Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 26 May 2013 (Sunday) 09:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Which point and shoot (any brand) has the quickest autofocus?

MikeFairbanks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 30, 2013 13:29 |  #31

I'll be wearing loose-fitting shorts and trunks with generous pockets when I'm on the cruise. Occasionally I'll be wearing khaki slacks, but no jeans or pocketless trunks. The Nikon J/V series might be too thick, even with a pancake, and I like zooming.

I'm pretty much set on just picking up the S100 and buying a waterproof bag for the beach. I wasn't planning any underwater shots or anything, but it will be around water a lot.

If I can afford the Sony RX100 by the time our trip leaves (one month) I'll get it, but I seriously doubt I'm going to do that.

My Nikon D7000 is coming with me and will be used for Puerto Rico walking tours and a few land-based excursions that are short and close to the boat. But for longer trips and around the ship I'll be using the S-100 most of the time.

Another option I might do is the SX150/SX160 IS. I had the SX110 IS and have nothing but praise for it. Sure, it's a bit thicker, but they are so inexpensive, take AA batteries (and can get hundreds of shots using Sanyo Eneloops), have a great zoom and IS combination, etc. Plus they have TV mode, which is good for waterslides, and other action-based events in which you can focus ahead of time and wait for the subject to appear.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Thank you. bw!

JRET
262 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 30, 2013 13:48 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #32

Mike,

I think you will be very pleased with the S100's capabilities ... I'm still using (and pleased) with my S90 and the 100 is certainly an improvement. I bought a cheap case from Wally World or Target (Case Logic) I think ... it holds the S90 perfectly plus has a separate zip compartment that holds a couple of batteries and 3-4 mem cards. If you wear a belt it has the belt loop and this is what I use when walking a lot ... camera is protected from "most" elements until I use it and I've carried the camera into a lot of unfriendly environments when working on mission trips in the Caribbean. The only thing I failed to do was buy/apply a screen protector ... the screen is slightly scratched but it doesn't affect the performance at all, just a nuisance to look at to remind me of something I should have taken care of when I bought the S90. The quality of photos is just fine for vacation trips, etc. and with good light, I'm sometimes hard pressed to remember if I used the S90 or the 50D w/a good lens ... go figure. Anyway, good luck and enjoy your cruise ... post plenty of pix.

Canon M6ii (black) • Canon M6ii (silver) • EF-M 22 • EF-M 32 • EF-M 11-22 • EF-M 18-150 • EF 35 f/2IS • EF 40 f/2.8 • EF 85 f/1.8 • EF 100 f/2.8L macro • EF 16-35 f/4L IS • EF 70-200 f/4L IS

JRET
262 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 30, 2013 13:50 as a reply to  @ JRET's post |  #33

Almost forgot ... don't miss the old fort in San Juan. You'll want a good camera for there. Also, if you get to Ponce, check out the city park and the fire station nearby ... I haven't been there in years but I'm fairly certain those "attractions" still exist.

Canon M6ii (black) • Canon M6ii (silver) • EF-M 22 • EF-M 32 • EF-M 11-22 • EF-M 18-150 • EF 35 f/2IS • EF 40 f/2.8 • EF 85 f/1.8 • EF 100 f/2.8L macro • EF 16-35 f/4L IS • EF 70-200 f/4L IS

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

13,902 views & 0 likes for this thread, 15 members have posted to it.
Which point and shoot (any brand) has the quickest autofocus?
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.