Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 May 2013 (Sunday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Toss the Tokina 11-16 for a Canon 15mm 2.8?

ninobrn99
731 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 26, 2013 22:20 |  #1

What do y'all think about me getting rid of my Tokina 11-16 and getting the Canon 15mm 2.8 I found locally? I hate that I can't use the Tokina on the 1D mkII. I like that I would be able to use the 15mm on both my bodies. I'm not too worried about losing the fisheye effect. I would love the UWA. Thoughts?

Nino

5D MK3 | iPhone 6s Plus
Flickr (external link)
YouTube Channel (external link)

sponsored links
ph2003
96 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 27, 2013 00:15 |  #2

why u cannot use the 11-16 on 1d mkII?
i used mine on 1dc all the time, or u hate the vignette? (fixing the vignette in post works for me :) )

i also use 1.4x TC + 11-16 combo too. im happy with it :)

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 27, 2013 10:35 |  #3

The Tokina works great on the 1D series from 13 to 16mm. Try it first before you dump it.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

ninobrn99
THREAD ­ STARTER
731 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 27, 2013 11:24 |  #4

Did y'all have to remove the plastic piece to get it to work? I tried fitting it on the 1D and it wouldn't go on.

Nino

5D MK3 | iPhone 6s Plus
Flickr (external link)

ph2003
96 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 27, 2013 11:41 |  #5

It wont go in?
Well mine just mount like normal lens, nothing special.

Maybe show some pic to show why u cannot mount urs?

ninobrn99
THREAD ­ STARTER
731 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 27, 2013 13:40 |  #6

ph2003 wrote in post #15972165 (external link)
It wont go in?
Well mine just mount like normal lens, nothing special.

Maybe show some pic to show why u cannot mount urs?

Nevermind. I think it was my 18-135. The Tokina fits fine. I went ahead and grabbed the 15mm anyways :)

Nino

5D MK3 | iPhone 6s Plus
Flickr (external link)

ninobrn99
THREAD ­ STARTER
731 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 27, 2013 14:30 |  #7

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i11.photobucket​.com …ishy_rb67_zpsfc​56f1cb.jpg (external link)

5D MK3 | iPhone 6s Plus
Flickr (external link)

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 27, 2013 15:13 |  #8

I use the Tokina even on my 5DII on 15-15mm. But would love to have a 14 or 15mm prime for it, and would not care if this prime would be manual :)

7D, 5DII

ninobrn99
THREAD ­ STARTER
731 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 27, 2013 15:30 |  #9

Rafromak wrote in post #15972824 (external link)
I use the Tokina even on my 5DII on 15-15mm. But would love to have a 14 or 15mm prime for it, and would not care if this prime would be manual :)

I thought of going with the Rokinon 14mm. It would've been cheaper too. I have the Ec-S and Ef-S screens, so that helps with the MF. I do enjoy having the fisheye and AF. I'd be good either way. 11-16 or just 15. The difference really isn't that much to me. I'm gonna hold on to both for a while and see which I prefer. Carrying the prime will take up less room and weigh less. At least now, I have options :)

Nino

5D MK3 | iPhone 6s Plus
Flickr (external link)

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 27, 2013 17:26 |  #10

ninobrn99 wrote in post #15972868 (external link)
I thought of going with the Rokinon 14mm. It would've been cheaper too. I have the Ec-S and Ef-S screens, so that helps with the MF. I do enjoy having the fisheye and AF. I'd be good either way. 11-16 or just 15. The difference really isn't that much to me. I'm gonna hold on to both for a while and see which I prefer. Carrying the prime will take up less room and weigh less. At least now, I have options :)

Nino

Yes, I have thought about the Vivitar/Rokinon 14mm. I can install a FotoDiox chip to make it easier to focus at night instead of relying on the focus scale on the ring (I have heard that it's not very accurate). I have been looking for an old manual 14mm or 15mm lens at the local pawn shops, but haven't see any :)

Anyway, I mostly use the Tokina closer to 11mm when mounted on the 7D. If I had a 14mm prime, it would be for my 5D II only.

7D, 5DII

ninobrn99
THREAD ­ STARTER
731 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 27, 2013 17:40 |  #11

Rafromak wrote in post #15973199 (external link)
Yes, I have thought about the Vivitar/Rokinon 14mm. I can install a FotoDiox chip to make it easier to focus at night instead of relying on the focus scale on the ring (I have heard that it's not very accurate). I have been looking for an old manual 14mm or 15mm lens at the local pawn shops, but haven't see any :)

Anyway, I mostly use the Tokina closer to 11mm when mounted on the 7D. If I had a 14mm prime, it would be for my 5D II only.

I was going to do the chip, but reading suggests that it isn't all that accurate. I got magic lantern installed and it helped, but I still couldn't get sharp images. The screens made all the difference in the world!

Nino

5D MK3 | iPhone 6s Plus
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,542 views & 0 likes for this thread
Toss the Tokina 11-16 for a Canon 15mm 2.8?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.