Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 May 2013 (Tuesday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Travel workflow advice wanted

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 14, 2013 10:42 |  #1

So I will be travelling overseas for a couple of weeks and wanted to get some thoughts. I'll be packing light, just taking my Samsung NX100 mirrorless and a netbook but I will have access to a 60D at some point.

I don't imagine I'll be doing vast amounts of photography but I'm quite used to backing up my data right after a shoot. Going two weeks without a backup seems risky to me. I shoot mainly in RAW but not having access to Lightroom will mean they won't get touched for the most part until I come back.

So... suggestions?

I have a Flickr pro subscription and that allows me unlimited uploads but won't take raw files. I also have a Box account with 25GB available. For local storage I have the netbook and external hard drive (which is probably 500GB all up).

Joel

sponsored links
drmaxx
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 14, 2013 15:37 |  #2

Not quite sure where you are traveling to - but if you depend on 'public' internet access (hotels, ...) then you don't count on having enough bandwidth to upload serious amounts of pictures. Just buy a second usb stick or an external 2.5" HD (or 3 or 4 what ever makes you feel save or expected memory needs). And make backups with your netbook. Don't keep them all in the same place....

Donate if you love POTN

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 14, 2013 16:34 |  #3

I don't know what a Netbook will handle, but if you want to quickly get a usable jpeg while shooting Raw, I'd say your options are either to shoot Raw+jpeg (at a size that will suit your short-term needs) or else use an app like FastStone that can extract the "embedded" jpeg from the Raw file. That way you can use/upload the jpegs and at the same time back up your Raw to the external HD for more "serious" work in Lightroom...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 14, 2013 16:58 |  #4

drmaxx wrote in post #15931899 (external link)
Not quite sure where you are traveling to - but if you depend on 'public' internet access (hotels, ...) then you don't count on having enough bandwidth to upload serious amounts of pictures. Just buy a second usb stick or an external 2.5" HD (or 3 or 4 what ever makes you feel save or expected memory needs). And make backups with your netbook. Don't keep them all in the same place....

You're right bad internet will make any online storage a moot point. What kind of access I'll have is undetermined at this stage. I almost pulled the trigger on a 1TB drive the other night, maybe I'll need to revisit that...

tonylong wrote in post #15932097 (external link)
I don't know what a Netbook will handle, but if you want to quickly get a usable jpeg while shooting Raw, I'd say your options are either to shoot Raw+jpeg (at a size that will suit your short-term needs) or else use an app like FastStone that can extract the "embedded" jpeg from the Raw file. That way you can use/upload the jpegs and at the same time back up your Raw to the external HD for more "serious" work in Lightroom...

Once upon a time I installed LR4 on the netbook and even tried the Develop module. Needless to say I will not be trying it again - ah, if only you could disable modules and not just hide them. I will be installing FastStone and still debating whether I should shoot raw+jpeg (actually only confirmed the NX100 will do this today).

Joel

armis
890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

May 15, 2013 04:34 |  #5

Wait, do you just need backup or image editing capability? If just backup, can't you just get a $10 SD card reader and back up to netbook and/or external drive? Will you realistically need more than 500 Gb during that trip? If so, all you need is a bigger drive.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 15, 2013 10:02 |  #6

armis wrote in post #15933716 (external link)
Wait, do you just need backup or image editing capability? If just backup, can't you just get a $10 SD card reader and back up to netbook and/or external drive? Will you realistically need more than 500 Gb during that trip? If so, all you need is a bigger drive.

You're right I really only need backup as I don't intend to edit, I'll be using FastStone to cull anything not worth keeping. However, my typical regimen is to have a working copy of my files and two separate backups (one at home, one at work).

The netbook has a built-in card reader so I'm good there. Not too much storage on it though, like 90GB free at the moment. Of course I will be dumping everything to external hard drive (looking at buying a 1TB to bring) but if the drive dies or gets lost / stolen that would suck.

I think I will shoot RAW+JPEG, copy files to external hard drive and upload JPEGs to Flickr when time allows.

But heck I'm no travel photographer so maybe this is all for naught. :p

Joel

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 15, 2013 10:50 |  #7

I am going on a trip and my plan is as follows.

- While out shooting, have my 5D3 writing RAW files to one card, JPG's to the other.
- In the evening, import RAW files to my laptop LR catalog. I'm bringing my regular editing machine with me.
- Copy RAW files to external 2.5" drive.
- Format memory cards for next day.

Just need to work out where to keep my laptop and external drive once we see what our accommodations are like. Hopefully this is enough. In the past I've just copied to my laptop once a day. I'm just adding the external drive and utilizing the 5D3 dual cards. The jpeg images will only come into play if the RAW card fails before I get the files to the computer. I would do RAW to both, but don't want to buy another large card. I'm not concerned with speed, so I am using larger SD cards and the 16 GB CF card I had with my 5D2. Looks like I can write roughly 64 gig of RAWs in the space 16 gig of jpg's will take up.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 15, 2013 10:53 |  #8

I would buy more memory cards and then try not to delete anything off the cards until you get home. The first backup would be to the netbook.

I was thinking about getting 2 drives and a small laptop (probably an 11" air) to backup while traveling.
http://www.lacie.com/p​roducts/product.htm?id​=10599 (external link)
A 256 GB SSD and a 1TB.
That way I have one solid state backup and one spinning backup. The solid state drive would be instead of buying more memory cards.

A figure a 256GB drive is about (8) 32GB cards. I do not shoot video. Just timelapse and stills. The SSD should cover me for a week of shooting without any issues.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

armis
890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

May 15, 2013 10:57 |  #9

Heath wrote in post #15934616 (external link)
I would buy more memory cards and then try not to delete anything off the cards until you get home.

Agreed.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 15, 2013 11:04 |  #10

I may attempt to do that with the cards I have. I am taking a family trip to Hawaii for 2 weeks. I have never been that selective in the shots I take, only in the shots I share. I think on our previous "big" vacations I averaged about 100 shots per day, give or take. So between my 32 gig SD and (3) 16's I already have I could probably make it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I also didn't mention, my first backup in my laptop is an SSD. And I have a spinning HDD in my laptop as well, so I could have the files on 4 drives (SD, SSD, HDD, external) A bit paranoid, but photography is a big part of the trip for me, and it's an expensive trip so I don't want to risk losing anything.

Edit: I'm questioning that 100 shots per day. I've taken that many around the house in recent times with the kids. Anyway, I'm going to keep everything until I need to start deleting. But I will probably be trying to put everything on all 3 drives I have as we go. My father-in-law will also be shooting and I am going to back up his shots as well.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 15, 2013 11:18 |  #11

I would buy some additional cards (2) 32GB or (1) 64GB for the trip. You could probably sell them close to cost after the trip if you don't think you will need them anymore.

Don't limit your photography due to memory. (Unless you are doing it as a special project or something)

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 15, 2013 12:20 |  #12

tonylong wrote in post #15932097 (external link)
I'd say your options are either to shoot Raw+jpeg (at a size that will suit your short-term needs) or else use an app like FastStone that can extract the "embedded" jpeg from the Raw file.

I had forgotten all about this utility:

http://michaeltapesdes​ign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html (external link)

Much faster than FastStone, I believe FS is doing an actual conversion to JPEG as opposed to just extracting the preview. So no need to shoot RAW+JPEG really. I did a test and the JPEG previews are full res 14MP.

Thanks for the reminder!

randy98mtu wrote in post #15934604 (external link)
I am going on a trip and my plan is as follows.

- While out shooting, have my 5D3 writing RAW files to one card, JPG's to the other.
- In the evening, import RAW files to my laptop LR catalog. I'm bringing my regular editing machine with me.
- Copy RAW files to external 2.5" drive.
- Format memory cards for next day.

Looks like a solid plan, main difference for me is lack of an editing laptop.

Heath wrote in post #15934616 (external link)
I would buy more memory cards and then try not to delete anything off the cards until you get home. The first backup would be to the netbook.

I was thinking about getting 2 drives and a small laptop (probably an 11" air) to backup while traveling.
http://www.lacie.com/p​roducts/product.htm?id​=10599 (external link)
A 256 GB SSD and a 1TB.
That way I have one solid state backup and one spinning backup. The solid state drive would be instead of buying more memory cards.

A figure a 256GB drive is about (8) 32GB cards. I do not shoot video. Just timelapse and stills. The SSD should cover me for a week of shooting without any issues.

armis wrote in post #15934632 (external link)
Agreed.

Right now I have the following SD cards:

1 x 32GB
2 x 16GB
4 x 8GB

That puts me at 96GB or 3200+ images without deleting anything. I think it's enough but I guess I won't know until I run out. :)

I like the idea of an external SSD drive but a bit out of my price range!

Joel

sponsored links

1,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
Travel workflow advice wanted
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.