Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 19:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tokina 11-16mm differences

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 06, 2013 19:32 |  #1

So anyone know of any differences between the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X Pro DX and the DX-II? Other than the DX-II being newer and $100 more?

I'm looking at renting some of wide angles before I decide on which one to buy, but don't really see a reason to rent both of the Tokina's.

Others I'm looking at renting:
Canon 10-22mm
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DI II

Thanks

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 06, 2013 20:06 |  #2

The new 11-16 2.8 is supposed to be lighter and smaller than the 1st version. I'm not sure if it is better at resisting flare, but I know the 1st version is very succeptable to flaring.
At 11-16, it is really more of a pseudo prime lens than a zoom lens.

The Tamron is older and reportedly the softest of the group you listed.
The Sigma is well regarded.
The Canon is a very good lens.

Tokina also has a few other wide angles: 12-28 f4 and 12-24 f4

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,150 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 06, 2013 20:13 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #3

I have a 12-24mm Tokina ATX Mark-I and I have not been bothered wit flasre (could be my shooting style). However, the 12-28mm f/4 ATX would be a nice focal length since it could limp along as a mid-range zoom if the photographer's mid-range lens went down....

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 07, 2013 07:00 |  #4

From the reports I've read there's very little difference between the MkI and MkII in the Canon Version. The Nikon version is substantially different (something to do with AF motors) and is well worth the price difference. Not so for Canon users.

Highly annoying as I was hoping I could sell my Canon 10-22 and Tokina 11-16 MkI and replace them both with a MkII.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tokina 11-16mm differences
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.