Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Jun 2013 (Friday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ALERT: YOU WILL GET SCAMMED IF...

Daskid
152 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 16, 2013 13:05 |  #46

That is why I seldom buy used gear off of the internet aside from a trusted/reputable entity. If I really have to, I'd rather meet the person at a local bank or Starbucks.

5DII Gripped / 6D / Σ 15 ƒ2.8 FishEye / EF 24-70 ƒ2.8 II L / EF 24-105 ƒ4 L IS / EF 70-200 ƒ2.8 II L IS / eternalclicksphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Icecreamstar
26 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 16, 2013 14:10 |  #47

Try use web..
search the user name, search the email address, search the address
search the photos he provides see if it is from internet

lots of ways to protect urself

one of the most important, never ever try to grab a''too good to be true''

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 16, 2013 14:53 |  #48

I prefer to use American Express since I don't like credit cards. Took me 10 long years to dig out of a CC mess when I was young and that taught me a life's lesson. With AA you have to pay in full at the end of the month without interest so I use AA (as "pseudo-cash" with AA scam protection) through PayPal. Never keep money in PayPal and never use PayPal balance to buy stuff (I always transfer my entire PayPal balance to my PayPal verified bank and then go to that bank ATM transfer all of it from that Bank to my primary household Bank that is not connected to PayPal or my PayPal Bank (Wells Fargo, & BofA for instance), so it can't be touched without my express written consent or a court order. If someone has a legitimate claim against me I will gladly and promptly refund 100% of their money, no problem. But I want to be an active participant in that process. Not a helpless bystander watching money being taken from my account for who knows how long because of a false "charge-back" scammer filing a claim. Dealing with PayPal during a dispute is hit or miss at best and those times they miss it can really hurt... so don't pay with your PayPal balance because to re-coup that you have to file a PayPal claim...

If I get scammed I make a claim with AA which doesn't mess around with legitimate claims of fraud and let AA fight it out with PayPal. My bank account tied to PayPal is not the same one my wife and I use for paying bills and living. In fact it's not even at the same Banking company. That's hugely important because most people don't know that if you have more than one account with the same bank, whether you know it or not, they're all tied together. The Bank can take money from any of your accounts at the same bank to settle a shortfall in any other account if they want to. My brother who is on my elderly Mom's account in case something happens bounced a check from his personal account, not hers, at the same bank but because he's also listed on my Mom's account as a co-member they took the money out of her account to cover his check even though the accounts weren't directly linked. Read the fine print on your banking agreement, especially if you own a small business under your name.

No way is scam proof but the safest way I have found it to get a PayPal account, tie it to a Bank account that you do no other business with (at a completely different bank from where you do your personal finances), Keep the minimum deposit in that account to keep it open and use American Express as your method of payment when buying through PayPal. This has saved me from several scammers in the past where PayPal was less than helpful. And last but not least don't let shame or embarrassment keep you from filing a claim (this is what the scammers are hoping for). As soon as you suspect you've been scammed make a claim.

My rule is simple, unless otherwise agreed to, if I don't have a tracking number in 10 days, and if I don't have the product as described in my possession 20 days, I'm asking for a refund. If I don't have that refund in < 5 days (the 25 day mark) then I'm filing a claim (all days are calendar days, not working days - you may want to shorten those times, but do NOT go over them or you will run out of time and could lose your claim). If it all works out in the end then no-one is harmed beyond a few ruffled feathers, But if you wait more than 30 days you start losing some of, if not all of, your rights to dispute a charge (some places it's 45 days but why risk it - I use < 30 days for everything).

If someone I don't know personally, and who I thoroughly trust, can't have a product I bought from them in my hands in 20 days, or less, then I don't want it, and I want a full refund.

Do your own research. Make your own game plan. I'm sure there are even better ways to protect yourself than what I do, I'm not a fraud prevention expert. This is just what I do and I have never been successfully scammed and I've been on the internet since old "ix.netcom.com" days in 1996.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 16, 2013 16:00 |  #49

baj2k wrote in post #16036494 (external link)
I prefer to use American Express since I don't like credit cards. Took me 10 long years to dig out of a CC mess when I was young and that taught me a life's lesson. With AA you have to pay in full at the end of the month without interest so I use AA (as "pseudo-cash" with AA scam protection) through PayPal.

curious.... what do you mean by "with AA you have to pay in full at the end of the month?" thought it works pretty similarly with regular cards--you pay right away no interest, if you leave a balance you get interest. no?

btw, good tips there. you probably go much farther than most (including me) but it's good to know what is possible.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 16, 2013 16:09 |  #50

Xyclopx wrote in post #16036625 (external link)
curious.... what do you mean by "with AA you have to pay in full at the end of the month?" thought it works pretty similarly with regular cards--you pay right away no interest, if you leave a balance you get interest. no?

btw, good tips there. you probably go much farther than most (including me) but it's good to know what is possible.

American Express has something called "Sign and Travel" and another program but I forget the name where any purchase over $100 can be deferred. I don't use either of those plans. AA Optima (or whatever the call it now) is a regular credit card that works just like any other card.

The main reason I like American Express is that in my experience they handle fraud claims lightening fast and they start from the "card Member is right until proven otherwise" point of view. That has not been my experience with any other Credit Card company, including PayPal.

I've had a couple incidents where my American Express was fraudulently used and I called AA, they cancelled my card, removed the charges and placed them on investigative hold, overnighted me a new card, and even offered to wire me cash in case I was stranded without money while travelling. They sent me a simple "I did not make these charges" affidavit to sign and boom they were taken off my bill never to return. Who else does that? That's why I literally don't leave home without my AA card. ;) It has saved my a$$ several times when I was stranded without cash because of a lost wallet, missed flight, broken down car, travelling to Timbuktu, etc... I've been a card member since 1981 and if you don't accept AA I probably won't do business with you unless I have the cash on me. And when my time comes I've asked to be buried with it in case it works on the other side... :D

And no, I don't work for American Express or any of it's affiliates... :cool:

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 16, 2013 20:56 |  #51

Thanks. I just got a mental image of St. Peter looking disapprovingly at some poor guy and saying, "and we don't accept American Express", then pushing the button sending him down to Hell. I needed that. :)

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 16, 2013 22:40 |  #52

Scammers will be on these forums and theres not much you can do except be smart. I've been part of a few forums and have seen a lot of suspicious activity and I have been scammed. One thing I will never do again is use money order. This guy had well over 2k post and was active. I bought an item that was a bit lower then used prices but not by a lot, maybe $20-40 less then normal prices but it happens. I swnt obey order and never received the item. He got banned and I lost out. Not much I can do anymore at that time.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 16, 2013 22:47 |  #53

I dont remember who it was, but I got a PM not long ago when selling an item and they wanted pictures of my item with a piece of paper in the image with their username. Zero posts. Red flag there. I had pictures already up and everything. I knew exactly what they were trying to do.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

wihakowi
158 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 17, 2013 09:55 |  #54

Invertalon wrote in post #16037504 (external link)
I dont remember who it was, but I got a PM not long ago when selling an item and they wanted pictures of my item with a piece of paper in the image with their username. Zero posts. Red flag there. I had pictures already up and everything. I knew exactly what they were trying to do.

This request is exactly what I do to ensure that the seller actually has in their possession the items listed - and pictured! Several times I have seen the same pictures (not as stock images) of items for sale. Asking the seller to include something very specific in a picture of the item - post-it with their user name or email, local newspaper dated that day or other specific "identifier" is a common and easy way to give a bit more assurance that the deal is legit. I hope that my requests are not looked at as "red flags". I know that I do that when requested.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,675 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 17, 2013 10:54 |  #55

I dont remember who it was, but I got a PM not long ago when selling an item and they wanted pictures of my item with a piece of paper in the image with their username. Zero posts. Red flag there.

No, the red flag is if YOU can't provide what they're asking for. They're asking you to prove that you have the item, and didn't just "borrow" photos of it.

I knew exactly what they were trying to do.

What would that be?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,006 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 17, 2013 11:20 |  #56

Well, why would anybody ask you to supply photos of things you are selling with their screenname on it? I could see if they want your screenname on it.

They are too lazy to dig up photos themselves and put their own screenname on them to scam people.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 17, 2013 11:29 |  #57

Exactly ^

It is not that they wanted photos with some info in them (that is perfectly fine), it was the request that they wanted THEIR username in them and it came from somebody with 0 posts. They could have EASILY used the image, if I sent it, to make their own listing and scam somebody. I am almost 99% certain that is what they wanted to do. Moose, didn't you read this thread at all about what went on?

I have no problem to prove I have an item, but I won't put their username on it. Especially given my feedback, history on the site (FM and eBay as well).

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 17, 2013 11:32 |  #58

moose10101 wrote in post #16038761 (external link)
No, the red flag is if YOU can't provide what they're asking for. They're asking you to prove that you have the item, and didn't just "borrow" photos of it.

What would that be?

I'm sure he can if he wants to. You seriously can't see the red flag there?

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 17, 2013 11:37 |  #59

baj2k wrote in post #16036494 (external link)
With AA you have to pay in full at the end of the month without interest so I use AA (as "pseudo-cash" with AA scam protection) through PayPal.

AA? American Axpress?

mpix345
Goldmember
2,853 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 17, 2013 11:39 |  #60

morph2_7 wrote in post #16038909 (external link)
AA? American Axpress?

I don't think it is the new Alcoholic's Anonymous visa card. :) It can be used for online transactions but not in bars or liquor stores...

sponsored links

7,942 views & 0 likes for this thread
ALERT: YOU WILL GET SCAMMED IF...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.