Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 May 2013 (Friday) 00:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The best part of photography....

Wormtail
44 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 17, 2013 15:42 |  #16

Growing up, I always wished that I could draw....I would have given anything to have an ounce of creative ability, but it wasn't in the cards for me. Then I picked up a camera when I became a teenager and it gave me an incredible amount of freedom to express myself. I'm not saying that I'm all that creative now, but photography is something that I love and will always enjoy.

Canon 300D / 18-55mm / Nikon D3000 / 18-55mm

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,984 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 17, 2013 17:30 |  #17

The thing I loved the most is something that I don't get with photography these days. Seeing the image appear like it does on the paper in the dev dish in the dark room. And the smell, modern photography just doesn't smell right any more.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 17, 2013 17:36 |  #18

Making money. That's THE best part. I mean, we need it to live, and I can't think of a better way to make it.

Other than that, I'd say it's making people look better than they do in reality, and getting those excited, appreciative reactions from them.

Lots of Facebook Likes don't hurt.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 17, 2013 20:36 |  #19

The best part of photography... is Folgers in your cup!

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 18, 2013 04:41 |  #20

When kids in youth theatre get to see pictures of themselves on stage.

IMAGE: http://performancephoto.us/images/POTN/Castpparty.jpg

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 18, 2013 07:02 |  #21

Very cool, Curtis.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,696 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 18, 2013 09:14 |  #22

Total immersion.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 18, 2013 09:29 |  #23

I love teaching a DSLR rookie how to get out of the green box mode...

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 18, 2013 10:14 |  #24

cdifoto wrote in post #15942264 (external link)
Making money. That's THE best part. I mean, we need it to live, and I can't think of a better way to make it.

Other than that, I'd say it's making people look better than they do in reality, and getting those excited, appreciative reactions from them.

Lots of Facebook Likes don't hurt.

Yep - Payday is the best bit for me.
Followed very closely by seeing my work in the paper, getting a "great job" from the PicEd, meeting all sort of cool people and hearing their story's (and I really mean all sorts of people, from homeless people sitting in a park, to CEOs, sporting heroes, and just everyday people) getting to cover some awesome events (I have shot bands from ACDC to ZZ Top, AFL footy, V8 Supercars, Aust Rally Championship, Netball, Basketball, Gymnastics, Protests, Celebrations - all sorts of stuff)
And I get to see things and places most people don't see (the Abrohlos islands, backstage at the Perth Arena and Heath Ledger theater - construction at the Arena and theater, an Underground mine Simulator, less than a mile from Perth's CBD, hospital operating rooms, WA Police's new helicopter, bushfires close up and from the air)

Actually I will say payday is the last on the list, I have the best job in the world, I get paid to do something I love - and I don't spend much time in an office staring at a screen !

This is my office most days
(15" MacBook pro, 2x 1dmk4, 16-35 and 70-200)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …BA829FF46_zps9d​5c1fb2.jpg (external link)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 18, 2013 10:36 |  #25

Gingerjam wrote in post #15940222 (external link)
I enjoy providing images that other people are pleased with - nothing better than the people you are shooting loving the result!

This is it for me.

I haven't found my niche in photography yet (although I've been at it since 2008), but as an elementary teacher who shoots everyday, I really enjoy sending emails to parents of their kids. It brings me a lot of happiness.

I suppose in our goofy society (USA) there is always that stigma of the creepy guy taking pictures of children, but in my case that hasn't been a problem. The kids and the parents are so kind and trusting of me, and I appreciate it so much because it allows me to take a ton of photos of kids (recess, chorus performances, projects, etc.).

And since the parents are so kind enough to trust me, I send them tons of photos (and most of the yearbook shots are mine).

The only downside is that I can't use any of them for a portfolio because of strict confidentiality rules in my profession. My best photos aren't seen publicly (except through the yearbook). Pooey!

But the thing is: That's not really what I want to be my niche. Even though I love taking pictures of the kids, what I really want to do is Professional Surfing! Someday I'll pursue that (when I move back to the coast someday or have money to travel).

I'm also exploring landscape photography and want to investigate macro.

Like I said, I don't have a niche. Just a desire to be artistic.

A response should include a pic or two, right?

Here's an HDR I did that I like (and people compliment occasionally)

IMAGE: http://mtkk.smugmug.com/Art/Art/i-mNqLgZT/0/L/senoia%20coffee%20shop3-L.jpg

Thank you. bw!

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 18, 2013 11:15 |  #26

My favorite part is finding and shooting subjects. I'm very selective in what I shoot now compared to when I began, and its a lot more rewarding now when I find something I want to shoot. I also love viewing the image on ground glass.

chrismarriott66
797 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 18, 2013 12:00 |  #27

Echo63 wrote in post #15943780 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Nice to see a spiderpro with a rapidstrap in the bottom - I do that quite a bit :)

Chris Marriott Photography (external link)| Facebook (external link)
Complete Gear | 1ds iii | 5d iii | 50d | EF 16-35 f2.8 L USM ii | EF 24-70 f2.8 L USM | Σ 70-200 f2.8 ii EX DG HSM | Σ 35mm f1.4 Art | EF 50mm f1.4 USM | EF 85mm f1.8 USM | EF 85mm f1.2 L USM ii | 600EX-RT | 580EX ii | 430EX ii | YN622Cs |

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 18, 2013 12:14 |  #28

chrismarriott66 wrote in post #15944023 (external link)
Nice to see a spiderpro with a rapidstrap in the bottom - I do that quite a bit :)

The Spiderholster is the best way I have found for carrying a camera !
But the Blackrapid is great for working in a helicopter, climbing ladders, working at height or around water, it is also great outside court or anywhere else when I need to switch between bodies quickly, I can just drop the long lens and snatch up the wide - without having to holster the long lens first.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

romanv
223 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 18, 2013 20:56 |  #29

I mainly like landscape type stuff, so sometimes I go somewhere because I feel like taking some pictures, and see something bloody amazing that I wouldnt have seen otherwise.

So I guess for me photography is kind of a complimentary hobby to something else, and they both reinforce each other.
Going somewhere awesome makes me want to take pics...
Taking awesome pics makes me want to go somewhere!

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

May 18, 2013 21:04 |  #30

The best part is coming home, dumping the photos on my computer, and go to work on them. Seeing what I started off with in camera and the final product after hours and layers in Photoshop makes it really rewarding, then to have people love my work is just the cherry on top. I have always loved the technical aspect of photography in the gear and putting in the time for post production, but also the art aspect of the final product. Its what attracted me to photography and its what keeps me going.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,499 views & 0 likes for this thread
The best part of photography....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.