Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 21 Jun 2013 (Friday) 03:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Traveling in London, my first impressions!!

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 21, 2013 03:05 |  #1

I have been in London for a week and I like it. I like its people, buildings, landmarks, style, tube, and (again!) its people. I have shot many photos, but I did not bring my computer, so I have only posted very few pics (downloaded to my friend's Mac/Iphoto with no pp) on other sections of the forum. One thing seemed to me different from California:

At the restaurants, bars, or pubs, one has two choices: Take it away (take out) or Waiter Service (dine in). The difference in price is relatively insignificant (4-12% added?). However, if you buy something to take away, you cannot sit in the outside (or inside) chairs. We bought some gelato to take out and on our way out, we saw empty tables and sat for few one minute (easy to get tired of walking in London). A minute later, a waiter came and tolds us that we must leave, "we need the tables" (he was going to seat a party of four, there were about 20 empty tables, but he chose the one we were using to sit the party of four.

When at Canterbury, we went into a pastry store and ordered a coffee (take away or dine in?) to take away (we were walking and not tired yet). However, right after the over the counter helper was done and we were ready to pay, we decided to sit for a minute. Immediately the waiter told us that she will help us on the table. We sat, and four minutes later, the waiter came and asked us: "What would you like to order?". We felt in Bizzarro world, this is the same waiter that saw everything inside and told us that she will help us outside. I was thinking that she was going to bring the order (already served by the other attendant). Instead, she acted as if she saw us for the first time. We did not like it (or were really surprised) and left. The gelato incident happened the following day.

The other thing that impacted me is: British drive in the wrong side of the road, and they are proud of it. Instead of changing their ways to adopt to the rest of the world (yes, London is also full with people from the rest of the world), they maintain their anomality ( :) ) Although I did know this, it has been a real exprience almost being hit by car and byciclists (hundreds of them). Another thing: NO J-Walking tickes and no police on the streets. That is a good one.

I will post more of my experiences here. I welcome any comment, educational tip, or just plan argument by any forum member, especially British members. Thanks.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3785/9092428308_86e2ed1d32_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/palenquero/9092​428308/  (external link)
IMG_0468 (external link) by Palenquero (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2880/9092418686_f506660b66_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/palenquero/9092​418686/  (external link)
IMG_0205 (external link) by Palenquero (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7296/9092439790_7454f96c58_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/palenquero/9092​439790/  (external link)
IMG_0518 (external link) by Palenquero (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2813/9092423150_0137d0b229_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/palenquero/9092​423150/  (external link)
IMG_0772 (external link) by Palenquero (external link), on Flickr

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

sponsored links
AmberValetta
65 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 21, 2013 03:11 |  #2

The US is an anomaly!

We drive on the right side of the road like the brits lol. Albeit great pictures!

They were with the rokinon 14mm? Did you just zone-focus around the street?

Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 21, 2013 03:17 as a reply to  @ AmberValetta's post |  #3

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7325/9097470431_826d60e80c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/palenquero/9097​470431/  (external link)
Borough Market in London (external link) by Palenquero (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://l6.yimg.com/so/7392/9097464439_8bca7dd108_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/palenquero/9097​464439/  (external link)
London Bridge (external link) by Palenquero (external link), on Flickr

The photos before were taken with the Rokinon (the widest ones) (I set the focus on 1 meter, set my ISO at 400, and tried the shutter speed by trial and error. The other photos were taken with the 24-135/4.

The photos in this post were taken with the Sigma 35/1.4. THanks for the comment.

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,143 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 21, 2013 04:12 |  #4

looks like the weather hasn't improved since last I was there... my mum & dad had the good sense to emigrate to N.Z. in 1964, mind you the weather here hasn't been all that flash lately either.

And the Brits don't drive on the wrong side, they just don't drive on the right side... :-;

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Klystron
Goldmember
2,786 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 21, 2013 04:35 |  #5

This is Tower bridge not London Bridge ! This mistake is common ;)
It has been a bit murky this week.
I like the one of the fountian in Trafalgar square, was that with the Samyang 14mm and fully open ?

Sony A9, A7R II, Sony A7 III, A5000
zenfolio (external link) - flickr (external link) - 500px (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 21, 2013 05:20 |  #6

AmberValetta wrote in post #16050718 (external link)
The US is an anomaly!

We drive on the right side of the road like the brits lol. Albeit great pictures!

Hmm, 80-90% of Europe think otherwise :). (64 million people in the UK and over 400 million in the rest of the EU alone)
What makes the "drive on the left" so stupid in the UK is that the rest of Europe (the countries on the very doorstep) all drive on the right.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 21, 2013 05:21 |  #7

joeseph wrote in post #16050772 (external link)
looks like the weather hasn't improved since last I was there... my mum & dad had the good sense to emigrate to N.Z. in 1964, mind you the weather here hasn't been all that flash lately either.

And the Brits don't drive on the wrong side, they just don't drive on the right side... :-;

The weather in the UK this year is mad and miserable...
Winter was autumn or even summer like, then spring broth snow and frost while summer so far is grey...

UKseagull
649 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 21, 2013 05:38 as a reply to  @ DetlevCM's post |  #8

It's to do with history. I can't confirm that this link is 100% correct, but it might be. ;)

http://www.2pass.co.uk​/goodluck.htm#.UcQsEZw​RQY0 (external link)

flickr (external link)
http://www.aveyardphot​ography.co.uk/ (external link)
https://twitter.com/Th​eAndyA (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 21, 2013 05:41 |  #9

UKseagull wrote in post #16050880 (external link)
It's to do with history. I can't confirm that this link is 100% correct, but it might be. ;)

http://www.2pass.co.uk​/goodluck.htm#.UcQsEZw​RQY0 (external link)

The argument I know is that coaches travelled on the left while ships travelled on the right on waterways.
Europe was a mess of left and right hand side driving - but nowadays everybody drives on the right - except the UK....

Gary_Evans
859 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 21, 2013 15:22 |  #10

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #16050715 (external link)
......and no police on the streets.

None that you could see. You would be amazed at how many plain clothes police are on the streets of London at anyone single moment.

I always thought that we drove on the left because carriage drivers sat on the right hand side when driving horses.

Gary
www.myeventphoto.co.uk (external link)
www.garyevansphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,494 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 21, 2013 15:34 |  #11

AmberValetta wrote in post #16050718 (external link)
The US is an anomaly!

Just because y'all inherited the same deficiency....:D

Seriously, though; I had a hell of a time getting down checking the opposite direction before crossing the street while we were there. Loved the city, though, and definitely look forward to going back.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 21, 2013 18:37 |  #12

The Brits treat Americans very well considering they gave us the music of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, among others and we gave them McDonalds and Burger King in return. Not a fair trade for sure.

Driving on the other side of the road was a little difficult at first but British motorists are great, they were giving me middle finger salutes to tell me how well I was doing.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

Kim ­ F
57 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 22, 2013 02:05 as a reply to  @ breal101's post |  #13

Most of Asia including India drive on left. China drives on the right.

AmberValetta
65 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 22, 2013 02:09 |  #14

And trains derail in this thread. :p

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 22, 2013 07:57 |  #15

At the restaurants, bars, or pubs, one has two choices: Take it away (take out) or Waiter Service (dine in). The difference in price is relatively insignificant (4-12% added?). However, if you buy something to take away, you cannot sit in the outside (or inside) chairs. We bought some gelato to take out and on our way out, we saw empty tables and sat for few one minute (easy to get tired of walking in London). A minute later, a waiter came and tolds us that we must leave, "we need the tables" (he was going to seat a party of four, there were about 20 empty tables, but he chose the one we were using to sit the party of four.

When at Canterbury, we went into a pastry store and ordered a coffee (take away or dine in?) to take away (we were walking and not tired yet). However, right after the over the counter helper was done and we were ready to pay, we decided to sit for a minute. Immediately the waiter told us that she will help us on the table. We sat, and four minutes later, the waiter came and asked us: "What would you like to order?". We felt in Bizzarro world, this is the same waiter that saw everything inside and told us that she will help us outside. I was thinking that she was going to bring the order (already served by the other attendant). Instead, she acted as if she saw us for the first time. We did not like it (or were really surprised) and left. The gelato incident happened the following day.

Yes, we do have two tier pricing at most fast food establishments. However, if you opt for the lower "take out" price then proceed to "eat in" by using a table, you shouldn't be surprised if they ask you not to. If you want a table, they expect you to pay the "eat in" price.

The Canterbury experience does sound bizarre though.

The other thing that impacted me is: British drive in the wrong side of the road, and they are proud of it. Instead of changing their ways to adopt to the rest of the world (yes, London is also full with people from the rest of the world), they maintain their anomality ( :smile: ) Although I did know this, it has been a real exprience almost being hit by car and byciclists (hundreds of them). Another thing: NO J-Walking tickes and no police on the streets. That is a good one.

No, we drive on the correct side and see no reason to change just because all our neighbours decided to swap from the left to the right. Doing so costs an incredible amount of money adjusting infrastructure, and we Brits are all perfectly happy driving on the left. We see no point in changing to please foreigners. The same goes for our currency, whilst most of Europe may have thrown in with a single currency, we have no intentions of dropping Sterling and adopting the Euro as well. The British people are independent and like to do things the traditional way, not just changing things on the whim of some Eurocrat.

Having spent holidays (vacations) in Europe, I can say that I have had no problems adjusting to temporarily driving on the right (wrong) side of the road and see no need for all countries to be the same, so long as you know the local rules of the road and stick to them, wherever you are.

Yes, there are no jaywalking laws here, for which I am grateful. There are police around, but they are mostly driving around (or parked) in cars, which are often unmarked. London (indeed all towns and cities) have CCTV cover and there is no need for a copper to be physically watching an area. The control room will spot trouble brewing and can direct cars there very quickly.

I'm glad you are enjoying our little country, and people are treating you well (apart from moving you on for not paying for a table ;)). Are you here for long, and planning to travel around?

sponsored links

3,390 views & 0 likes for this thread
Traveling in London, my first impressions!!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.