Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Jun 2013 (Friday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ALERT: YOU WILL GET SCAMMED IF...

wihakowi
158 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 17, 2013 21:18 |  #61

Invertalon wrote in post #16038887 (external link)
Exactly ^

It is not that they wanted photos with some info in them (that is perfectly fine), it was the request that they wanted THEIR username in them and it came from somebody with 0 posts. They could have EASILY used the image, if I sent it, to make their own listing and scam somebody. I am almost 99% certain that is what they wanted to do. Moose, didn't you read this thread at all about what went on?

I have no problem to prove I have an item, but I won't put their username on it. Especially given my feedback, history on the site (FM and eBay as well).

Ah - I see said the blind man! Or at least the guy whose reading comprehension was bit off earlier!
I concur with your observations.

sponsored links
KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 18, 2013 16:46 |  #62

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16038856 (external link)
Well, why would anybody ask you to supply photos of things you are selling with their screenname on it? I could see if they want your screenname on it.

They are too lazy to dig up photos themselves and put their own screenname on them to scam people.

Invertalon wrote in post #16038887 (external link)
Exactly ^

It is not that they wanted photos with some info in them (that is perfectly fine), it was the request that they wanted THEIR username in them and it came from somebody with 0 posts. They could have EASILY used the image, if I sent it, to make their own listing and scam somebody. I am almost 99% certain that is what they wanted to do. Moose, didn't you read this thread at all about what went on?

I have no problem to prove I have an item, but I won't put their username on it. Especially given my feedback, history on the site (FM and eBay as well).

I believe that whenever you are trying to sell something online especially expensive camera items, at the very least the seller just gotta be able to prove their Online Reputation. Whether that is eBay, or some forum...
It's your hard earned money, so Without solid reputation of the Seller, why take chance? just pay the little extra and buy new from reputable stores, B&H, Amazon, Adorama etc...

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,007 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 18, 2013 16:55 |  #63

^ Not sure why you quoted the both of us in relation to your reply? Our quotes and your reply don't really coincide.

EDIT: Just to make the comments clearer (since a few folks didn't seem to comprehend the replies), imagine this scenario (which Invertalon actually had happen)...

Seller A is selling something, Buyer B contacts Seller A and asks that Seller A takes pictures of the items being sold and then asks Seller A to put Buyer B's screen-name on the photos...

This is unusual, completely uncalled for, and only would serve one purpose, Buyer B wants to scam other folks. I hope this clears things up. If I were Invertalon, I would have done exactly was was requested but added the word "Beware Of" as a prefix before the buyer's name. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

gbsonguitars
133 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 18, 2013 17:52 |  #64

We were scammed by Danny Doyle this week. He has $550 of our money and sent us AN EMPTY WHITE ENVELOPE! We have a ton of proof with this guy. He is good at what he does. He makes emotional connections and makes you trust him. PLEASE be careful when it seems too good to be true.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,007 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 18, 2013 18:10 |  #65

It's too bad folks have to resort to that just to make money. If they would actually put their talents to good use, they most likely would actually make much more in some industry somewhere. :(

They just need a good ol' fashioned smackdown, what goes around eventually comes around.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

gbsonguitars
133 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 18, 2013 18:29 |  #66

We have the FBI and our bank investigating him so hopefully he will get his :) and you're right, he's apparently very smart to have scammed so many, if only he would use his powers for good.

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,852 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 18, 2013 18:49 |  #67

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16043333 (external link)
what goes around eventually comes around.

Amen!

a7RII • RX1RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 19, 2013 02:51 |  #68

gbsonguitars wrote in post #16043372 (external link)
We have the FBI and our bank investigating him so hopefully he will get his :) and you're right, he's apparently very smart to have scammed so many, if only he would use his powers for good.

Our prisons are full of people who thought they were too smart and too clever to ever get caught. They make wonderful inmates.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 19, 2013 04:57 |  #69

I'm speechless. Why are obvious scammers' posts not deleted. Why are they left to be read?

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 19, 2013 06:28 |  #70

gbsonguitars wrote in post #16043287 (external link)
We were scammed by Danny Doyle this week. He has $550 of our money and sent us AN EMPTY WHITE ENVELOPE! We have a ton of proof with this guy. He is good at what he does. He makes emotional connections and makes you trust him. PLEASE be careful when it seems too good to be true.

My sympathies. :( What a bummer. He/she tried to get me, too. It's so easy for honest folks to forget that there's people out there that are just out to scam us... because we would never do that.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

eaglssong
Goldmember
3,342 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 19, 2013 06:53 |  #71

Skip Souza wrote in post #16031570 (external link)
We already have a 30 Day, 30 Post requirement. There will be no tweaking the software at this time because we have all new software arriving later this year.

Each and every member is required to vet their own buyer/sellers. There are a few guidelines that all should follow, the primary being: "PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

After that, be sure to know your trading partner and establish lines of communications outside of this forum.

Glad you posted about the 30 day, 30 post requirement Skip. I was going to ask if that had gone by the wayside, after reading up to this point. Glad to see it hasn't, although obviously there are people who know how to get around that.

I think what we all need to always keep in mind that common sense needs to prevail, especially when on the internet. Realizing that not all newbies are scammers, I also have made it a practice not to purchase anything from people with very low post counts, and I also check the feedback forum and ebay if there are any lingering doubts. Mostly, if it's a great deal, but you're not comfortable, don't do it!! Other great deals will come along.

:) Anne

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 19, 2013 06:59 |  #72

eaglssong wrote in post #16044654 (external link)
Glad you posted about the 30 day, 30 post requirement Skip. I was going to ask if that had gone by the wayside, after reading up to this point. Glad to see it hasn't, although obviously there are people who know how to get around that.

I think what we all need to always keep in mind that common sense needs to prevail, especially when on the internet. Realizing that not all newbies are scammers, I also have made it a practice not to purchase anything from people with very low post counts, and I also check the feedback forum and ebay if there are any lingering doubts. Mostly, if it's a great deal, but you're not comfortable, don't do it!! Other great deals will come along.

I suggest that if they are giving you their ebay user name, that you verify that it's the same person by contacting the ebay user. This "Danny Doyle" person gave me an ebay user name with a 400 count 100% rating. Although, I guess they could be good on ebay and still scam on forums. :/

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,007 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 19, 2013 07:29 |  #73

I usually get references from other sites, then contact them through those sites to verify the ID is theirs.

smacatl
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 19, 2013 07:52 |  #74

MDJAK wrote in post #16044516 (external link)
I'm speechless. Why are obvious scammers' posts not deleted. Why are they left to be read?

Two thoughts off the top of my head: First, removing posts will disrupt the flow of the thread leaving gaps in the progression of conversation (making the responses confusing).

Secondly and most importantly, hopefully people can learn from the mistakes of others. Exposure to the threat of being scammed may help cause the next potential victim to proceed with a little more caution.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

gbsonguitars
133 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 19, 2013 09:43 |  #75

Yeah, the only reason we bought from him was because he did provide an ebay account with a great rating. I guess he just picked a random username off ebay and of course, I always try to believe the best in people. That won't happen again unless there is substantial proof. Our first clue should have been it was too good of a deal. Sigh. I love this forum and we have bought things here before with no issues so it sucks it's not a completely safe place like I gullibly believed. Oh well, we learned from our mistake and will NEVER be that stupid again.

Lusting after a beautiful camera can blind anyone's common sense :)

sponsored links

7,954 views & 0 likes for this thread
ALERT: YOU WILL GET SCAMMED IF...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.