Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 May 2013 (Saturday) 13:23
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Will or won't you subscribe to Photoshop in the future"
Yes, I'll subscribe
10.4%
No, I won't subscribe
76.2%
I'm not sure
11.1%
I don't use Photoshop
2.3%

386 voters, 386 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will you buy Photoshop CC via subscription?

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 25, 2013 13:23 |  #1

This poll is pretty self-explanatory. Just curious what other folks are thinking about Adobe's latest move.

If you aren't aware, apparently Adobe is changing their business model with the next iteration of Photoshop. Beginning next month you will no longer be able to buy a boxed (or download) full version or upgrades of Photoshop. CS6 will be the last version sold that way.

From here on out, Photoshop "CC" will only be sold via subscription, where you make a monthly payment to use the software. The cost currently is $20 US per month for Photoshop CC alone. The full "Creative Cloud" experience (multiple apps plus storage and more) is $50 US per month. There are discount plans for current CS users... around 40% off for the first year (if signed up by July 31, 2013) It varies a little depending upon which version of CS you have... The short-lived CS6 owner will get a little more of a discount than users of CS3 through CS5.5. Photoshop versions earlier than CS3 don't qualify for any discount. See adobe.com for details. I ain't here to market their stuff for them, just giving the generalities as they relate to this poll.

There appear to be several reasons Adobe is doing this... to push through updates more quickly and seamlessly, to help reduce/prevent piracy, more mobile users, etc. Of course, there's bound to be a profit motive in there somewhere, too!

So, what do you plan to do?

Edit: Yes, there are some polls and commentary about this elsewhere on the Internet... Just wonderin' what the POTN folks are thinking.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links
Geonerd
542 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

May 25, 2013 13:52 |  #2

LOL, I only recently 'upgraded' from PS6 to the freebie CS2.
I've never come close to understanding the widely perceived 'need' to buy the latest and greatest version of the program.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 25, 2013 14:39 |  #3

Geonerd wrote in post #15966437 (external link)
LOL, I only recently 'upgraded' from PS6 to the freebie CS2.
I've never come close to understanding the widely perceived 'need' to buy the latest and greatest version of the program.

The "Content Aware" tools are alone worth it to me. YMMV. That said, I won't sub, not unless it gets a holy grail feature I couldn't exist without.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,201 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 25, 2013 15:14 |  #4

I'm staying with LR, Capture One & PS CS6.
I wouldn't mind if when you stopped subscribing you could at least still use the program in it's current form. I assume I'm right in saying that the program ceases to function at that point?

Kev

rooeey
-Shorty-
2,554 posts
Joined May 2007

May 25, 2013 15:36 |  #5

Will be interesting to see how much they charge down under as we all ready get slammed when puchasing Photo shop...Easliy double what US users pay yet we are pretty much dollar for dollar at the exchange...Fuuny the same thing cant be said for LR ..

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:
http://s229.photobucke​t.com/albums/ee124/roo​eey/ (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,895 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 25, 2013 15:37 |  #6

I voted no. That's not to say that at some future point I may subscribe. For now I'll stay with CS6.

NinetyEight wrote in post #15966584 (external link)
I assume I'm right in saying that the program ceases to function at that point?

Yep, no pay, no work.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,025 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2013 18:08 |  #7

I've voted no, but who knows, I'm happy with LR4 and CS5 at the moment, but it would be nice to go to CS6 for full compatibility with ACR7. I have issues opening some images using the "special" ACR 6.3 version. Sometimes it needs to have LR do the rendering by doing an export, rather than using the Edit In function which has ACR do the rendering instead.

If the CC version gets something really good, that you cannot get any other way, or if they go cloud only with LR maybe things will change.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

philmar
Cream of the Crop
8,041 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

May 25, 2013 21:49 |  #8

To hell with greedy Adobe - I won't subscribe.

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)
or follow me: https://www.instagram.​com/instaphilmarion/ (external link)

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 25, 2013 22:01 |  #9

If its the only way to get the motion deblur filter then ill consider it. Otherwise, cs6 is plenty for me.

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 26, 2013 00:43 |  #10

I don't know. I'm a current Photoshop user with CS6. I did not plan on upgrading to CS7. Assuming that Adobe has averaged around 18 months between releases, CS8 would have come out some time in early 2015. That's when I would have thought about upgrading from CS6.

Adobe's announcement that they are changing to subscription only doesn't change anything for me. I'll continue to use CS6 until 2015 just like I had already planned to do. No telling what their subscription service will look like by then. The initial discounted price for the first year doesn't appeal to me since that only covers the time period where I had no intention on upgrading anyway.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 26, 2013 05:09 |  #11

No.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to the price over the next 2-3 years.

In the UK it is already nearly 50% more than you pay in the USA.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 26, 2013 09:18 |  #12

Nightstalker wrote in post #15968261 (external link)
In the UK it is already nearly 50% more than you pay in the USA.

Photoshop CC annual subscription is £14.65 a month in the UK.

Photoshop CC annual subscription is $20 a month in the US. That works out as about £13.30. Which is about 10% cheaper.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 26, 2013 11:15 |  #13

I'll keep using PS CS6 until PS CC offers something worthwhile…

My thoughts on it: http://www.getcolorman​aged.com/adobe/adobe-cc/ (external link)
A longer thread about it: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1297722

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

squashed
Goldmember
4,225 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 26, 2013 11:22 |  #14

CS6 will keep me happy for a while.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 26, 2013 11:52 |  #15

hollis_f wrote in post #15968580 (external link)
Photoshop CC annual subscription is £14.65 a month in the UK.

Photoshop CC annual subscription is $20 a month in the US. That works out as about £13.30. Which is about 10% cheaper.

That makes it worse - the full CC package is $50 or £33.05 as opposed to us who are paying £46.88

So for a single app we are paying 11% more than they are in the states but for the full package we are paying 42% more than they are in the states.

Why the difference? It's just a rip off.

sponsored links

13,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will you buy Photoshop CC via subscription?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.