Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 May 2013 (Thursday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cannot take photos at my daughters recital??? please read statement by dance studio

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 31, 2013 13:57 |  #31

yvg240 wrote in post #15984356 (external link)
I remember that as I took pics there. I really think its the phone camera issue more than anything else.

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15986462 (external link)
Putting my flame repelent on here. But if your not using a big white lens, have the back lcd turned off, no flash, have any confermation beeps turned off and stay in your seat you might be able to sneek a few shots off.

All cameras have their little annoyances. Camera phones have the LCD blinding those sitting behind. P/S have the little focus assist light and maybe a flash or two, and SLRs have that huge CERCHUNK every time you press the shutter. All can be annoying to someone just wanting to watch the show.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 31, 2013 14:03 |  #32

Pretty normal.

Enjoy it. Your camera doesn't need to be strapped to you at all times.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 31, 2013 14:14 |  #33

gjl711 wrote in post #15986499 (external link)
All cameras have their little annoyances. Camera phones have the LCD blinding those sitting behind. P/S have the little focus assist light and maybe a flash or two, and SLRs have that huge CERCHUNK every time you press the shutter. All can be annoying to someone just wanting to watch the show.

Except silent shutter mode!! ;)

Shane
flickr (external link)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 31, 2013 16:13 |  #34

gjl711 wrote in post #15986499 (external link)

Ahem... Silent shutter :)

I took photos during my daughters choir concert and during the quiet times nobody knew I was taking photos it's that quiet.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

LincsRP
427 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

May 31, 2013 16:42 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #35

Folks, you have to remember that when our little siblings are practising they don't face the onslaught of video, phones and cameras.

A stage is only so wide and so deep to perform on and when flashing and video/phone lights shine in their eyes it puts them off from performing correctly.

Having shot a vast amount of this in the last few years I have heard the performers complain of the interruption due to parents wanting photos. It's not, in the main, for the revenue stream, it really is to do with the performers being confident and able to perform their routine as in practise. We do provide a professional photo and video service for you folks which will enable all viewers to get a shot of their offspring.

As a parent who has shot MTsoc images in Imperial London and others for the stage company I do find the performers are nervous and don't need any interruptions from the audience.

Due respect for these guys from 3yrs upwards is something I'd recommend.

We know we'd love to take these photos...

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

kiapolo
869 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

May 31, 2013 17:40 |  #36

kjonnnn wrote in post #15984503 (external link)
It makes perfect sense. The recital is about the students not you. They allowed you to record the rehearsal because its just the rehearsal. During the actual retical, the students will already be under pressure and stress to perform perfectly, without the possibility of being recorded by dozens of cameras. You ever performed? Its about them, not you.

Yeah, their reasoning for not taking pics of the recital make sense.

Just go to the rehearsal and fire away. No one will know your pics aren't from the actual recital.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 31, 2013 19:06 |  #37

It will depend on the organization. People are now video recording their kids at performances with their ipads held up over their heads. Of course they are often getting video with very over exposed brights because of the lack of exposure compensation on the simple apple products. They'd be so much better off recording video with a G15 with its optical zoom!

child_photographer
35 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 01, 2013 13:42 |  #38

I agree with their rules, they trying to make money and if you have all the parents taking pictures no one will need to "hired" photographer.

Natural Light all day everyday!!
Tonya Dailey Photography
http://tonyadaileylife​style.com (external link)
http://lifestylelesson​sblog.com (external link)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 01, 2013 22:03 |  #39

child_photographer wrote in post #15989360 (external link)
I agree with their rules, they trying to make money and if you have all the parents taking pictures no one will need to "hired" photographer.

They did not have a hired photographer but I did get permission.

My daughter is second from right. This is a heavy crop. I was pretty far back. I have better shots but I'm on the run. Lots of people getting up and moving around too.

IMAGE: http://nitrousdepot.net/POTN/06012013.25833.jpg

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Hippari
48 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 01, 2013 22:26 |  #40

Shame about the heads, but you got your daughter's smiling face and that's the good stuff. :)

Also felt like sharing a funny story thats kinda relevant since I'm from Houston and shoots dance and cheer comps.

One time some kid's dad came up and sat right next to me in my shooting row at some point in the night. We made some small talk since he recognized me from a gig I did a few weeks prior in a town over and then I got back to my business. Little did I know, while I was shooting away, so was he from a spot just a bit behind me. :p

Everyone thought he was my assistant or trainee or something and didnt bring it up until the night was over. :rolleyes: I had a laugh out of it though and sincerely hope he got good pictures of his kids. :D

5D MKIII | 60D | ★ | Canon 50 f/1.2L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS | Yongnuo 50 f/1.8
www.strangerhythms.net (external link)
www.super-magic.com (external link)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 01, 2013 22:46 |  #41

I did not get up from my seat. I did not want to distract anyone from enjoying the show. I did get a few without heads after cropping. Nothing worth selling but a memory for me

My Gear Archive

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 01, 2013 23:57 |  #42

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15986462 (external link)
Putting my flame repelent on here. But if your not using a big white lens, have the back lcd turned off, no flash, have any confermation beeps turned off and stay in your seat you might be able to sneek a few shots off.

Why is it that when we put a camera in people's hands that we seem to start to think the rules are for everyone except me. Once one person start to take pictures of their kid, the dominoe effect will kick in and pretty soon it is out of control. I attended my niece's dance competition last year and it was quite refreshing to walk in without packing gear. They had signs on every door warning that if they attempted to photograph during a show they would be removed from the premises. In the time I was there I saw them remove 3 people. This was one of those competitions that had at least 20 workstations in the lobby of the convention center and the photography company had obviously spent alot of time and money to put in a ordering system that just about anyone could use. I even spent a few dollars to order a print just to see the process through to the end. It's unfortunate that the event in question here has only hired a videographer. This doesn't make sense to me but it also does not legitimize everyone trying to break the rules so that they have that picture of little Sally.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 02, 2013 01:23 |  #43

If I turn the flash, LCD and beeps off... and shoot with music or have a quiet shutter, I never have problems. And it's not kid's performances. Ballet, theater, the sunny circus...

Only once with a theater performance that critiqued chinese government I didn't feel comfy using my cameras. For every 10 people they had a "no photography volunteer".

"Award mill" - I like that.

If I REALLY questioned the pro photog's ability or didn't like the pricing, I'd shoot an actual dance lesson. If they forbid you to take pictures there, vote with your money.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 02, 2013 14:12 |  #44

Without reading all the posts, it looks like you got to take some pics. But I did want to say that in some cases businesses dont allow this also for liability. We don't allow any cell phones or pics in the gym period. Not of class, nothing. Sometimes at the end of an awards w let the parents come out and take pics. Even though we dont allow pics at any time for the most part we dont always have someone there taking the pics either. But it's for liability, and not to be rude or anything like that, and it's also for privacy of our curriculum and such.
In the past we've had new parents come in and try to video the entire teaching segment with a phone.

It would not surprise me if many other activity centers like dance took this approach for these reasons.

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 02, 2013 16:50 |  #45

Talley wrote in post #15990490 (external link)
They did not have a hired photographer but I did get permission.

My daughter is second from right. This is a heavy crop. I was pretty far back. I have better shots but I'm on the run. Lots of people getting up and moving around too.

QUOTED IMAGE

Since there isnt a hired photographer, you should ask if you can do pictures next time, since you want to take pictures anyways. :)

You will get a good reserved seat, you will be closer so you dont have to crop or get people in front of you, and you could make some extra money. :D

Even if you didnt get permission I wonder what they would do if you snuck in your camera and started taking non flash pictures. They don't want to piss off the parents so they probably wouldn't do much. :)

Canon investor

sponsored links

15,038 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cannot take photos at my daughters recital??? please read statement by dance studio
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.