Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Jun 2013 (Saturday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First real kids portrait shoot

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 22, 2013 13:53 |  #1

I am looking for some C&C on the first shoot I have done with a specific subject. Granted, this is my daughter, but I treated it as much like a portrait shoot as I could.

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2852/9108477509_da9c2595c3_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mattpharmd/9108​477509/  (external link)
IMG_3743-2 (external link) by MattPharmD (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7378/9110700558_f191282c0d_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mattpharmd/9110​700558/  (external link)
IMG_3683 (external link) by MattPharmD (external link), on Flickr

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links
yeeitsmarc
118 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 22, 2013 16:05 |  #2

Good job with these – especially since she's a child...was it hard to get her to stay still?

#1) I like this shot. Her eyes tell the whole story of the photograph. However, be careful of your composition and what you inevitably cut off in the picture. Like in this one, her wrist is captured at a weird place. I've used this as a guide to help me with my composition sometimes, Portrait Guide (external link). But again, this is my own personal opinion and how I take portraits.

#2) Good, playful picture. It looks to be underexposed on my screen. Try bumping up the brightness using the tone curve (if you're on LR) or thru other means. Also try and bump up the highlights just a tad and reduce the red tones to make the red in her cheeks a little less rosy. Also, if you notice above her head, there's what I like to call dead space – for this you can try cropping in a little tighter to get a nice headshot.

Good work so far!

5D Mark II | YN-560 III | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4L
www.marcgalera.com (external link)
Feedback

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 22, 2013 16:43 |  #3

I'd recommend getting down to her level (first shot) instead of shooting down toward her. You captured the shooting angle well in the second shot.

I also like how you have her away from the background in the second shot -- this provides a natural separation because your daughter can be in focus and the background can be out of focus. In the first, there's very little separation...and some of the background rocks are in focus.

The white balance changes between the photos. In the second, her cheeks seem a bit redder than the first shot. Did you use automatic white balance (AWB) or use a fixed setting?

Enjoy the photo ops with your daughter now. At some point she will turn 13 and run when she hears the zipper on your camera bag. Luckily, at the age of 16, my daughter decided that it was OK to be a model again.

Thanks for sharing!

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

MattPharmD
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 23, 2013 23:46 |  #4

Thanks for the input on both of these. I am going to try a re-edit. She is actually a little bit of a ham when my camera comes out. I shot from above her on the first one because I loved the spot (steps of the original town courthouse), but the background wasn't great. The dead space on the second one is actually there because I planned this for an 8x10, but this is the 8x12 crop.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Hawk's ­ Feather
308 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 24, 2013 17:56 |  #5

I really like the first image as shot from above. (That is just something I like, but can be overdone.) I would have liked to have had it shot in portrait format rather than landscape so that her hands would have been included.

The second image looks tack sharp on her flowered dress, but her face is soft. Either that or everything about her was jumping except for her dress. :)

A very cute subject and if she likes the camera then keep shooting.

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

spanishfly35
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 24, 2013 19:56 |  #6

I really like the expression on the second shot. Nice subtle background, makes your subject pop.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 25, 2013 14:53 |  #7

Honestly, I don't like the backgrounds in either shot.

In the first, the concrete doesn't feel like it should be in a toddler portrait, and the seams cut right through her.

In the second, again, I feel the bricks don't belong, and the wood on the left side is somewhat distracting.

I'd reshoot these in a park or some other setting, or try and get no discernible background at all. Sorry for the negativity, but (IMO) the background is as important as the subject when composing.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links

1,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
First real kids portrait shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.