Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 29 May 2013 (Wednesday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Man I love Acratech

DanFrank
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2013 11:27 |  #1

^Acratech
For the 2nd time in the last 6 months I own a Acratech Gv2 Ballhead. Thought about getting something different just to try something else. Arca-Swiss, RRS, Kirks, Markins, ext, but REALLY just love the design and quality of this ballhead. Weighing just under 1lb, it goes perfect with my Sirui N1004 legs which weight only 2.6lbs. For $460 I really cant think of a better setup.

Pros:
Total weight is 3.6lbs
Folds to 21 inch or 17inch reversed
Holds 26 lbs
Very sturdy
Both Acratech and Sirui have outstanding warranties.

Cons:
Not Carbon fiber (I personally didn't see the value of spending another $250-$300 or more for CF just for vibration dampening.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i634.photobucke​t.com …/IMG_0038_zpsda​2ed2c1.jpg (external link)

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,480 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 29, 2013 11:50 |  #2

I'm becoming a bit of an Acratech fan too. I've replaced a Markins Q3T on my travel tripod with an Ultimate. Weighs less than 1lb and looks like a piece of surveying equipment but I'm about 4 months into use with it and so far no problems. What I like about it is the open design, doesn't freeze up in severe cold and if you get sand or muck in it just run it under the faucet.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

Blubayou
369 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 29, 2013 13:45 |  #3

I'm considering the GV2 or the GP-S, but I haven't decided on legs yet. This will be my first tripod, but I want to get a nice setup now, rather than starting cheap and wanting to replace it shortly thereafter.

Does the Sirui N1004 fit over the GV2 ballhead when the legs are reversed?

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 29, 2013 14:21 |  #4

i am am interested in the GP. gonna look at them when i got to NYC next week. i love my markins/RRS, but the grass is always greener :)

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,503 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

May 29, 2013 14:27 |  #5

pdrober2 wrote in post #15979837 (external link)
i am am interested in the GP. gonna look at them when i got to NYC next week. i love my markins/RRS, but the grass is always greener :)

I'd say go for it. I'm quite happy with my GP:

IMAGE: http://pcdn.500px.net/32728987/1b7e8386cbbdd50f1239f73ba5223e5ea20560cd/4.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://500px.com/photo​/32728987  (external link)
Acratech GP (external link) by Timothy Tichy (external link)

I recently got back from a trip to Disney where I shot a fair few nighttime HDR images and found myself shooting entire sequences without ever locking down the ballhead. :eek::lol::oops: Not to mention that it rained the entire week so the ballhead got a fair bit of wet weather testing. ;) :D

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,157 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 29, 2013 14:47 |  #6

So can any of you explain the virtues and nuances that define the GP vs. GPs Vs. GPss vs Ultimate?

Other than the "Ultimate" being the most affordable (and the oldest design) I can't see how one makes a choice? Looks like GP is the better choice, and the "s" version is just a variation. Hands on, any explanation for your preferences?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Blubayou
369 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 29, 2013 15:34 |  #7

I believe one would decide between GP, GPs and GPss simply based on size requirement, probably staying with the largest that will fit properly with their legs/base diameter.

Here's how I understand it:

Ultimate -> Simplest and least expensive offering. Appears to have reduced range of motion compared to the others and has no drop or "gimbal" slot (since it already angles downward).
V2 -> greater range of motion than the ultimate, but the drop slot goes past horizontal by a bit (NLA?)
GV2 -> V2 with more precise drop slot (90* / horizontal) and bearing surface to fit that slot
GP -> GV2 plus a leveling option (flip the head upside down and it can be leveled for panoramas.
GPs -> smaller version (base diameter) of GP, relocated knob
GPss -> smaller still

I think the ball is the same diameter on all of them.

Blubayou
369 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 29, 2013 15:41 |  #8

After posting I went to the site. They compare the GP models here (external link)

The GP models seem to differ only in size and in the case of the largest (GP), location of the pan knob is different. That *may* interfere with folding some tripods (those that fold back on themselves, around the head), as I read on someone's blog, somewhere, sometime ago.

I'm deciding between the GV2 and GPs, mainly because I am trying to decide if the leveling option is worth stepping up from the GV2. I've heard from some users that it may be handy, but it's not a true replacement for a leveling base.

jimfred
41 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 29, 2013 15:46 |  #9

Thanks for the strong recommendation.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,503 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

May 29, 2013 15:51 |  #10

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15979930 (external link)
So can any of you explain the virtues and nuances that define the GP vs. GPs Vs. GPss vs Ultimate?

Other than the "Ultimate" being the most affordable (and the oldest design) I can't see how one makes a choice? Looks like GP is the better choice, and the "s" version is just a variation. Hands on, any explanation for your preferences?

The Gp is the "top of the line", working as a pano head, gimbal and regular ballhead. If you look at the bottom you'll see that the GP line has degree markings in both orientations around the base. This is so the clamp can be attached to the bottom and the head inverted to be used as a pano head. There is also a bushing on the ball stem under the clamp that the stem rotates in when used as a gimbal. The ability to get it wet/dirty and then just rinse it off is quite nice as well. ;) The Gp-S and SS are slightly redesigned to be smaller (and smaller still) and accommodate travel tripods. I don't have a reversible travel tripod so the S and SS weren't even a consideration for me.

The Ultimate doesn't do the gimbal feature, and you can't reverse it for panoramics. Outside of those two features it will do everything the GP does.

Of course there is always this video that gives the visuals (I hope you're not sleepy):
http://acratech.net/pa​ges.php?pageid=9 (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,480 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 29, 2013 15:55 |  #11

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15979930 (external link)

All I needed was the simple Ultimate, actually it's an Ultimate II as they brought out a second version a while back.

I don't need a gimbal (no really long lenses), panning (I use a 617 panoramic camera), or the upside-down leveling base function. I've yet to encounter the reduced range of motion, but if/when I do I will spin the base through 180ยบ which is the workaround for that limitation.

I do need a basic light ballhead that won't lock up in serious cold, and one that doesn't have to go back to the manufacturer if the tripod gets kicked over on the beach. When I bought the ballhead online from the Acratech web site, one of the pages in the click-through had this text: "The Acratech Ultimate Ballhead is designed to be a light weight sturdy ballhead for use in extreme outdoor environments." That's what I wanted and I think that's what I got.

~Peter

Blubayou
369 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 29, 2013 16:05 |  #12

thanks for the input Peter. Without ever having one in front of me to try, I wondered how the range of motion on the ultimate would work out.

I like the simplicity of them and the all-weather/conditions design and lightweight aspect are the main draw for me.

Needsnow
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 29, 2013 19:13 |  #13

To chime in, the locking lever is simply brilliant. No need to ever worry about it accidentally opening up. I also use the gimbal feature on both my GP-s and Ultimate bullheads regularly.

Canon EOS R

peter_n
Goldmember
2,480 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 29, 2013 19:56 |  #14

Blubayou wrote in post #15980221 (external link)
I like the simplicity of them and the all-weather/conditions design and lightweight aspect are the main draw for me.

Me too!

~Peter

DanFrank
THREAD ­ STARTER
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2013 23:07 |  #15

Blubayou wrote in post #15979735 (external link)
I'm considering the GV2 or the GP-S, but I haven't decided on legs yet. This will be my first tripod, but I want to get a nice setup now, rather than starting cheap and wanting to replace it shortly thereafter.

Does the Sirui N1004 fit over the GV2 ballhead when the legs are reversed?

yes it does, but the GPs is made for the reversed legs. So I would assume the GPs would be slightly narrower where the legs meet the head. GV2 is about the same size the entire length of the legs. If that makes sense.

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

sponsored links

26,445 views & 0 likes for this thread
Man I love Acratech
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.