Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 May 2013 (Tuesday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cheapest setup for off-camera flash?

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 24, 2013 08:59 |  #31

Hibino wrote in post #15962492 (external link)
what's the cheapest way to allow wireless flash power control?

I've got some el cheapo no-name triggers ($10) from ebay but it's a pain to always have to go up to the flash to change the settings.

there is no cheap way

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,164 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 24, 2013 09:08 as a reply to  @ Gregg.Siam's post |  #32

No, but there certainly is a cheapest, regardless of how expensive it is.
Staying within the brand, it must reasonably be a Canon EOS body with remote control via the built-in flash and then something like the 430 EX II.

Anders

Hibino
60 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 24, 2013 09:50 |  #33

Can a YN-622 do it or do you need yongnuo flashes?

7D | Tamron 24-70 ƒ/2.8 | 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II | Sigma 35mm ƒ/1.4 | Tokina 11-16mm ƒ/2.8 | 430EX II | YN-568EX II

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 24, 2013 10:03 |  #34

I've got some el cheapo no-name triggers ($10) from ebay but it's a pain to always have to go up to the flash to change the settings.

These aren't cheap and I'm not sure if they're the cheapest.

http://www.ebay.com …motes&hash=item​257e4def36 (external link)

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 24, 2013 10:55 |  #35

The YN-622C are currently the cheapest trigger option -
http://flashhavoc.com/​yn622c_review/ (external link)

And an ETTL flash like the YN-568EX (or Canon MKII flash) -
http://flashhavoc.com/​yongnuo-yn-568ex-review/ (external link)

Though the YN-560 III is likely to become the cheapest option at some point, once a new transmitter is released which will likely allow remote manual power control (though no HSS or TTL) -
http://flashhavoc.com/​yongnuo-yn-560-iii-review/ (external link)

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,627 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 24, 2013 11:17 |  #36

You already have this capability in the 7D.. It's free!...

The wireless flash commander in the 7D/60D/T3i is quite a sophisticated system and will work in anything but broad daylight with no direct visual contact. For studio conditions you'd have no problem...

Now if you have studio flashes rather than Canon-compatible speedlites, then.. look above.

I'd go for the 622-C myself, but I don't have to...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 26, 2013 13:37 |  #37

what are the pros and cons of the 622c and pocketwizards, canon st e2\3?
Will I miss a key feature by going with the cheapest system?

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 26, 2013 18:46 |  #38

elv wrote in post #15963121 (external link)
Though the YN-560 III is likely to become the cheapest option at some point, once a new transmitter is released which will likely allow remote manual power control (though no HSS or TTL) -
http://flashhavoc.com/​yongnuo-yn-560-iii-review/ (external link)

Has anyone seen anything to suggest this is actually something possible with the 560-III?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

May 27, 2013 09:54 |  #39

Romax12 wrote in post #15969290 (external link)

I don't think so. In many ways, 622's are much better than the original canon system, being able to do second curtain sync, for example, and the old canon can't. Not limited to line of sight, or being unable to function in bright sun are some other problems with the canon older canon system.

PW are the industry gold standard, and you pay for it. I for one can't see what PW can do that my 622's can't that I would need. For an hobbiest, these are perfect. I don't have any plans to go with PW anytime soon. Many wedding photographers have also switched to these units, so they are being used by the pros.

The new canon system is much better, but I still think there may be things the yn6622's do that the new system doesn't, but the new system does have features that IF you have a body introduced in 2012 or newer, you can take advantage of them (expanded grouping feature, for example)

If you are a pro and need the very best, and the most rugged, then PW are a no brainer. But for anyone else, I think the yn-622's should be checked out to see if they will fit your needs.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 27, 2013 11:33 |  #40

ksbal wrote in post #15971843 (external link)
I don't think so. In many ways, 622's are much better than the original canon system, being able to do second curtain sync, for example, and the old canon can't. Not limited to line of sight, or being unable to function in bright sun are some other problems with the canon older canon system.

PW are the industry gold standard, and you pay for it. I for one can't see what PW can do that my 622's can't that I would need. For an hobbiest, these are perfect. I don't have any plans to go with PW anytime soon. Many wedding photographers have also switched to these units, so they are being used by the pros.

The new canon system is much better, but I still think there may be things the yn6622's do that the new system doesn't, but the new system does have features that IF you have a body introduced in 2012 or newer, you can take advantage of them (expanded grouping feature, for example)

If you are a pro and need the very best, and the most rugged, then PW are a no brainer. But for anyone else, I think the yn-622's should be checked out to see if they will fit your needs.

Thanks alot! I think im gonna go for the yn!

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 27, 2013 12:04 |  #41

There is a 622-C thread here. It's several pages long and people are reporting their successes and failures using them in different configurations with different lights and different bodies. Check it out.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1212530

Edit: added link

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

inkista
663 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 27, 2013 13:30 |  #42

Romax12 wrote in post #15969290 (external link)

Possibly, possibly not.

Between the 622c and PWs, the PWs allow for more sophisticated control over the sync timing (hypersync), better range, better reliability and overall better components, as well as compatibility with all the other PW triggers in the range. They're pro-grade. YN are consumer-grade. If you go with YN-622c, they are incompatible with Yongnuo's RF-602s & RF-603s (you can stack triggers, but...), and there's no reason to believe they'll be compatible with anything Yongnuo comes out with in the future.

OTOH, as a hobbyist, you're unlikely to miss these features and the cost savings are appreciable.

vs. the ST-E2, the YN-622cs offer much MORE function, as well as radio over optical, so there's really no contest, here. YN-622c all the way.

vs. the ST-E3, otoh, you only gain 2nd curtain sync. With 600EX-RT flashes (and, one assumes, whatever replaces the 430EXII, and future cheapie YN ripoffs :), and a 2012 or newer body, you'd gain the ability to control the camera shutter from the remote flash, ID codes which effectively expand your channel choices to 10,000+ channels, 5 groups vs. 3 groups, and Groups mode where you can mix the modes of the remote flashes and still remotely control them from the camera LCD (the YN-622cs allow you to mix TTL and manual, but you must set the flashes from the individual flash). And, of course, the radio triggering is integrated into the units, so you don't need to bring extra batteries, cables, and triggers with you--just your speedlights.

Again, as with the PWs, as a hobbyist you may not miss any of these features, and the cost savings is appreciative.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sponsored links

7,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
cheapest setup for off-camera flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.