Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 May 2013 (Thursday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stick with older version of PS

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 24, 2013 06:34 |  #16

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15960593 (external link)
How much longer will DNG converter be free and available without subscription?

Until the day after Adobe start the Zombie Apocalypse (hey, I weren't the one who started the stupid speculation comtest).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links
D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 24, 2013 08:09 |  #17

While Adobe may be on my crap list at the moment, I've always applauded their offering the DNG converter (free) to those with older versions of ACR and have seen nothing to suggest this policy won't continue. Also, if you have CS6 you will still be able to update to ACR8.x for new camera support, but not any new features added. Like anything else in life, no guarantee for how long.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2013 11:23 |  #18

phantelope wrote in post #15960499 (external link)
use the software from your camera or use Lightroom, which for now will remain being a box product sold by itself with perpetual license. And sure to be upgraded to what ever new cameras there will be.

I guess I could use the Canon software but it seems like all the stuff I use bridge and ACR for, exposure increase/decrease as you paint the image before converting can't be done in Canon software..i do all that before converting to jpeg.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2013 11:26 |  #19

D Thompson wrote in post #15960913 (external link)
You need to convert the RAW files to DNG and then the DNG's can be opened in ACR.

PC - http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=5569 (external link)
Mac - http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=5568 (external link)

Make sure to read - http://www.adobe.com …_7.4_Converter_​ReadMe.pdf (external link)

I would still keep the original CR2 files. There may come a time that Adobe no longer updates the converter or offers it for free and you have to come up with another method. Hope this helps.

Yes it does, much so and thank you much. If I can't afford PS anymore and even to pay for the subscription, I'll just shoot jpeg I reckon.
I did read that CS7 will be available in box form for those with no internet connection.

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 25, 2013 11:29 |  #20

Shooting wrote in post #15960303 (external link)
If I choose to stick with CS5 and purchase a new camera whose CS5's RAW doesn't support, is there a way to force CS5 raw to accept the new camera profile so I can keep using CS5?

I have just bought 5D mk3 and CS5.5 took the latest ACR.
Lightroom 3.6 did not.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2013 11:33 |  #21

john5189 wrote in post #15966099 (external link)
Lightroom 3.6 did not.

Good..gives me some hope that in the future it will probably be 5D mk10 before I have the money.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 25, 2013 15:43 |  #22

john5189 wrote in post #15966099 (external link)
Lightroom 3.6 did not.

Curious as to what version ACR you're running under CS5.5. ACR6.7 should be the latest for CS5.5. CS6 takes ACR7.x although Adobe has said that ACR8.x will be compatible with CS6 for camera updates, not any new features.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 26, 2013 06:14 |  #23

D Thompson wrote in post #15966643 (external link)
Curious as to what version ACR you're running under CS5.5. ACR6.7 should be the latest for CS5.5. CS6 takes ACR7.x although Adobe has said that ACR8.x will be compatible with CS6 for camera updates, not any new features.

Yep acr 6.7- but that handles the 5d3 so that's fine.

snowyowl13
Goldmember
2,798 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

May 26, 2013 07:29 |  #24

I just checked out the price of an upgrade to CS6 (Amazon.ca) and it is over $700. I thought that it might be good thing to do before it disappears into the CC but at that price I will be staying with my CS5.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 26, 2013 07:55 |  #25

snowyowl13 wrote in post #15968402 (external link)
I just checked out the price of an upgrade to CS6 (Amazon.ca) and it is over $700. I thought that it might be good thing to do before it disappears into the CC but at that price I will be staying with my CS5.

You should be able to get it direct from Adobe for US$199. http://www.adobe.com …re_sl_creatives​uite6.html (external link) Go down to Photoshop CS6 and click on Buy, then choose Upgrade.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,157 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 26, 2013 09:57 |  #26

Todd Lambert wrote in post #15961438 (external link)
Yeah, I hear ya. I just don't want to put my eggs in that basket. Canon will be around longer than Adobe will (in my opinion) so for now, I am keeping everything in their own native format. If the day ever comes that I feel differently, then I will convert things then. I just don't want to do that now... and then hope nothing happens with the format or hope that somebody else picks it up, etc...

Similar sentiments have probably been stated for manufacturers like Minolta and Kodak, who had been around for decades in photography, who both offered digital cameras, and who both are either out of existence (Minolta) or who (Kodak) are struggling to survive in photography.

In computers, Digital Equipment Corp. was a giant, and they are out of existence now. Nothing in the corporate world is forever.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 26, 2013 10:17 |  #27

You do get what you pay for.
I have tried lots of graphics programs and PS is the easiest, most user friendly.
Obviously you can feel like you're getting ripped off, but there are time-consuming ways to save a few bucks.

If you're time rich then freeware is fine, but if you're wanting to save time so you can get onto another job then paid for software does save time and pay for itself.

The first day I used LR it paid for itself. What usually took 3 or 4 days with DPP I did in one day with LR.

But the topic is not the initial investment of software, it is the bleeding of customers for money for new stuff.
Well if you want something for free dont expect much for your (no)money.
You've just paid out for a new camera($,000s), new memory cards, and other goodies. Paying for a better/up-to-date RAW convertor is just part of the budget.
I don't like it either but it's the way it is.
and
Remember, digital photography is SO much cheaper than what film was/is. I used to pay about $3000 /year for film and processing. I haven't paid $1500 for software yet.

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 26, 2013 10:24 |  #28

john5189 wrote in post #15968724 (external link)
You've just paid out for a new camera($,000s), new memory cards, and other goodies. Paying for a better/up-to-date RAW convertor is just part of the budget.
I don't like it either but it's the way it is.
and
Remember, digital photography is SO much cheaper than what film was/is. I used to pay about $3000 /year for film and processing. I haven't paid $1500 for software yet.

It is not about the money. It is about the fact that you lose access to the software as soon as you stop paying. Since you will no longer be able to access your PSD files you basically will lose years of work.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 26, 2013 12:03 |  #29

dalto wrote in post #15968746 (external link)
It is not about the money. It is about the fact that you lose access to the software as soon as you stop paying. Since you will no longer be able to access your PSD files you basically will lose years of work.

Which assumes that nothing else will be able to read PSD files and that the user was too stupid to realise this and convert them to something at a different application can read.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 26, 2013 13:45 |  #30

hollis_f wrote in post #15968996 (external link)
Which assumes that nothing else will be able to read PSD files and that the user was too stupid to realise this and convert them to something at a different application can read.

Given the non-destructive nature of photoshop, the only way something could ever read and correctly process the a PSD file would be to support every non-destructive feature that photoshop supports. The same is true of saving in another format. The only way to do that would be to sacrifice the non-destructive changes.

As evidence of this there is no program that can open and correctly render a current PSD from photoshop except photoshop itself. Please note I am not saying that there are not some PSD files that can be opened. But using certain Photoshop features will prevent them from being properly rendered.

Now, I will be the first to admit that some people only care about the original images and the final work product. To those folks this will not be a big deal. But for those of us who like to continue to work on our older images as time passes this is a big problem.

sponsored links

3,532 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stick with older version of PS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.