Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 May 2013 (Thursday) 23:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens for son's kindergarten graduation

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 30, 2013 23:52 |  #1

I currently have a Canon XTI, Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II and the Canon 18-55 IS kit lens. I am going to rent a lens for my son's kindergarten graduation next week. I have been trying to do my research to see a good lens to rent.

As this event will take place indoors, I have been looking at renting the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

Will this lens fit my XTI?

I have read people mentioning the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. But I am more inclined in renting the 17-55 where I can use it for low light setting. I will have my flash as well.

Is there another better option besides the 17-55?

sponsored links
ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 31, 2013 00:06 |  #2

I don't think that there is an answer to that question per se. the utility of the larger aperture is important inside because usually lighting isn't so good...
but how far away are you going to be from the stage/action? Is it something more dynamic or more static in regards to the action? (i mean will the kids perform something or are they just going to be sitting/walking across a stage)
how many parents are you going to have to fight around to get your shot?
can you use a flash?

there is no doubt that the 17-55 is indeed a good to great lens, but if you are going to be far away it might not fit your shooting style. Maybe a 70-200 as a compliment to your 18-55 (with flash)? maybe a 24-70II

and to answer your last question: yes, ef-s and ef mount lenses fit on your xti (which means that the 17-55 will fit just fine on your camera, physically)

and last, but not least, you might want to consider the video aspect of the event.... stills are indeed nice, but for a graduation with an element of action, you might want to cover the video aspects too. (that's coming from a dad who also has a pre-school graduation upcoming in the next month or so) :)

hope this helps in some way

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,158 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 31, 2013 01:11 |  #3

assuming a small classroom type setting for the graduation...i'd use your flash to bounce off the ceiling

17-55IS will work fine though

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 31, 2013 07:35 |  #4

Lighting will probably be poor enough to require a flash even with a f/2.8 lens. I wouldn't rent anything unless it had a focal range longer than 55mm. The 15-85 might be okay but I like to shoot tight and would use my 24-105 (plus flash) if photographing a kindergarten event. Not a recommendation but what I would use based on what lenses I own.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

May 31, 2013 07:54 |  #5

DreDaze wrote in post #15984979 (external link)
assuming a small classroom type setting for the graduation...i'd use your flash to bounce off the ceiling

17-55IS will work fine though

If its in a classroom with some window light, this will work.

My daughter's preschool graduation last year and this years kindergarten graduation is held in a auditorium with no windows virtually nonexistent lighting and a high dark colored ceiling. Stage curtains also block most bounced flash so even trying to color correct bounced flash in post wasn't an option. That far away, direct flash just gives horrible red eye too and if you are trying to get a picture of the whole class, that's a lot of PP work.

I ended up using my 85/1.8 but really could have used a 135/2 from where I sat at least for the individual shots. For the shots of the whole class, i used my sigma 30/1.4.

In that venue, a 2.8 zoom just wouldn't work and that's with my 7D which has better ISO performance than my XT that is very simular to the OPs XTi. My advice is to know the venue and try to do some test shots with what you have before the event and rent accordingly.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 31, 2013 08:15 |  #6

Advice from a parent who went through this a few years ago:

Don't rent a lens. Concentrate instead on living the moment with your kid, and enjoying it. Use your XTi, 18-55 and flash. At my daughter's pre-school ceremony, the teacher posed with each child after handing over the certificate, so there was plenty of time to get up there, take a snapshot and move out of the way. Don't stress about it. When the "graduation" is over, you can ask the teacher to pose properly with your son and his graduation certificate, or whatever they're giving: this will be the shot you keep, not the ceremony snapshot. Set up a few shots with his friends, too, during the "after party. But Your XTi and 18-55 plus flash will be fine. In conditions like that, you're not going to see much, if any, difference in image quality from a 17-55. Use the money to buy your kid a graduation gift instead!

I took a ton of photos at my daughter's preschool ceremony. She's 11 now, and the only photo we've kept is the shot we set up after the ceremony: her wearing her cardboard hat, posed with her teacher and certificate.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

brennanyama
97 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 31, 2013 08:27 |  #7

As far as I'm concerned, if you can use a flash, there is no need to rent a faster lens. If you're worried about whether you can bounce off the celing, buy a diffuser.

I think, with the 18-55, flash, and the 50/1.8, you have all your bases covered. The 17-55 is a nice upgrade over the kit lens, but it doesn't add a whole lot, since you typically shoot at reasonable apertures with flash, even in darker environments anyway. I would look into the 17-55 if flash weren't an option.

My Flickr (external link)

_atlien_
103 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 31, 2013 08:54 |  #8

If you're going to rent anything, rent a 600 Canon flash.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 31, 2013 10:55 |  #9

Thank you everyone for the help. Your reply has helped alot.

• I do know that there are small windows on one side of the room. So there is some light coming in.
• Flash are acceptable as I had taken photos with my flash there before.
• It's not a big room so that is a big plus for me and the walls are white/beige no curtains.
• I do have a video camera which my wife will record

To ceegee, I agree with you. I guess I did stressed a bit. I completely forgot about after the ceremony.

Again, thanks to all for your replies.

sponsored links

1,318 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens for son's kindergarten graduation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.