Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Jan 2006 (Wednesday) 21:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do you guys use manual? AV makes more sense.

chrishunt
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 18, 2006 21:28 |  #1

I am by no means an expert on sports photography, but I know that I desire at least 1/500 and minimum DOF when shooting sports. It makes sense to me use AV, open up the aperture as wide as I can, and bump my ISO as needed to hit the 1/500 + mark. This way, I have minimum DOF and always the fastest shutter possible for each particular shot.

Why do so many of you shoot in manual or TV for sports? I wouldn't like TV because my DOV may be increased, which is bad (for me), and manual seems strange because lighting conditions change rapidly when outdoors and vary indoors as well depending on where you stand.

I always use custom WB, but am I missing something by not using manual exposure?

sponsored links
Croasdail
making stuff up
6,716 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 18, 2006 21:38 |  #2

Well, there are so many things that can trick the camera's readings, glare from the floor, light colored uniforms, etc. By reading off of skin tons, then locking that down, you can be assured the people in the shot come out looking proper. That is my reasoning... not sure about anyone else....

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Tom ­ Reid
213 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 18, 2006 21:41 |  #3

Good question burnt. I always shoot manual so I can drop the shutter speed to grab a slightly overexposed yet managable closeup player shot in between the action.

http://www.tomreidphot​ography.com/ (external link)

Unless a man undertakes more than he possibly can do, he will never do all that he can. ( ~Henry Drummond )

cyber_m0nkey
701 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 18, 2006 21:47 |  #4

If the lighting that your shooting in is reasonably consistent then go M if it is variable the shoot TV and fix the background in PP if necessary. Better to get the shot with too much DOF then not at all...

Images (external link)

Gear

chrishunt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 18, 2006 21:51 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #5

Croasdail wrote:
Well, there are so many things that can trick the camera's readings, glare from the floor, light colored uniforms, etc. By reading off of skin tons, then locking that down, you can be assured the people in the shot come out looking proper. That is my reasoning... not sure about anyone else....

That makes sense, but if shooting outdoors, don't you get some photos that are radically over or under exposed because of the light changes? Do you have to constantly chimp the histogram to check your manual settings?

Bass ­ Ackwards
117 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 18, 2006 21:53 as a reply to  @ cyber_m0nkey's post |  #6

cyber_m0nkey wrote:
If the lighting that your shooting in is reasonably consistent then go M if it is variable the shoot TV and fix the background in PP if necessary. Better to get the shot with too much DOF then not at all...

I agree with you cyber...better to get the shot and fix it later. I use manual because I can under/over expose to my hearts desire, and PP it later. I would rather lose a little DOF than get a blurry image, just my .02...

Getting out of photography for now...

chrishunt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 18, 2006 21:53 as a reply to  @ Tom Reid's post |  #7

Tom Reid wrote:
Good question burnt. I always shoot manual so I can drop the shutter speed to grab a slightly overexposed yet managable closeup player shot in between the action.

Why would you lower the shutter speed and overexpose to get a closeup? Wouldn't a higher shutter speed and a properly exposed image be more managable? :confused:

chrishunt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 18, 2006 21:58 as a reply to  @ Bass Ackwards's post |  #8

Bass Ackwards wrote:
I agree with you cyber...better to get the shot and fix it later. I use manual because I can under/over expose to my hearts desire, and PP it later. I would rather lose a little DOF than get a blurry image, just my .02...

That makes sense to me if you shoot RAW. You could under expose to get the shutter speed where it needs to be, and then fix it in PP. I just feel like if the light is there and your getting the shutter speeds you need anyway (which I find is most of the time), then AV will allow you to get properly exposed images when the lighting changes slightly.

So the main reason to shoot manual would be to avoid your meter messing up the exposure? If your shooting in non-tricky conditions (basketball court) would it then be non-advantageous to use manual because the meter has a pretty easy job of figuring out exposure?

Crashoran
Goldmember
1,734 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 18, 2006 22:07 |  #9

If I was going to shoot sports in a mode other than Manual, I would definately choose TV priority. But I always shoot manual in basketball because I already know my limits in our gym. But when I go to a different setting (gym, field) things would change.

Bass ­ Ackwards
117 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 18, 2006 22:07 |  #10

True, but in manual, you can shoot lower ISO, hence lower noise, and fix the exposure later, giving you the shutter speed you need.

Getting out of photography for now...

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 18, 2006 22:08 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

I used to use Av when shooting basketball and found that my shutter speeds were all over the place during one game. The reason for this is that the lighting isn't consistent throughout the gym and the lighting also cycles. I was getting blurry images as a result because my shutter was dropping down too low at times. Now I use manual to set my shutter high enough to avoid blur and set aperture a couple of stops from wide open to maximize sharpness and background blur. Does that make more sense?

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Wrench
628 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 18, 2006 22:14 |  #12

Lots of good tips here, thanks!

Tony
-60D. Sigma 10-20 EX, Sigma17-50 f/2.8 EX, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX, Canon 100mm macro f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8.

kawter2
Goldmember
2,046 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 18, 2006 22:24 |  #13

Only time I shot AV is then im constantly going back and forth in dramatically diferent light.. i.e. the players are running in and out of a HUGE wall of shade the bright spot is in direct sunlight..

Once you get comfortable with manual and understand the the way light falls, you will be much more confident to set exposure and not worriy about it

Wedding Blog (external link)
Eric J. Weddings (external link)

QUASIPHOTO
719 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 18, 2006 22:24 as a reply to  @ Wrench's post |  #14

One good reason for me.......like Mark and Liza have stated, in a gym the lighting can be all over the place. Since I started to shoot in M, my shots have been more consistent. i.e. when I first started to shoot indoors, I shot in Av mode wide open, what would happen was that the camera would meter off of what ever it choose. So say I was shooting in the directiion of a bright back light........say a light on the wall or a door open to the outside. The camera would meter off of that and my subject would be horribly underexpoused. So now shooting in M, I tell the camera what I want and I'll get good subject exposure and blown out backlighting, which I can live with.

Canon 20D w/Grip, 70-200 f2.8L IS USM, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 17-85 USM, 85 f1.8 USM, 1.4 TC, 580EX, manfrotto monopod, Omnibounce
www.flickr.com/photos/​quasiphoto (external link)

chrishunt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 18, 2006 22:26 as a reply to  @ liza's post |  #15

liza wrote:
I used to use Av when shooting basketball and found that my shutter speeds were all over the place during one game. The reason for this is that the lighting isn't consistent throughout the gym and the lighting also cycles. I was getting blurry images as a result because my shutter was dropping down too low at times. Now I use manual to set my shutter high enough to avoid blur and set aperture a couple of stops from wide open to maximize sharpness and background blur. Does that make more sense?

Thanks for posting Liza.

This does make sense to me. I notice that my shutter speeds are all over the place as well. In a gym, I suppose lighting conditions are not severely different from one place to the next, so even though each picture may have a slightly different exposure, it may not make a difference. I think I remember you shooting in RAW, and that would help as well with those couple of shots that the exposure may be off. Do you have a certain process that you go throgh to set your exposure for a game? Do you meter off the floor, or maybe the players during warmups?

How about you people that shoot outdoor sports. Would you recommend manual settings when shooting outdoors? When I'm outside, the light changes by the minute and I can't see how manual would work in those conditions without chimping every couple minutes or so.

sponsored links

55,733 views & 1 like for this thread
Why do you guys use manual? AV makes more sense.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.