Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jun 2013 (Monday) 06:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D... slow recharge (hangs on busy) when firing a remote speedlite

marcwilliams88
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 03, 2013 06:03 |  #1

Hey guys, need some advice. I was shooting an outdoor fashion shoot yesterday and to my horror my remote flash triggers started dropping off with low battery levels.

I had to resort to the wireless trigger in the Canon 7D.

I set the 430Ex ii to wireless mode, manual full, set the 7D to fire only the remote 430 and carried on shooting. All went well, then slowly I noticed the 7D was hanging on 'Busy'... why? the on camera flash was not being used at power, only to trigger the 430.... the batteries weren't low on the 7D as I had two full batteries in the grip.

Anyone experienced some strange goings on when trying to use the wireless 7D flash function and fire only a slave?

At one point there was around a 5 second 'busy' recharging period from the camera.... not good! not good at all!

Hot Picsel Photography | Portfolio here... (external link)
flickr (external link) | Canon EOS 7D | EF 24-70 f/4L | EF-S 24 f/2.8 STM | EF 70-200 f/4L | Full kit list

...the camera takes an image, imagination makes the photograph

ericm678
330 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 03, 2013 06:21 |  #2

i could be wrong...but maybe the memory card isn't catching up with the files?

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist" --Pablo Picasso
Gear: 40D-----85 f/1.8-----40 f/2.8----- 20 f/2.8
Wishlist: 6D

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,984 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 03, 2013 06:35 as a reply to  @ ericm678's post |  #3

That's the way it works. Due to the excessive signalling by the flash head, when the built-in is used as a master, it risks overheating pretty soon. To prevent the internal flash from catching fire, the camera introduces a delay between shots, and that's when you see busy in the viewfinder.

I've found the built-in commander flash useful only for occasional shots, or when taking pictures of things which are static, so it doesn't matter if you need to wait a little. For more demanding shots, I use a 580 EX II or 600 EX-RT flash as a master (now assuming Canon gear for remote flash control).

Anders

marcwilliams88
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 03, 2013 09:52 |  #4

ericm678 wrote in post #15994226 (external link)
i could be wrong...but maybe the memory card isn't catching up with the files?

no, I don't think that's the issue, its a CF Sandisk Extreme card, never had issue on 8fps burst or a RAW burst.

flickr (external link) | Canon EOS 7D | EF 24-70 f/4L | EF-S 24 f/2.8 STM | EF 70-200 f/4L | Full kit list

marcwilliams88
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 03, 2013 09:54 |  #5

apersson850 wrote in post #15994245 (external link)
That's the way it works. Due to the excessive signalling by the flash head, when the built-in is used as a master, it risks overheating pretty soon. To prevent the internal flash from catching fire, the camera introduces a delay between shots, and that's when you see busy in the viewfinder.

I've found the built-in commander flash useful only for occasional shots, or when taking pictures of things which are static, so it doesn't matter if you need to wait a little. For more demanding shots, I use a 580 EX II or 600 EX-RT flash as a master (now assuming Canon gear for remote flash control).

thanks, glad someone else has had the exact same experience. Yes, it will be occasional shots from now on with the on board trigger, I was relying on the 3rd party triggers, but they went TU on me!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

846 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 7D... slow recharge (hangs on busy) when firing a remote speedlite
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.