Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 03 Jun 2013 (Monday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When did you decide you were ready for the beast?

Tiller
523 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 03, 2013 10:51 |  #1

I love my old Tamron. I get some weird satisfaction using such an old lens. I always figured someday I would move to the MPE-65, but I wanted to be dead set sure that macro was something I would keep on enjoying. I don't really have any inhibitions about the focusing because all I do is set my Tamron to 1:1 and move my body anyway, so I feel like I'm set on that front.

When did you feel as if you had to have it? I get frustrated I can't get past 1:1 sometimes, so that's why I want it. But I'm not sure if my abilities are advanced enough to allow it.

So what made you take the leap?

Tyler

Canon 60D|Tamron 90mm 52B|Canon 50 1.8|Canon 85 1.8|Yongnuo YN-568ex|Manfrotto 055XProb with 498RC2|Fuji AX Multi Program with 50 1.9 and 135 2.8|Mamiya 645 Pro with 85 2.5|

sponsored links
agiaco
920 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 03, 2013 12:50 |  #2

Hi Tyler,

I took the leap when I was sure I wanted to have the ability to obtain more detail on smaller subjects. If you love macro and want to keep upgrading, the mp-e 65 is definitely the cream of the crop. Ever since I got it a few years ago I've hardly used my 100 macro for insect shots. It's still a great lens, but I'm a sucker for getting up close and personal with my subjects. I found myself wanting to get closer and even with 3 extension tubes it wasn't close to enough.

I know it's a big expense, but in my mind it's been completely worth it. You could mount your Yongnuo on a bracket and diffuse it with a mini softbox as a start for your mp-e. If you have the funding, time, and patience.... go for it!

Anthony

anthony flickr (external link)

EKOEPP
312 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 03, 2013 22:08 as a reply to  @ agiaco's post |  #3

You should rent one! I've been thinking abt it

Canon MarkII 5D * Canon 70-200mm f/4L * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II * Canon 50mm f/1.8 * Venus 60mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
61,580 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 05, 2013 00:46 |  #4

I decided I needed more than 1:1 after about 6 months of macro, I first bought a set of Auto tubes which allowed me to get to 2:1 and then started reversing an old 50mm pentax lens on the front of my macro lens for 3:1 or 4:1 with the tubes. Used all this for about 6 months before deciding to get an MPE-65 almost purely for the convenience.
Brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

BasAndrews
Cream of the Crop
13,004 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 05, 2013 01:17 |  #5

My progression was pretty quick. I saw pictures on POTN, loved the macro thing.
I went from a stock lens and a 75-300 at the start of July 2011 to cheap tubes and then a bolt on lens to the Tamron 90, and then an MP-E came up on Ebay. All within a month. By 2nd of October I had all the lens I would need.

Why? probably because Brian had an MP-E and he seemed to take good pictures.

There was a point at which I thought I may have made a mistake, but I am now able to take a picture and get things in focus once in a while, so the move was well worth it.

Bas (external link)

Tiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 05, 2013 07:57 |  #6

Ok, thanks everyone. Looks like its time to start looking for a deal ;)

Canon 60D|Tamron 90mm 52B|Canon 50 1.8|Canon 85 1.8|Yongnuo YN-568ex|Manfrotto 055XProb with 498RC2|Fuji AX Multi Program with 50 1.9 and 135 2.8|Mamiya 645 Pro with 85 2.5|

Tiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 05, 2013 07:58 |  #7

And Bas, you are Lord of the Flies!

Lester ­ Wareham
29,791 posts
Gallery: 3045 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 05, 2013 12:43 |  #8

Scheduled it in right at the start, but it was about a year before I could get funds for it and the twin flash.

I used the 100mm until then and still use it a great deal today.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

BasAndrews
Cream of the Crop
13,004 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 05, 2013 14:09 |  #9

Tiller wrote in post #16001616 (external link)
And Bas, you are Lord of the Flies!

LOL. On a serious note I cannot say how happy I am with the MP-E/MT-24 and 5DMKII setup.

I am producing pictures I really enjoy, and the whole process is wonderful fun. I finally seem to be getting better.

I really am a lucky so and so.

:cool:

Bas (external link)

chrisa
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Gallery: 132 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 13, 2013 08:46 |  #10

I have a canon MP-E65 and MT-24 combination on mybCanon 50D. I had problems at first with the flash, I'm now sure it was user error everything is working fine now. I added a set of diffusers from a guy in England. He makes them.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1275.photobuck​et.com …hoto/null_zpsd4​4a7072.jpg (external link)

dancook
540 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 13, 2013 08:56 |  #11

I started with a sony alpha 580, had a 105mm sigma macro, added kenko tubes and raynox 150. I had a sigma ring flash, but with the flash attached at maximum magnification the light was beyond the subject! I ended up hand holding the ring flash...

Once I found out about the mp-e I sold all my sony gear and bought canon :) I've had two mp-e's, just recently sold it again. I love it when I use it, but when I'm not using it I'm thinking the money could go to things that will get more use..

sponsored links

1,667 views & 0 likes for this thread
When did you decide you were ready for the beast?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.