Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 May 2013 (Wednesday) 16:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any good reasons to use a ballhead on a monopod?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,530 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 31, 2013 12:45 |  #46

When I'm shooting sports while I'm standing I don't fiddle with it through the whole event. I just set it straight up and leave it alone. My clamping system is RSS and I prefer to take advantage of it rather than removing the ball head and screwing in the pod. I spent a lot of money on RSS products and by golly I'm going to use them :)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
afoton
348 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 31, 2013 14:06 |  #47

Bianchi wrote in post #15985724 (external link)
Clarification:
<...>

To each there own. Thers no wright or wrong, just preferences..

Thanks for the clarification. And the last sentence is important and very truth.

Actually the only pro I have ever seen using a monopod, and who introduced me for monopod 24 years ago, was using a ball head on his monopod. He is also the only one I have ever seen using a monopod with ball head ;)

The thing he learned me, was to tilt the monopod a little against myself, for improving stability, and not just resting the weight of the camera and lens on a right standing monopod. To do this, one have to use a head on the monopod, a tilt head will do the same job. If I need to work with fast reframing, as for wildlife or birds, I don't adjust the ball head for every framing. I just adjust it for the situation, and move the monopod for each framing. So I work with the same speed as those without a head on the monopod, I just have the monopod in an other angle to the camera/lens and to the ground.

An other posibility with a monopod with a head on, is to raise the monopod with the camera (with self timer or a remote) up in the air, for getting some overview. That is how I managed to shoot straight down a 200 meter high cliff, 1.6 feet off the cliff. My mother have never seen that picture ;)

I can understand that a photographer that is standing by a stadium for who know how long time, with a heavy lens is using the monopod mainly for resting its weight and have the equipment ready all time. And that he therefor can use it without any head. That is not how I use my monopod.

Tanglefoot47
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 31, 2013 14:30 |  #48

digital paradise wrote in post #15986291 (external link)
When I'm shooting sports while I'm standing I don't fiddle with it through the whole event. I just set it straight up and leave it alone. My clamping system is RSS and I prefer to take advantage of it rather than removing the ball head and screwing in the pod. I spent a lot of money on RSS products and by golly I'm going to use them :)

That's another option I have been thinking about, when my new tripod shows up I will need another ballhead or use the one I have now and try the RRS clamp on the monopod

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,530 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 31, 2013 17:17 |  #49

It is so fast and easy. I have two monos and two tripods. Heavy duty for local and lighter carbon for travel. All my bigger lenses have RRS plates on them. I even incorporated an idea for BR system from POTN I think.

FYI. This shows a one inch Kirk plate but recently I upgraded to a 2 inch since getting a 70-200 2.8 V2. Heavy lens and although I trust the system the wider clamp just gave me a bit more confidence.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/4S​7A9103.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/4S​7A9106.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 31, 2013 18:17 |  #50

My RRS monopod and tilt head shows up Monday. I'll be glad to put it through its paces to see if it is what I want. I'm pretty sure it is.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jun 01, 2013 14:18 |  #51

I just have an arca clamp on the pod with no head at all. Works best for me.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 12, 2013 19:27 |  #52

I shot a few macro photographs using my new monopod/tilt head today. The extra stability is wonderful for an older guy like me. The RRS MH02-Pro is amazing.... smooth operation, easy to use. I couldn't be more pleased. And as has been noted, it can be swiveled 90 degrees by loosening a knob. Tighten it up and you're good to go.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 12, 2013 19:36 as a reply to  @ post 15958790 |  #53

I use my Markins Q20 on my monopod all the time. I like it and only have to carry one head for both my monopod and tripod.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 13, 2013 16:09 |  #54

I've used the ballhead when converting my travel tripod to monopod, it works fine when locked down. It's not hard to adjust but my tilthead is much easier.

I also use a Sirui L-10 on my dedicated monopod. I also prefer the tilthead because I can also shoot with it loose enough that I can quickly tilt up/down if the particular case it's desirable but it's still easy to handle(ballhead might flop to the side).

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 15, 2013 23:34 |  #55

My monopod has a built in tilting head. No locking only friction. Gitzo 1558, they don't make them any more. I only use it with my 500. Works great.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

sponsored links

8,475 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any good reasons to use a ballhead on a monopod?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.