Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 10 Jun 2013 (Monday) 04:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tennis - national level

RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 10, 2013 04:35 |  #1

Hello,

Interclub in my town, first time shooting with the 70-200mm f.2.8 IS ii USM.

Obvious issues with the shutter speed, shoud've shot more in shutter speed priority instead of Av. Also issues with composition.

1)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

2)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

3)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

sponsored links
Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 10, 2013 05:36 |  #2

Av is much more appropriate for sports than Tv -- unless you desire a slow shutter speed for panning.

Dave Hoffmann

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 10, 2013 05:41 |  #3

Gatorboy wrote in post #16016152 (external link)
Av is much more appropriate for sports than Tv -- unless you desire a slow shutter speed for panning.

That's what I figured as well, but with a dark background (like in the third pic), it sets the shutter too slow to freeze the action properly. I guess I should set the ISO to auto to fix it.

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 10, 2013 14:36 as a reply to  @ RedCatPhoto's post |  #4

AV and TV mode are inverse of each other in this case. So you can use either one to accomplish your goal. It often comes down to preference but I use TV mode significantly more in this case.

1) I shoot a lot of tennis tournaments and do so most often in TV mode. Because maintaining higher shutter speeds is the priority and I desire full control over that variable. I can tweak exposure as desired with ISO...

2) In theory, AV mode would seem best for such because it will always render the fastest Shutter Speed possible for a given shot. There are however many challenges and issues with that approach.

a) What if you desire a slower shutter speed for a particular shot in depicting motion?

b) What if it is a dark day (morning, evening, cloudy) or your subject is dark or in and out of shady areas? In that case you will not maintain a higher shutter speed as desired. This is the issue the OP experienced, btw.

c) What if you need a higher Aperture setting in getting two people (doubles players) in focus? Once more, your camera will adjust your shutter speed to a slower setting in accommodating for that, which may be slower than you desire.

AV mode is perfectly fine if the lighting is sufficient to maintain high shutter speeds and such is what you desire for a given shot.

3) If the lighting is really challenging or I need greater control, I will resort to full Manual.

You may get a lot of debate on this but this is what has worked best for me. I play and photograph a lot of amateur tournaments where there are often great challenges (tree's, backgrounds, daylight hours, clothing etc).

Again, it really is what works best for you OP but I would recommend using TV mode and set the ISO as needed. That scenario requires less adjusting btw as you really don't have to adjust the ISO much. Just set it to around ISO 500 (typical) and raise it as light diminishes or is poor (morning, evening, shaded). If I have to go over ISO 1000 due to poor lighting I will then resort to Manual mode or a faster lens.

You should also consider your metering mode OP. I most often use center weight but will resort to spot metering if needed.

Good luck,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

ktan7
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 10, 2013 14:51 |  #5

Good capture on these action shots :)

Vancouver wedding photography (external link)
Picture blog (external link)
Mexico wedding photographer (external link)

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 11, 2013 02:26 |  #6

Thanks for the feedbacks ;)

Ralph, I'll try to shoot in Tv mode next time (especially if there are shadows and such). Surely the 5d mark iii would also be a better option than the 7d since it would handle higher ISO better if needed and reach is no factor when it comes to shooting tennis. And the FPS is still pretty decent for the matter I guess.

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 15, 2013 11:42 as a reply to  @ RedCatPhoto's post |  #7

#2 is fun.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

John ­ Alberts
49 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 16, 2013 01:07 |  #8

like to see more

Met een Canon in je hand door de ganse wereld

sponsored links

1,338 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tennis - national level
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.