Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Jun 2013 (Monday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to do pastel photos

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 10, 2013 14:20 |  #1

I've noticed that many photographers who do babies/families/weddin​gs use pastel "colors" is there a training somewhere how to shoot pastel photos? Similar to http://pastelphotograp​hy.com/blog/ (external link)
Or are all these some special Photoshop actions?

I tried to use photoshop pastel actions on my flowers but it didn't work much. Any tips/help would be appreciated thanks

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 10, 2013 14:39 |  #2

A general way to obtain this look is to reduce the contrast some (the PS curves tool is wonderful for adjusting the tone curve/contrast) and tone down the saturation. To fine-tune the look of the photo, work with individual color channels to obtain the exact look you want. As far as actions, I'm sure that there are plenty of them but I don't use any so I can't speak to that.....maybe someone else can chime in with input on some good actions to achieve this look.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 10, 2013 14:42 |  #3

This gets posted about 3 times a week, so I'm going to ask you what I ask my students: what do you think is going on in these photos?

1. Is overall contrast high or low?
2. Are the shots backlit, side lit, or front lit?
3. Are the exposures high key or low key?
4. Is the depth of field large or small?
5. Where do the midtones lie with respect to the shadows and highlights?
6. Are the shadows and highlights neutral toned (relative to the overall white balance), or do you see any evidence of split toning? If so, what colours do you see?
7. Do you see ANY pure blacks in these images (that's a BIG hint, BTW)?

Answer these questions, and you'll know the answer you seek.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but this look (which I happen to like, generally, since it's really trying to get to the look of pushed negative film) is EVERYWHERE these days, and there are many, many places to find out how to do it.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 10, 2013 14:44 |  #4

jra wrote in post #16017689 (external link)
maybe someone else can chime in with input on some good actions to achieve this look.

VSCO Film. Of course, VSCO alone wont give you this look. You need to know how to set your tone curve appropriately. But VSCO is a very, very good place to start, FWIW.

Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,671 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 10, 2013 14:45 |  #5

Go to deviantart.com Do a search for actions. There are many ways to abuse a photo, they have an action for nearly every one.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 10, 2013 14:46 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #16017709 (external link)
Go to deviantart.com Do a search for actions. There are many ways to abuse a photo, they have an action for nearly every one.

+100 :)

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 10, 2013 17:24 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #16017709 (external link)

so you think those photos are being "abused"?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 10, 2013 17:39 |  #8

edge100 wrote in post #16017696 (external link)
but this look (which I happen to like, generally, since it's really trying to get to the look of pushed negative film) is EVERYWHERE these days...

Yep, and I don't get it either,
If your pics and film came back from the lab looking like that you'd be wanting an explanation from them as to how they ruined your photos and that they should give your money back.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Black ­ Mesa ­ Images
339 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 10, 2013 19:30 |  #9

philwillmedia wrote in post #16018319 (external link)
If your pics and film came back from the lab looking like that you'd be wanting an explanation from them as to how they ruined your photos and that they should give your money back.

Apples and oranges since we "develop our own film":D

Instagram (external link)
Black Mesa Images on Facebook (external link)
Black Mesa Images Blog and Photography (external link)
Twitter (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 11, 2013 07:24 |  #10

philwillmedia wrote in post #16018319 (external link)

The difference is that with negative film, you can push the mids and highlights like this, but ALSO have deep blacks. This is simply because the highlight range of neg film is enormous (at least 7 stops over middle grey), while digital gets you maybe 2 stops over middle grey. Consequently, it becomes very difficult to push the highlights more than a little bit. You really have to know what you're doing.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,642 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jun 11, 2013 07:30 |  #11

Study color theory. Use soft colors that work well together. Use lighting that is not contrasty and does not create deep shadows and/or a lot of contrast. Then control contrast and saturation in post.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,671 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 11, 2013 09:57 |  #12

alexdesign wrote in post #16018277 (external link)
so you think those photos are being "abused"?

I think that there is a fine line between a color treatment and a mistreatment. Usually if you dont develop a technique through trial and error but try to buy or copy somebody elses shortcut it usually ends in gimmickry.

sponsored links

2,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to do pastel photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.