Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Jun 2013 (Tuesday) 10:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Engagement party free photoshoot /gift?

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 18, 2013 10:34 |  #1

Hello all,

I was approved to come to an Indian engagement party as a starting photographer to do a free of charge photo shoot for my portfolio. My question is, as a pro photographer who's done weddings/engagement parties, do you guys bring any type of gift for the couple? Maybe a little something?

I don't know the etiquette when to arrive at engagement party (it's going to be my first photo shoot ever) and they are going to have 200+ guests..

Any tips/help would be appreciated.
Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links
awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 18, 2013 10:41 |  #2

no.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 18, 2013 10:50 |  #3

I don't bring any gifts. I'm there to work, not as a guest (even though I try to blend in as much as possible). If I'm shooting it for a friend, then MAYBE I'll bring one. But even that, I tend not to bring one.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 18, 2013 11:42 |  #4

Your concern about bringing a gift (and of course you shouldn't be bringing a gift !) makes me wonder to what extent you're treating this as a professional job. For example, do you have a contract that includes the particulars about what the client receives in terms of a product ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 18, 2013 12:50 |  #5

OH MY what a first event !!!! This is not going to be easy. They should be the ones giving you a gift !!!!!

Have you ever shot an Indian event before?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 18, 2013 12:56 |  #6

An Indian engagement party is pretty close to a wedding reception. Last Indian engagement I did, I lit the venue with remote triggers and brought a studio strobe with an umbrella.
You are going to be expected to get posed images of the couple. There might be some type of ceremony. After the ceremony there will be a LINE with EVERY guest. Each family will have a family picture with the engaged couple. Most likely the couple will be on a couch with a very ornate backdrop behind the couch.

Bring lots of batteries.. back up equipment and memory cards.

An Indian engagement is a BIG thing...treat it like a wedding...

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 19, 2013 06:51 |  #7

Thanks all for replies.

No, I have not done an Indian engagement before nor any engagements nor any weddings nada. Zilch.
I told the guy "do NOT count on me for images, hire a pro photographer" I am just there to try it out and if something decent will come out, he can have the high res images free of charge of course.

Do not have a contract, other than verbal (if any images are decent, I'll post them to my online portfolio).

As far as props go, do not have any and can't afford any either. I am borrowing 5d camera with several L lenses and 1 flash with soft box. It may not be enough and probably isn't going to be good, I am mostly counting on natural light (hope it won't rain).

Yeah, I searched on Internet for an Indian engagement photos found some great shots so at least I know what to expect and what to see. Atm I am a nervous wreck and terrified just hope I'll take good photos (better than their pro photographer). There are some photographers in my city who take horrible pictures and manage to stay in business.

Here is an example
http://indianapolis.cr​aigslist.org/crs/38702​19325.html (external link)

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 19, 2013 07:08 |  #8

Also, when you go to an engagement party /wedding, do you bring your own food/drink with you? Since a photographer is not a friend/guest, shouldn't expect to eat for free?

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2013 09:34 |  #9

alexdesign wrote in post #16044672 (external link)
Also, when you go to an engagement party /wedding, do you bring your own food/drink with you? Since a photographer is not a friend/guest, shouldn't expect to eat for free?

No, I don't bring my own food. When I meet up with my clients, I tell them that I will be bringing an assistant and it'd be nice for both of us to be fed (no exact wording, of course). I've never had a client go "uhh, we can't feed you...you're going to have to go to McD's". They always insist that we eat. DJs get fed. Band members get fed. Photographers gets fed.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 19, 2013 18:50 |  #10

alexdesign wrote in post #16044672 (external link)

Weddings it is in my contract that the couple provides a meal.

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 19, 2013 18:52 |  #11

alexdesign wrote in post #16042085 (external link)
My question is, as a pro photographer who's done weddings/engagement parties, do you guys bring any type of gift for the couple?

No. Why would you? Does the plumber bring you a gift when he comes to fix your hot water system?

Peter

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 19, 2013 20:07 |  #12

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16046596 (external link)
No. Why would you? Does the plumber bring you a gift when he comes to fix your hot water system?

Lol, no :D
But they are getting engaged it's a huge event in their lives and to be friendly I thought bringing something for good luck..love...prosperit​y I don't know just a thought.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 19, 2013 20:40 |  #13

If you are shooting for free...You should get free food :)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 19, 2013 20:47 |  #14

Yeah--something to bear in mind: of the 3 or 4 Indian engagements I've done, all were located in industrial areas or at least areas that weren't conducive to going down the street and getting lunch. If you're there, they're going to have to feed you. I should also add that in my experience, the folks who have these events are super generous and thoughtful and will ask you probably a dozen times if you've eaten yet. They'll make you eat !

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 19, 2013 20:49 |  #15

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16046596 (external link)

He might if he's fixing the toilet...

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

1,897 views & 0 likes for this thread
Engagement party free photoshoot /gift?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.