Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 May 2013 (Monday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 RAW video! This is crazy!!

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 14, 2013 10:52 |  #31

mafoo wrote in post #15930957 (external link)
That's different. It's more like when HP made a personal printer, put the same internals in it that they had in there higher line printer, and then actually spent MORE money in development to make the printer slower.

The "engine" in the SL1 is the same "engine" that's in higher level cameras. It cost Canon nothing to add functionality. They chose to dumb it down, so it does not compete.

It's not always just a software limit even with the same parts.

To draw on the overclocking analogy further; the only difference between two processors may be that one runs slower. With processors though; they tend to all come off the same line and then get binned based on performance.

Direct example that may or may not be feasable: t5i shutter is the same as SL1. Both come off same assembly line; and get tested. Ones that test 'better' get put in t5i; those that aren't as perfect get put in SL1 where they're problems (one example, limited fps) are still within spec. Now; if Canons manufacturing process is good; they will have more t5i capable shutters coming off the line; so if you buy an SL1; Canon may have put a t5i capable shutter in it; and you can then use Magic Lantern to 'unlock' the extra FPS.

Or unlocking it with ML causes the camera to shake apart if it was in the original 'SL1' queue from failing t5i validation..

[6D]

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,943 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 14, 2013 10:59 |  #32

On the discussion of what canon knew and what they coded firmware for,

I am sure Canon more than anyone knows what the hardware is capable of.
Why would Canon release this as an option on this camera is the question?

This is an amazing thing, and for a certain select few, a very small select few, may in fact prove useful, but seriously, who really wants or needs this? And those that do, that truly do have a solid use for this capability, would the majority of that few not have the $$ to buy it in a camera that is actually capable of recording the data easier?

Comparisons were made early in this thread to the dedicated cinema cameras, these have many useability features designed specifically for the video movie market that our DSLRs lack. People aren't buying those cameras because they thought there would be an incremental IQ increase over a 5D3. They got them because of the interoperability with the cinema tools they use.

I am in no way poopooing this achievement, and I think the whole thing is amazing. I'm just saying, I don't think it's lack native support was neither a Canon conspiracy to withhold it, nor an underestimation of the the hardware by Canon, it was in fact most likely a decision of sheer practicality. How many 5D3 owners actually have use for the full potential of the RAW video? What percentage have any interest at all?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Crashoran
Goldmember
1,734 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 14, 2013 11:13 |  #33

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15931034 (external link)
How many 5D3 owners actually have use for the full potential of the RAW video? What percentage have any interest at all?

Probably the same percentage of people who like to shoot RAW images.

Check this out, insane:
http://vimeo.com/66083​408 (external link)

Crashoran
Goldmember
1,734 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 14, 2013 11:15 |  #34

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #15927624 (external link)
I think the write speed of SD cards is going to be the bottleneck for a 6D. If I remember correctly, CF still has the speed advantage.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s (external link)

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 14, 2013 11:24 |  #35

I'm just saying, I don't think it's lack native support was neither a Canon conspiracy to withhold it, nor an underestimation of the the hardware by Canon, it was in fact most likely a decision of sheer practicality. How many 5D3 owners actually have use for the full potential of the RAW video? What percentage have any interest at all?

I agree.

But the more we drive companies to perform, the more we win. An example, is years ago Intel had designed CPU's that they had no plans on releasing for years. They could have released them at any time, but realized they have an upgrade path that meant 2-3 versions in between could be released, and they could make far more money. Then AMD came along and forced them to release CPU's faster. We all win.

Right now Canon is the Intel of Cameras. They can make the equipment they release better, but it is counter productive to there goals (profit). So they have no reason to.

And I don't expect them to. But I want someone else (Sony, Nikon, Sigma) to light a fire under there ass, and get them moving :)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

juckerz
269 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 14, 2013 12:17 |  #36

Crashoran wrote in post #15931073 (external link)
Check this out, insane:
http://vimeo.com/66083​408 (external link)

That is completely insane.

Madwrench
633 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 14, 2013 12:52 as a reply to  @ juckerz's post |  #37

I was wondering how soon this would get to DSLRs. Last year GoPro showed that 4K raw video capability was consumer accessible when they released the $399 Hero3 Black. Not that the really high res is gonna get used much at the consumer level, though, at least not now.

Nice to see it coming along, anyway. That 5D3 footage is really cool, but those must be some massive files to work with.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,860 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 14, 2013 15:41 |  #38

I am in no way poopooing this achievement, and I think the whole thing is amazing. I'm just saying, I don't think it's lack native support was neither a Canon conspiracy to withhold it, nor an underestimation of the the hardware by Canon, it was in fact most likely a decision of sheer practicality. How many 5D3 owners actually have use for the full potential of the RAW video? What percentage have any interest at all?

I agree. while I think there will be a core user base that will use it, 3mins to fill a 32Gb card and the the processing know-how and time to produce final output will be large.

Since Canon does not have a raw video editor to go with the camera I can easily see how they would not bother to enable this functionality, even it they talked about it. Do they really want every video user trying to shoot raw or even every stills shooter who shoots raw and takes a few videos - almost certainly not. And probably not all that many video users should right now given hardware, software and processing constraints.

As you say still awesome and the ML team much be on a high with cracking the 7D and now this - and let's be honest that's why they do this stuff, because they enjoy the challenge.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 14, 2013 15:53 |  #39

The only thing I can see about this that's exciting to me, is you can pull perfect stills from the video. Here is one pulled from a 1080P movie shot in raw.

http://www.eoshd.com …s/2013/05/raw6-000010.jpg (external link)

You can go higher then that as well.. so what you end up with, is a camera capable of capturing images worthy of 8x10 printing, at 30 frames per second.

I think any still photographer would find use in that.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,943 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 14, 2013 15:56 |  #40

Yeah, I have to admit that's pretty amazing thought. :shock:

It's making the 1Dx's mere 14 FPS seem dog slow :lol:

What do you use to get the RAW files,. is RAW video actually just a huge stack of individual RAW photos?
As in WOW! A child could do it? (for stills that is)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Kaiser_photographer
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 14, 2013 16:09 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #41

Just impressive, turning an amazing camera into an even better one, would like to compare a still and a caption from a clip to see how good is the RAW video.

Gear List
FLICKR (external link)
FLICKR MPS (external link)

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 14, 2013 16:13 |  #42

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15931956 (external link)
Yeah, I have to admit that's pretty amazing thought. :shock:

It's making the 1Dx's mere 14 FPS seem dog slow :lol:

What do you use to get the RAW files,. is RAW video actually just a huge stack of individual RAW photos?
As in WOW! A child could do it? (for stills that is)

Not sure. it outputs a single RAW file with the frames in it. I suspect a tool exists (or could be written) to turn that file into individual RAW files.

Alex would know. he wrote it, and he is a member of this site!

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/member.p​hp?u=311330

Send him an IM, and ask :)

-Jeremy

Audionut11
112 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 14, 2013 21:52 |  #43

mafoo wrote in post #15932030 (external link)
Not sure. it outputs a single RAW file with the frames in it. I suspect a tool exists (or could be written) to turn that file into individual RAW files.

It's called RAW2DNG (external link)

As the name implies, it converts the RAW movie to individual DNG frames.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 14, 2013 22:00 |  #44

mafoo wrote in post #15931945 (external link)
The only thing I can see about this that's exciting to me, is you can pull perfect stills from the video. Here is one pulled from a 1080P movie shot in raw.

http://www.eoshd.com …s/2013/05/raw6-000010.jpg (external link)

You can go higher then that as well.. so what you end up with, is a camera capable of capturing images worthy of 8x10 printing, at 30 frames per second.

I think any still photographer would find use in that.

Not too useful as shutter speeds that make sharp still images tend to make choppy video and shutter speeds that make smooth video leave motion blurred stills.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Audionut11
112 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 14, 2013 22:15 |  #45

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15933091 (external link)
Not too useful as shutter speeds that make sharp still images tend to make choppy video and shutter speeds that make smooth video leave motion blurred stills.

Silent burst will give you around 30 RAW frames in a second @ 1928x1288.

sponsored links

13,496 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 RAW video! This is crazy!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.