Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 May 2013 (Wednesday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Is the X-Pro 1 for me?"
Yes! Get one and you'll love it!
68.2%
Perhaps. But keep your 5D3 and Holy Trinity. Travel with one or both.
9.1%
Nope. Get the Leica M9 and you' ll have everything PLUS the FF sensor.
13.6%
Other. Please elaborate.
9.1%

22 voters, 22 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I get a Fuji X-Pro1?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,335 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 25, 2013 17:23 |  #46

elrey2375 wrote in post #15966940 (external link)
But saying that Leica is the ONLY way to go is like saying you can ONLY drive Mercedes. Leica isn't the only choice, it's simply the one YOU chose. You still didn't point me to a website... ;)

I never said it was the only way to go or again not a great camera. In fact the only thing I said was the XPro! is not in the same league. Its not. I've shot with both. I just told the OP if it were me, I would save the money for Leica because thats what I did.

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
36,335 posts
Joined May 2007

May 25, 2013 17:24 |  #47

elrey2375 wrote in post #15966940 (external link)
But saying that Leica is the ONLY way to go is like saying you can ONLY drive Mercedes. Leica isn't the only choice, it's simply the one YOU chose. You still didn't point me to a website... ;)

A website for what?

Ok I just saw it. Heres sump'm to get your head around I don't need one. Its not how I would get business. In fact I really don't know if I could take on another client at the moment. I have over 2 dozen stead corporate clients now.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 25, 2013 17:33 |  #48

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15966966 (external link)
I never said it was the only way to go or again not a great camera. In fact the only thing I said was the XPro! is not in the same league. Its not. I've shot with both. I just told the OP if it were me, I would save the money for Leica because thats what I did.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15966969 (external link)
A website for what?

Ok I just saw it. Heres sump'm to get your head around I don't need one. Its not how I would get business. In fact I really don't know if I could take on another client at the moment. I have over 2 dozen stead corporate clients now.

I don't think it's responsible when someone comes in wanting a top of the line honda and he's pointed to a top of the line BMW, because that's what you drive.

I get it, you're bigtime baby. Are you telling me the that you have no online presence or any work that someone could look at? All kinds of commercial artists and photographers with global clients have websites...

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 25, 2013 17:47 |  #49

Alex_Venom wrote in post #15957282 (external link)
I´ve been looking at rangefinders for a while. I quite like the concept, simplicity and specially size.
I travel a lot and bringing my beloved 5D3 and Holy Trinity with me can be cumbersome sometimes. Went to Torres del Paine and man... carrying that 70-200 almost killed me!

When entering the FF club, I considered moving to Leica, but the M240 wasn´t out yet and their offerings at the time (M9 and MM) didn´t cut the cheese for me. I actually don´t like the M technologically wise, but I do love their lenses and overall size.

Now I have a chance to grab the X-Pro 1, but there are a few things keeping me from it. I finally managed it to this:

Pros (for me):
- Good size
- Amazing IQ
- Good lenses at good price

Cons:
- Crop sensor (and I LOVE full frame)
- Sluggish AF
- Even worse MF
- A bit on the expensive side (body)

So, what do you guys think? Is this the perfect traveling companion for me?
Please vote and let me know your experience with it. :)

Based on the fact that you'll be using it as a travel camera, I think the Fuji is a great choice. You've spelled out the three most important facts in your 'pros' column. Compact, great image quality and good glass. You could get an X100s, X-e1 and an X-pro with lenses for the last two, and still be under what an M240 would cost you. Think about that fact. Is it worth it? Fuji is onto something with there new cameras and understandably it's making some people nervous. I spent a month with the X100s and X-e1 and I have an x100s ordered and on the way. The x-e1 is soon to follow.

airfrogusmc
36,335 posts
Joined May 2007

May 25, 2013 23:42 |  #50

elrey2375 wrote in post #15966992 (external link)
I don't think it's responsible when someone comes in wanting a top of the line honda and he's pointed to a top of the line BMW, because that's what you drive.

I get it, you're bigtime baby. Are you telling me the that you have no online presence or any work that someone could look at? All kinds of commercial artists and photographers with global clients have websites...

Here ya go, I don't need it...I'm successful without any of that. My clients find me. One of former my college professors is one of the top furniture photographers in the US and doesn't have any web presence. Like me he doesn't need it.

A couple of billboards I had up last year and an L stop ad.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/ads/IMG_3766.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/ads/IMG_3770.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/ads/IMG_9634.jpg

And one of the annual reports I shot and a very recent magazine.
http://resu.edu …-annual-report/index.html (external link)

http://resu.edu …agazines/04-13/index.html (external link)

I would much rather have real clients than have a web presence.

And again if the OP wants it get it but again my advise is save the dough and get Leica M.

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 26, 2013 00:16 |  #51

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15967854 (external link)
Here ya go, I don't need it...I'm successful without any of that. My clients find me. One of former my college professors is one of the top furniture photographers in the US and doesn't have any web presence. Like me he doesn't need it.

A couple of billboards I had up last year and an L stop ad.
QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

And one of the annual reports I shot and a very recent magazine.
http://resu.edu …-annual-report/index.html (external link)

http://resu.edu …agazines/04-13/index.html (external link)

I would much rather have real clients than have a web presence.

And again if the OP wants it get it but again my advise is save the dough and get Leica M.

The two aren't mutually exclusive... but it's awesome that it worked out like that for you. But to be fair, you've been in this business a long time, there wasn't even a web to have a presence on when you started :lol: but for someone starting out now, not having a web presence is insane and something that you really don't have an option of doing or not doing.

airfrogusmc
36,335 posts
Joined May 2007

May 26, 2013 00:22 |  #52

elrey2375 wrote in post #15967919 (external link)
The two aren't mutually exclusive... but it's awesome that it worked out like that for you. But to be fair, you've been in this business a long time, there wasn't even a web to have a presence on when you started :lol: but for someone starting out now, not having a web presence is insane and something that you really don't have an option of doing or not doing.

If I were to start again today I would plan on taking a hit for a couple years and do it exactly the way I have done it. Success in this business is about repeat clients and building stron client relationships. My clients and the clients I want do not hire from website. They hire from trusted sources either directly or by a trusted recommendation. They have way to much to loose to hire an untrusted/untested source.

A recent promo piece. I email and then send a hard copy of these type things directly to all of my clients on a regular basis. I also take them to lunch or dinner and to a lot of face to face type contact things.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Promo_zps5c8cfcf1.jpg

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 26, 2013 09:34 |  #53

elrey2375 wrote in post #15966851 (external link)
Be informed before you just start throwing statements around. He has most certainly used a Leica, extensively. I'm also talking about the X100s, you admit you don't have or use one. The x100 is inferior in every way to the x100s. I'm interested in the many ways it's worse though, other than not having the red dot and leaving me with a lot more money in my wallet ;)

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.gr …h-new-fujifilm-x100s.html (external link)

Wow. Just wow.

I love the X100, and I'm sure the X100s is a better camera. No dispute there.

But NONE of these cameras operate like a Leica does, if only for the simple reason that their lenses don't have DoF scales on them, making hyperfocal and zone focusing much more difficult.

They also don't have the build quality of a Leica, and don't offer coincident rangefinder focusing.

The X100s lens (as good as it is), isn't on par with the 35 'Cron ASPH.

Again, I love Fuji cameras. They're the only digital cameras I own. But they aren't Leicas, no matter what David Hobby says.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 26, 2013 09:35 |  #54

Alex_Venom wrote in post #15966891 (external link)
Guys, guys! Please lets not turn this thread into a Leica vs. Fuji war.
We know they are different and one has strong/weak points over the other.
I guess I am keeping the 5D3 for full frame, but after seeing what improved on the X100S, I am probably waiting to see what is coming out in the new firmware for the XP1. That split screen thing would solve 99% of my problems!

But David Hobby, god of photography, SAID they were the same.

Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 26, 2013 09:36 |  #55

elrey2375 wrote in post #15966907 (external link)
Value isn't there IMO. Leica isn't 6x better. Just like whether I'd rather have one 1dx or two 5DMK3's, I'll take the 5D twice please.

The Leica most certainly is worth it. Sorry you don't get that.

Enjoy your Canons.

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 26, 2013 14:01 |  #56

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15967930 (external link)
If I were to start again today I would plan on taking a hit for a couple years and do it exactly the way I have done it. Success in this business is about repeat clients and building stron client relationships. My clients and the clients I want do not hire from website. They hire from trusted sources either directly or by a trusted recommendation. They have way to much to loose to hire an untrusted/untested source.

A recent promo piece. I email and then send a hard copy of these type things directly to all of my clients on a regular basis. I also take them to lunch or dinner and to a lot of face to face type contact things.
QUOTED IMAGE

Great. I hope you have someone else write your copy though...;)

edge100 wrote in post #15968624 (external link)
Wow. Just wow.

I love the X100, and I'm sure the X100s is a better camera. No dispute there.

But NONE of these cameras operate like a Leica does, if only for the simple reason that their lenses don't have DoF scales on them, making hyperfocal and zone focusing much more difficult.

They also don't have the build quality of a Leica, and don't offer coincident rangefinder focusing.

The X100s lens (as good as it is), isn't on par with the 35 'Cron ASPH.

Again, I love Fuji cameras. They're the only digital cameras I own. But they aren't Leicas, no matter what David Hobby says.

He was referencing, I believe, Leica's efforts at a digital camera, not film. He said the x100s was more Leica than any digital camera Leica have tried their hand at. Again, digital, not film. I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking entirely about the Fuji operating like a Leica. He was referencing the feel, the romanticism of making photography with a Leica. It's not a technical comparison

edge100 wrote in post #15968626 (external link)
But David Hobby, god of photography, SAID they were the same.

Never said he was god of photography, but he's well-respected. I would jump to hyperbole as well though, faced with the same argument.

edge100 wrote in post #15968629 (external link)
The Leica most certainly is worth it. Sorry you don't get that.

Enjoy your Canons.

It's worth it to you. I understand the romanticism that revolves around Leica. The sway that the red dot has over so many. I get it, really I do. I just refuse to buy in, that's all. I understand that your 'enjoy your canons' line was meant to be a dig, like 'enjoy your Ford Fiesta you unwashed idiot', but it's the attitude that really turns me off. I've met numerous Leica shooters and they all display the same attitude that you and your friend have shown here. It's a superiority thing that just rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I guess us peons will just have to make do with our Canons...

PS - Allen, you do great portrait work, no denying that... and Edge, you have some nice street stuff as well.

airfrogusmc
36,335 posts
Joined May 2007

May 26, 2013 14:37 |  #57

elrey2375 wrote in post #15969336 (external link)

PS - Allen, you do great portrait work, no denying that... and Edge, you have some nice street stuff as well.

What, its my name and my phone #. Thats the copy. ;) Writing on POTN and writing a client are two very different things.

And Leica is way more than romanticism.

Oh I almost forgot Hobby is a strobist. Of course he's not going to like Leica. I'm a recovering strobist and believe theres also a magic in learning to see light. Heres a couple of Leica users and what they had to say about it. A couple of my favorite photographers BTW.
"Today's photographers think differently. Many can't see real light anymore. They think only in terms of strobe - sure, it all looks beautiful but it's not really seeing. If you have the eyes to see it, the nuances of light are already there on the subject's face. If your thinking is confined to strobe light sources, your palette becomes very mean - which is the reason I photograph only in available light." - Alfred Eisenstaedt

"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any."-Henri Cartier-Bresson

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 26, 2013 15:01 |  #58

elrey2375 wrote in post #15969336 (external link)

He was referencing, I believe, Leica's efforts at a digital camera, not film. He said the x100s was more Leica than any digital camera Leica have tried their hand at. Again, digital, not film. I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking entirely about the Fuji operating like a Leica. He was referencing the feel, the romanticism of making photography with a Leica. It's not a technical comparison

Never said he was god of photography, but he's well-respected. I would jump to hyperbole as well though, faced with the same argument.

It's worth it to you. I understand the romanticism that revolves around Leica. The sway that the red dot has over so many. I get it, really I do. I just refuse to buy in, that's all. I understand that your 'enjoy your canons' line was meant to be a dig, like 'enjoy your Ford Fiesta you unwashed idiot', but it's the attitude that really turns me off. I've met numerous Leica shooters and they all display the same attitude that you and your friend have shown here. It's a superiority thing that just rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I guess us peons will just have to make do with our Canons...

No attitude intended, I assure you. The 1DX or 5D3 are AWESOME cameras. But they're not Leicas. By the same token, Leicas aren't Canons.

I've used a lot of cameras. I never bonded with a camera in the same way as I have with my M6. It's a perfect photographic instrument. It cannot be explained until you experience it. I ALMOST said that about the X-Pro1, but it's not quite there. It's brilliant, and produces incredible images, but it's not quite as nice to shoot with as the Leica. Same for the X100. That said, I prefer either camera to my old 5D2, as good as that camera is/was.

Thanks for the kind words about my street work.

airfrogusmc
36,335 posts
Joined May 2007

May 26, 2013 16:00 |  #59

edge100 wrote in post #15969489 (external link)
No attitude intended, I assure you. The 1DX or 5D3 are AWESOME cameras. But they're not Leicas. By the same token, Leicas aren't Canons.

I've used a lot of cameras. I never bonded with a camera in the same way as I have with my M6. It's a perfect photographic instrument. It cannot be explained until you experience it. I ALMOST said that about the X-Pro1, but it's not quite there. It's brilliant, and produces incredible images, but it's not quite as nice to shoot with as the Leica. Same for the X100. That said, I prefer either camera to my old 5D2, as good as that camera is/was.

Thanks for the kind words about my street work.

For me Leica just gets out of the way. I can't think of a better way to describe it. And all of these cameras that are mentioned are good cameras and are just tools but having shot with a lot of different cameras and owning a lot of different cameras over the years 135, medium and large format for me and where I'm at right now there is not a better tool.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 26, 2013 16:59 |  #60

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15969665 (external link)
For me Leica just gets out of the way. I can't think of a better way to describe it. And all of these cameras that are mentioned are good cameras and are just tools but having shot with a lot of different cameras and owning a lot of different cameras over the years 135, medium and large format for me and where I'm at right now there is not a better tool for me.

100% agree with this.

sponsored links

6,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I get a Fuji X-Pro1?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.