Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 May 2013 (Sunday) 16:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Memory Cards

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 12, 2013 16:13 |  #1

Looking to get some new memory cards. Currently using SanDisk Extreme III.
I have upgraded camera to 1D Mark III. Suggestions on good cards to get.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 12, 2013 18:33 |  #2

Rob Galbraith has done extensive card speed comparisons for various cameras and cards. Unfortunately I can no longer find the 1D Mk3 on his site anymore. However, up until recently, a friend of mine was using the 8GB Sandisk Extreme iii SDHC cards in his 1D Mk3 as Rob rated them as about the fastest. In his CF card slot he had a Sandisk Evtreme 4 CF card which was slower to clear the buffer than these SDHC cards. This must be the only camera made that was faster with SDHC cards!
The 1D Mk3 is a very easy (and cheap) camera on cards these days!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ejhc11
161 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 14, 2013 10:33 |  #3

For CF - Lexar 1000x - the write speed is 145MB/s. For SD - Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC write speed up to 90MB/s.

Gear and Feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,004 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 14, 2013 12:02 |  #4

Those Sandisks should be pretty perfect.
The 1D MkIII can handle a lot of speed, but I doubt it can keep up with the fastest current cards.

On the newer 1D MkIV (as probably the closest up to date camera in the database) you can only get an extra 10MB/s or so out of the fastest lexar vs. the fastest Sandisk Extreme when shooting RAW
But that's 54MB/s vs 66MB/s... I doubt that extra 12 MB/s will amount to much for most shooting, and as mentioned, I donl;t think the MkIII will be able to ring that much advantage out of either card.
I could be wrong.

Unfortunately I can no longer find the 1D Mk3 on his site anymore

I was able to find an archive page, but it only went up to the original 1D and 1Ds and 20D..
So for some reason everything between "old" and Current models is hard to find or not there at all. Sad,. an archive database would have been nice.
I think the reasoning is the cards in the archives can't be had anymore, and they weren't going to keep testing them.

The older camera section;
http://www.robgalbrait​h.com/bins/multi_page.​asp?cid=7700 (external link)

Shame they haven't moved the stuff lost in the middle (the majority of tested camera models IMHO) to here.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bagman
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 14, 2013 12:06 |  #5

I have always heard good things about Lexar and Sandisk, but there are most certainly other good brands to consider. Sandisk seems to be $$, and Lexar I often find on sale for much more reasonable prices. I personaly would not spend mega-money on the fastest stuff around - unless you need it. It's technology. It only gets better and cheaper in time (generally speaking).

Patriot, and Kingston would be other options - though not sure you they make Compact Flash.

EOS 70D | Canon 70-200mm F4L IS | Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II | 430EX II | Lowepro Nova 170AW & Slingshot 202AW

40 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 14, 2013 13:10 |  #6

How fast a cf card is my 7d capable of using? I assume there is a point at which the extra money for faster cf cards is wasted.

sporadic
580 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2008

May 14, 2013 13:12 |  #7

I've always been keen on Transcend when it comes to bang for the buck. Just always research write speeds and make sure you're getting what you want though. For instance, Transcend's latest 1000x cards all have 160 MB/s read speads, but write speeds vary depending on card size. The 32-128GB models are 120MB/s while the 16GB is only 70MB/s (advertised speeds).

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | X-T3 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
Fringer EF-FX Pro
7D | 300/4 L IS

DarthSparky
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 14, 2013 14:28 |  #8

I love my Sandisk cards, and have gone through Extreme 3, Extreme, and now Extreme Pro. Speeds have always been great.

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.com (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 14, 2013 19:02 |  #9

ejhc11 wrote in post #15930931 (external link)
For CF - Lexar 1000x - the write speed is 145MB/s. For SD - Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC write speed up to 90MB/s.

I am sure your figures are correct but the Canon 1D3 cannot write that fast, so why buy faster/more expensive cards than it can fully utilise?
My friend was more than happy with the 8Gb Sandisk Extreme iii SDHC cards and had zero issues with clearing the buffer.
At an airshow (2 years ago) my 1d4 seized up twice (using much faster processors and cards) - his Mk3 did not, note we both shoot only in RAW.
The Sandisk 8GB Extreme iii SDHC cards are as cheap as chips these days, as fast as the camera can handle - why pay more?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

1,266 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Memory Cards
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.