Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 May 2013 (Thursday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cannot take photos at my daughters recital??? please read statement by dance studio

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,084 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 30, 2013 19:06 |  #1

Ok, so my daughter has her first dance recital coming up. My wife told me they were not allowing any videoing because they are doing professional video. So I was OK with this and paid the $25 for the video. Now I have equipment to take photos that are of "pro" status and I know how to use it. My wife told me today AFTER the dress rehearsal that I wasn't allowed to take photos either. I could understand this if they had a hired photographer also but they don't, just a video guy. I wasn't planning on using flash as I don't feel I need it. I think their statement should be "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY".

I'm thinking of approaching the lady because I didn't get any photos tonight at the rehearsal due to my rushing over there after work and my original anticipation of taking photos during the recital.
EDIT: It was not a rehearsal, was just a 4 minute practice at the dance studio because they don't let the first year young ones on stage until the day of.

So should I take photos anyway or ask the lady for permission or what? I cannot believe I cannot take photos of her during the actual recital especially them not having a photographer.

Also what doesn't make sense is they hired a pro photographer for tonight's dress rehearsal to take photos, which I bought, but they said you are allowed to take photos then?... this is so damn backwards

Here is the disclaimer.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

May 30, 2013 19:20 |  #2

Their room, their rules. Sit back and enjoy the show.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 30, 2013 19:21 |  #3

...offer to be the professional photographer. Or comply with their request not to take photos. They have stated why they don't want photographers there and the reasons look entirely reasonable. You had the opportunity to get photos at the dress rehearsal. Its not their fault you were rushing and decided not to take any photos.

They want to be fair to all. If you can think of a reason why they should be unfair just for you I'm sure they will reconsider. But you really should just go and enjoy the show.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,084 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 30, 2013 19:38 |  #4

banquetbear wrote in post #15984168 (external link)
...offer to be the professional photographer. Or comply with their request not to take photos. They have stated why they don't want photographers there and the reasons look entirely reasonable. You had the opportunity to get photos at the dress rehearsal. Its not their fault you were rushing and decided not to take any photos.

They want to be fair to all. If you can think of a reason why they should be unfair just for you I'm sure they will reconsider. But you really should just go and enjoy the show.

I'm actually going to approach the owners with this. They been lacking funds on some upgrades to their studio so I will offer my services, sell the prints at $15/ea and give 100% of the sales back to the studio so they can do their upgrades. My reward is, experience, portfolio and my gosh darn photo of my kid lol.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,269 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 30, 2013 19:41 |  #5

They are within their rights to prohibit photography. Hard though it is for us togs to understand, having a load of people snapping away, holding up video cameras or, worst of all, holding their iPads up in the air blocking the view of those behind them, actually isn't conducive to most people's enjoyments of an artistic performance.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Acetoolguy
396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

May 30, 2013 19:45 |  #6

Nothing unusal, I have been to a dozen of them and every one had the same rules, no video, no photography. Parent volunteers walked around asking the cell phone camera users, who thought they had an exception to the rule, to put it away or leave.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 30, 2013 19:46 |  #7

banquetbear wrote in post #15984168 (external link)

I just went through this on Tuesday. My daughter has her recital on June 16 (Father's Day) and no photos or videos are allowed during the performance. There is a professional videographer who will record the entire performance from two vantage points and then edit the video. The DVDs are $50 (hey, it's Canada so we're used to inflated prices). I asked the director of the dance academy if photos were allowed during the dress rehearsal on Thursday, June 13 and she shrugged her shoulders like she was about to say no. I immediately interrupted her and offered to be the official photographer and give the dance school up to 10 photos for free or for publication on their website, Facebook, etc. if I would be allowed to take the photos. She agreed. Hehe. :D This is awesome because I'll take photos at the rehearsal and I'll also be able to enjoy the performances on the actual day.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,708 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 30, 2013 20:14 |  #8

It's par for the course. These dance competitions are serious money making ventures, and the rules are quite strict, and apparently in some cases they are enforced quite draconian.

I have come across this in three ways, 1st as the Tech Director of a desirable venue where these outfits would rent the place, so I got quite familiar with the rules, and got to know and well, not quite respect, but understand and work with the exclusive photographers.

-Then as a father who already knew the drill and thus was "happy" to just pay the exclusive photog,

-Lastly, as the father that some twit on the staff accused of taking photos with my cell phone ( ironic, I know, Nila's grandparents, who were looking for the venue called, and I was simply giving directions and then turning the phone off so it wouldn't ring again!) The twit asked to see the phone, I showed her the powered off phone. She said "You turned it off!" and I said, "yes?" She called their security over, and I was removed from the venue because I refused to hand over my phone!

I wouldn't move until I watched my Kid dance, and then "left" and they lost the sale of their damn photos.

Seriously, the only option is to buy the damn thing, just like your only option is to pay for the damn over priced costume and the damn over priced everything involved with the "Award Mill"

If i had my druthers, Nila would not be involved, but she is and until she decides she doesn't like it, I will support her. But I can;t see paying for the photos after last months encounter.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,845 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 30, 2013 20:31 |  #9

No photography allowed is pretty much the standard at dance recitals. Sit back and enjoy the show.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,084 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 30, 2013 20:40 |  #10

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15984272 (external link)
It's par for the course. These dance competitions are serious money making ventures, and the rules are quite strict, and apparently in some cases they are enforced quite draconian.

I have come across this in three ways, 1st as the Tech Director of a desirable venue where these outfits would rent the place, so I got quite familiar with the rules, and got to know and well, not quite respect, but understand and work with the exclusive photographers.

-Then as a father who already knew the drill and thus was "happy" to just pay the exclusive photog,

-Lastly, as the father that some twit on the staff accused of taking photos with my cell phone ( ironic, I know, Nila's grandparents, who were looking for the venue called, and I was simply giving directions and then turning the phone off so it wouldn't ring again!) The twit asked to see the phone, I showed her the powered off phone. She said "You turned it off!" and I said, "yes?" She called their security over, and I was removed from the venue because I refused to hand over my phone!

I wouldn't move until I watched my Kid dance, and then "left" and they lost the sale of their damn photos.

Seriously, the only option is to buy the damn thing, just like your only option is to pay for the damn over priced costume and the damn over priced everything involved with the "Award Mill"

If i had my druthers, Nila would not be involved, but she is and until she decides she doesn't like it, I will support her. But I can;t see paying for the photos after last months encounter.

This is not a competition it's a recital. I can understand the no photography rule IF there was a pro photog there. But there isn't.

My Gear Archive

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,084 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 30, 2013 20:41 |  #11

D Thompson wrote in post #15984319 (external link)
No photography allowed is pretty much the standard at dance recitals. Sit back and enjoy the show.

My oldest had her first recital at the Grand Opera House in Galveston and was allowed to take photos. Just with no flash. This was many years ago though (7)

My Gear Archive

yvg240
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 30, 2013 20:50 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #12

I remember that as I took pics there. I really think its the phone camera issue more than anything else.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,084 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 30, 2013 20:59 |  #13

yvg240 wrote in post #15984356 (external link)
I remember that as I took pics there. I really think its the phone camera issue more than anything else.

Exactly. My friend said same thing. All these iPad cell phone and little point and shoot people ruin it for the guys that truly want to be able to take photos with no distraction at all.

My oldest had a small chior concert a few nights ago. Very casual and all the damn rebels going beep beep click flash constantly was annoying when I was in silent mode without flash and never knew I was taking photos.

My Gear Archive

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

May 30, 2013 20:59 |  #14

at least they aren't using the security excuse :)

they are upfront and honest with why, just respect it.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

blindshooter
229 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 30, 2013 21:05 as a reply to  @ yvg240's post |  #15

My daughter was a dancer for 7 years and performances were the main reason I got back into DSLRs after the film 650. The events are definitely designed to squeeze the money out of parents. I've even offered to pay for the photos if I could take my own but no dice. They are very strict. What I don't get is that pics aren't any better than mine. Rules are rules though.

sponsored links

14,648 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cannot take photos at my daughters recital??? please read statement by dance studio
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.