Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 20 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 08:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I apply for this job?

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 20, 2013 08:37 |  #1

A local gig in my area in my town is hiring a 2nd shooting photographer to shoot weddings. The photographer must come with his/her own equipment/lenses be prompt and dependable.

The job pays $20/hour for an 8 hour of continuous wedding photo shoot. That's $160 for a wedding photo shoot. At the end of the event all pictures will be turned in digitally to a photo agency (one that's hiring). There will be no image editing required or done on my part.

Here's the catch : I will NOT be able to show MY images online or on my website, but I may show them to clients via password protected who inquire about wedding portfolio and prices. But if I will not be able to post pictures to my online portfolio, how will people know that I can take wedding pictures? Not even to mention I won't be able to return my investment on camera body/flashes/lenses for such small fee.

Any advice/suggestions?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links
kenwood33
Goldmember
2,615 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 20, 2013 08:43 |  #2

This is a typical arrangement and the only thing you can gain is the experience (maybe a free meal too).

Gearlist

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 20, 2013 09:37 as a reply to  @ kenwood33's post |  #3

If you have the gear and your ok working at $20/hr, then why not. If you have to rent any gear then I would say no.

Its not a portfolio building chance, its just a job.

adam8080
Goldmember
2,280 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 20, 2013 09:56 |  #4

It also gives you experience with weddings if that is something you are lacking. You may also be able to use them in a print portfolio (album) when meeting with a prospective client which can certainly be useful, but double check with that beforehand.

Not sure where you are located, but around here, that would be the offering for someone who doesn't have very much experience in weddings/photography and would give them an excellent opportunity to learn while still receiving some kind of income.

Housley Photography (external link)
Camera Obscura
Business Card Help!

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 20, 2013 10:14 |  #5

20/hr is awfully cheap if they are not providing equipment for you.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 20, 2013 10:21 |  #6

Gotta start somewhere.

If you're past starting, I'd pass on that though. Are you looking at that as a part time job, or will they be giving you enough work to live off of?

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,284 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 20, 2013 10:23 |  #7

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16048351 (external link)
20/hr is awfully cheap if they are not providing equipment for you.

I would tend to agree, although it is certainly better than a lot of other jobs out there these days. Is this price at all negotiable and are there potentially other benefits?

That being said, I'm currently working as a second shooter for a friend on a book project. I use all my own equipment and she pays me $31.25/hr. I bill her for shooting AND processing time and there may be as much as 50-75 billable hours. This rate is on the low side for me and I'm not doing it for the experience; rather, it will be a prominent book for a major institution and I'm doing it for the "guts and glory" of it all ;). I also report this to the IRS and even though I have shooting this project for 8 months now, I won't be "showing" any of the work until after the book launch which will be 1Q 2014.

My least expensive wedding package is $550 for three hours so I typically tell people my rate is about $150 - 200/hr......depending. Btw, that three hour package is 4x6 proofs in a modest book and no disk.

Bottom line is how hungry are you, and as Sam says you have to start somewhere. This might not be too bad for a little while, but not forever.

TAXES - I didn't see this mentioned but are they making any deductions from that $20/hour? If they are that could be a real show stopper and change the whole equation. If it's just cash under the table then that's another issue. You get more money up front, you are cheated on your (eventual) social security, and they may be leaving themselves open.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 20, 2013 10:35 |  #8

If you don't have to worry about any of the marketing, planning, processing, upselling, etc... $20 an hour ain't bad. You'll also learn a lot in your first 2 to 5 weddings to decide whether you want to commit to accepting weddings on your own.

I wouldn't suggest shooting more than 5 weddings under this type of arrangement. But I can think of a lot worse situations (like shooting on spec, shooting for trade or free, etc).

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

richardhurst
636 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 20, 2013 10:45 as a reply to  @ JacobPhoto's post |  #9

just use it for the experience and then when you feel confident enough then step out on your own and earn what your photography deserves.

www.richardhurstphotog​raphy.co.uk (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/25411​6831306074 (external link)
http://richardhurst.50​0px.com (external link)

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 20, 2013 11:19 |  #10

Yeah $20/hour - gas/miles/my time/car tear and wear - shouldn't expected to be fed (not know what type of weddings these are) etc...

I do my taxes as 1040 independent contractor that's what I've been using since I launched my graphic design business in 2001. So -taxes which is about 25% these days - gas/miles/car tear and wear it's practically free shooting and won't be able to post images online....hmm a tough call.

Thanks all for your words of wisdom.
Appreciate it

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 20, 2013 11:20 |  #11

p.s. the price is non negotiable btw. They mentioned that

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,284 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 20, 2013 12:54 |  #12

alexdesign wrote in post #16048539 (external link)
p.s. the price is non negotiable btw. They mentioned that

Understood - I see what you're facing here. As Jacob suggested this might not be a bad idea for the first 5 or so weddings.

If you decide to go for it I would not tell them up front how many you want to do (you honestly don't know at this point, truly) but I would act in a professional manner and give them a little warning perhaps before you decide to remove yourself from their "pool."

If you don't do it, how will you be spending your time? On the other hand you will be filling your free time with some income and experience if you decide to participate.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 20, 2013 13:05 |  #13

Sounds like a chance for some experience and the benefit of earning a LITTLE extra green in the bank account. Sure it's not much, but if you're not earning your living from your photography, it doesn't sound like a horrible gig. You do make a valid point about expenses though. Taking that in to consideration does make the decision a bit tougher. Only you can determine if the income outweighs the cost but as an outsider looking in I'd say....consider it, if only for the experience. The income from it will pay the expenses....hopefully. :-)

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D│M50
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 20, 2013 15:58 |  #14

Watch out for a non-compete clause or similar language in any contract you sign.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,651 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 21, 2013 00:18 |  #15

sapearl wrote in post #16048384 (external link)
I didn't see this mentioned but are they making any deductions from that $20/hour? . . . If it's just cash under the table then that's another issue. You get more money up front, you are cheated on your (eventual) social security, and they may be leaving themselves open.

Cash "under the table" isn't the only form of cash. If they treat him as a freelancer, the money is self-employment income. He pays his own Social Security tax on it, and his Soc. Sec. account is credited.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links

2,161 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I apply for this job?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.