Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 May 2013 (Tuesday) 15:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trading a 7D for a Nikon D7100?!?!

CtrlAltElite
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 22, 2013 06:51 |  #16

jocau wrote in post #15955288 (external link)
Definitely hold a D7100 in your hands before you buy it. I went to a store last weekend to see if they had a 5D3 demo camera. Sadly enough they didn't, but I played around a bit with different cameras (e.g. a 7D, a D600 and a D7100). The Nikon cameras felt horrible in my hands. I really preferred the 7D ergonomically. What I'm saying is: a camera is more than only specifications.

At least you played with the Nikon. I picked it up, and put it right back down. The ergonomics feel horrendous to me. And the whole thing feels cheap. (D600) Just my thoughts.

sponsored links
Birdwatcher86
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 22, 2013 08:23 |  #17

deadheadtoday wrote in post #15955296 (external link)
I'm new here, came here hoping this site would be a bit different i.e., more professional than so many of the other web sites I have frequented. I may be mistaken in that respect.

Why does anyone come onto a forum related to Canon (or Nikon) cameras telling why they are leaving brand Canon, or Nikon, or any other brand for that matter? Can't you just go quietly into the night? Jump to a Nikon (or any other brand you choose) forum and sing its praise there, but please spare us the song and dance routine as to why you're leaving brand X,Y, Or Z. To be honest, I don't care why you are leaving, and I doubt many others do either. Just leave and take up a new life elsewhere, sing the praises of your new brand on their forums knowing we wish you the beast of luck with your new choice. Again, please just go quietly.

DHT

I'm assuming you are referring to me since I am the OP...

I merely opened up a discussion on this topic, that is the main reason behind forums; to discuss! I never said that I was leaving Canon and getting another brand (e.g, Nikon). I only opened up a conversation as to what the new Nikon camera is all about. What better place to ask than a forum with real life experienced individuals? And a place with many talented and amazing amateur, as well as professional photographers. This is the most professional forum that I have read personally. In fact, your post may be one of the few unprofessional I've seen in some time.

Michael
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/58782637@N07/ (external link)

Birdwatcher86
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 22, 2013 08:35 |  #18

jhayesvw wrote in post #15955226 (external link)
One thing to think about is Nikon's lens selection.

Nikon doesnt currently have a 400 5.6 with AF that I know of.
They do have a 300 f4.

So, unless you want to drop $5k on a lens you may want to stick with the 7d.
Ive considered switching to Nikon but always stop because of their long lens choices.

This is so true! Didn't know much about the Nikon lens lineup until recently and they are very limited on the long range. I am not at a point in my life to be able to drop down $5-10k on something that is being used for a hobby alone with no overturning profits. So this factors in very heavily!

Thanks for your input.

Michael

elitejp
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 22, 2013 09:33 |  #19

Birdwatcher86 wrote in post #15956111 (external link)
I'm assuming you are referring to me since I am the OP...

I merely opened up a discussion on this topic, that is the main reason behind forums; to discuss! I never said that I was leaving Canon and getting another brand (e.g, Nikon). I only opened up a conversation as to what the new Nikon camera is all about. What better place to ask than a forum with real life experienced individuals? And a place with many talented and amazing amateur, as well as professional photographers. This is the most professional forum that I have read personally. In fact, your post may be one of the few unprofessional I've seen in some time.

And this is why this forum is such a valuable tool. Of course you get some really defensive people that will defend canon to the death but many talk about the attributes of both systems knowing that you really cant go wrong either way.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Jon_Doh
876 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

May 22, 2013 09:56 |  #20

Perhaps you should go to a Nikon forum and post the question and ask for experiences from D7100 owners and Canon switchers.

The 7100 is a lot of camera. Its 24 mp sensor produces beautiful JPEGS that don't have that overcooked plasticy digital look to them. And it autofocus is way ahead of the 7D -51 points vs 19.

I use a Kodak Brownie

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,675 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 22, 2013 10:00 as a reply to  @ elitejp's post |  #21

I recently made the switch to Nikon and picked up a D800/D7100 combo. Having had the 7d also, I'll make some simple comparisons.

- AF Speed: Both cameras are super fast focusing and pretty accurate most of the time. Both are pretty customizable. The D7100 has 51 AF points and 24mp vs the 7d's 19 and 18. Canon's AF points are all cross type vs Nikon's 15.

- Build/Ergonomics: Two different camera bodies, both weather resistant, both felling completely different. The 7d has a rugged, hefty feel to it, while the 7100 feels slightly more compact and cheaper. Ergos are similar but different and just take some getting use too. Some are gonna like it, some not.

- Buffer: Nikon has gotten crucified for putting a small buffer in the 7100 - most testing is showing that the camera slows down greatly around a 9-shot burst and it takes several seconds to clear the buffer. If you never shoot longer bursts, no big deal. Decided advantage to the 7d if you shoot bursts.

- IQ: Both cameras are capable of excellent picture IQ. 7100 wins in the noise department though IMO. Easily cleaned up in PP and relatively fine and unnoticeable until ISO 3200.

- 1.3x Crop mode: Nikon includes this though I have made little to no use of it. You have the ability to "crop" in-camera and give your lens the appearance of using a 2x TC. Not sure on the math, but it's been discussed and proven, so a little research will help you here. It does cut the file from 24mp to about 15mp, so the only use I can see for doing it in-camera would be saving some card space.

Overall, I have been pleased with the 7100. I was also pleased with the 7d, less the noisy images. There's pros about both and cons about both. You really should go hold the 7100 and see if it fits you, literally and figuratively.

As for lenses, yes Nikon is a little behind on the mid-level platform. They have a 300 f4 which is highly regarded, but it lacks VR. No 400 5.6 and their version of the 100-400 (80-400 in Nikon world) smokes Canon's but costs double. 70-200 wise, a little focusing breathing but quality is on par with Canon.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 22, 2013 10:04 |  #22

CtrlAltElite wrote in post #15955899 (external link)
At least you played with the Nikon. I picked it up, and put it right back down. The ergonomics feel horrendous to me. And the whole thing feels cheap. (D600) Just my thoughts.

I agree. When I pick up Phase One or a Leica, it definitely feels cheap. ;)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 22, 2013 10:09 |  #23

Jon_Doh wrote in post #15956448 (external link)
Perhaps you should go to a Nikon forum and post the question and ask for experiences from D7100 owners and Canon switchers.

The 7100 is a lot of camera. Its 24 mp sensor produces beautiful JPEGS that don't have that overcooked plasticy digital look to them. And it autofocus is way ahead of the 7D -51 points vs 19.

There are a bunch of features that impress me the most on the D7100. 24 MPs on target which is certainly useful for the nature/action shooter, no AA filter for that extra bump in IQ, the 51 AF points as opposed to 18 on the 7D, and impressive high ISO. :)

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 22, 2013 10:35 |  #24

My brother shoots a D3100 with the kit lens and a 55-300 VR (I think that's what it is). I have much fancier, more expensive Canon bodies and lenses, primarily because I can afford it. Big deal. It is still the artist, not the tool. He is quite content with his D3100.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 22, 2013 10:43 |  #25

Tommy1957 wrote in post #15956564 (external link)
My brother shoots a D3100 with the kit lens and a 55-300 VR (I think that's what it is). I have much fancier, more expensive Canon bodies and lenses, primarily because I can afford it. Big deal. It is still the artist, not the tool. He is quite content with his D3100.

That's great. Some of the comments here are turning it into a Canon vs. Nikon thread. The OP is simply asking how the D7100 is as a camera. If he wants to switch for certain reasons then it's his choice. If I was in the market for a budget crop camera, it would definitely be the D7100 and the new 80-400 VR.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 22, 2013 11:01 |  #26

Birdwatcher86 wrote in post #15954707 (external link)
These are the types of examples I'm looking for!

Thanks for your input. I understand that a camera is just a "tool", but that doesn't mean that all tools are created equal.

This is what you're looking for? Someone supposedly hates something, with no follow up details on why? A tool is only as good as the person using it. The best tool made for the job won't hide any shortcomings. If you want to switch, go for it. You really can't lose going with either Nikon or Canon. We like to talk about one over the other but the truth of the matter is that both companies produce a superior photographic product and as the consumer, we benefit.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Birdwatcher86
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 22, 2013 11:09 |  #27

elrey2375 wrote in post #15956655 (external link)
This is what you're looking for? Someone supposedly hates something, with no follow up details on why? A tool is only as good as the person using it. The best tool made for the job won't hide any shortcomings. If you want to switch, go for it. You really can't lose going with either Nikon or Canon. We like to talk about one over the other but the truth of the matter is that both companies produce a superior photographic product and as the consumer, we benefit.

Not sure you completely understand what I meant here... I mean this is what I'm looking for in the sense that the poster gave an actual example of real world experience with the camera. No matter positive or negative. And yes I agree hates is a strong word. But it was an opinion non the less. As I have said before, I am not convinced I am switching... it's a matter of discussion.

Again thanks for the replies!

Michael

Kei_7
51 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 22, 2013 11:36 |  #28

BrickR wrote in post #15954128 (external link)
Agreed.

Have you held the D7100? I would recommend renting it for a few days to know for yourself instead of going on what other people say. You may find you hate the ergonomics, you may find you love it, you may find it isn't worth it, you may find it is.
The point is, if you rent it you will know if it is worth it for you rather than going by what a bunch of strangers on the internet with different wants/likes/needs think.

Hogloff wrote in post #15954809 (external link)
What exactly was wrong with the D7000/7100?

Saying someone hates something is very strong and should be followed up with details.

My thoughts exactly, considering the amount of money that you would be spending on the camera. If you're willing to spend $1k or so on the camera body alone, another $100 won't break you (if it does, then it's NOT time to buy a camera lol) to rent the camera first.

Renting it will tell you WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than reading any other member's thoughts no matter how well they describe it. That and easily the most important part is that you'll have no idea what it feels like in your hands which is very important. Until a few of the more 'recent' bodies I've never been able to be happy using the Canon lineup due to the way they feel in my hands. The equipment from both camps is excellent at all levels, but it's still not for everyone.

I'm a huge fan of the D2X/D3/D200/300/700/80​0 and such bodies because they feel incredible in my hand all the way down to the material they use for the grippy bits. You would never know that if you didn't touch it with your own paws.

The D7000/7100/600 are all smaller, and don't use as much of that material so while technically they might be superior to the above mentioned cameras (minus the D800)...doesn't matter if it feels weird in your hand or has one/two hangups to what you might want.

Enough rambling....go rent that thing with a 35mm f/1.8 now! Let us know what you think :)

Kei

(I've been wondering that myself, but knowing the size is smaller, and material I have to rent them first to see if I can happily adapt to it)

Nikon D1h, Nikon D200, Tamron 17-50 VC f/2.8, Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 EX, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, SB600, YN560II

a_roadbiker
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 22, 2013 12:10 |  #29

I don't know if I can agree that the 7D is an aging platform. It has only been out for a few years and by all accounts it is a great camera. My cousin bought one last year for nature/birding shots and he loves it. Also, many of the spec's on the 7D are very similar to, and in some cases better than those of some of Canon's FF models. IMO, if you are happy with and used to the camera, why go through the exercise of swapping it and your lenses for a Nikon, or any other for that matter. Personally I don't think that having the latest and greatest is always the measure of a good photographer or photograph, as has similarly been pointed out earlier in this thread. I've been shooting with my 40D since 2009 and I love it. I did just purchase a 5DM3 (should arrive any day), but that was primarily because of the type of photography I am getting into and I need to have a FF camera, plus a primary and backup camera, the latter of which will be my 40D.

Jim

Click here to see a list of My Stuff

Visit my flickr (external link)
Like me on Facebook (external link)
www.jmaurophoto.com (external link)

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 22, 2013 12:44 |  #30

Hogloff wrote in post #15954809 (external link)
What exactly was wrong with the D7000/7100?

Saying someone hates something is very strong and should be followed up with details.

She had major AF issues with the D7000, she had to send it back to Nikon 2 or 3 times before they finally just replaced it. The new one is better, but still nowhere near as good as the 7D.

The D7100 had more noise at all ISO levels than the D7000, and the AF was no better.

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

sponsored links

12,409 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trading a 7D for a Nikon D7100?!?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.