Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Get the best out of rechargable batteries

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 23, 2013 10:54 |  #1

Hi i just bought a charger that charges aa and aaa batteries along with some Eneloop AA batteries that mean to be the best to get.

What are some of the tips to make batteries last longer?

i previously had some energizer ones and they were pretty much paper weight after only a years use if less.

any tips?

What is descharge mode on my charger? apparantly it has a descharge mode i can use? What for?

any tips on how to charge batteries etc?

Thanks

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Naito
171 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 23, 2013 11:29 |  #2

Keep them cool. Heat is the enemy of electronics, batteries are no exception.
Use the slow charge mode if you have one, "conditioning" is generally unnecessary for NIMH batteries like the eneloops. Better to charge batteries slowly overnight than quickly in a 30min emergency.

Carl
EOS 40D | 6D

40mm f/2.8 STM | 50mm f/1.8 II | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 100mm f2.8 Macro | Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC | Opteka 500mm f/6.3 Mirror
Metz 50-AF1 | Yongnuo YN-622C

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 23, 2013 13:18 as a reply to  @ Naito's post |  #3

the discharge mode on your charger will help to improve their life.

Nicad, Nimh and Low Self Discharge batteries can benefit from being fully discharged and recharged occasionally (i try and do it once a month, or every 5 charge cycles, whichever is longer)

also - dont run you batteries till they will no longer power the flash, change them out when you notice the recycle rate in your flash has slowed, overdischarging the batteries is one of the worst things you can do to them (your charger will discharge them to a safe level)
dont leave them flat in the bottom of your bag either, recharge them as soon as practical (a day or two is fine, a month will kill them

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,872 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 23, 2013 13:45 |  #4

From greenbatteries.com

"When you intentionally discharge a battery down to a certain minimum voltage and then recharge it this is known as battery conditioning or reconditioning . It is also sometimes referred to as battery exercise. This is particularly important to reduce what some call the memory effect experienced using NiCD batteries if you habitually do not fully discharge them each time you use them. For NiCD batteries this must be done periodically, approximately every 10 charge/discharge cycles or so, or the batteries will begin to lose capacity. For NiMH batteries conditioning is not really needed to reduce any memory effect because that is negligible in this type of battery. However, reconditioning is very convenient for both NiMH and NiCD batteries because brand new batteries are not charged when you receive them and they must be charged and discharged three to five times before they reach their full capacity. "

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
41,872 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 23, 2013 14:10 |  #5

NiMH should be charged in simple chargers at C/10 or below (10% of the rated capacity per hour).
If a temperature monitor is used NiMH batteries can be charged at rates up to 1C (in other words 100% of the battery capacity in amp-hours for 1.5 hours).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 23, 2013 23:50 |  #6

Wilt, interesting comment re the 1C. I've read elsewhere (lots of elsewheres) that others use the 0.5 charge and 0.25 discharge rates, ie 1/2 of rated capacity for charge rate and 1/4 for discharge. For Eneloops (AA's) that would equate to 1000 mA charge, 500 mA discharge. I'm trying to confirm with Sanyo re their Eneloops, but their own chargers do so at much lower rates, ie 250-300 mAh, for AA's. Further, I understand that slowest charge rates (ie 0.1C), often touted as best/safest, are suggested by some to run the risk of overshooting their rated capacity as the slow rate doesn't trigger the "shut off" mechnaism. I also think that some of the advice given by users might be predicated on technology for NiCd or even standard NiMH and not necessarily applicable for LSD NiMH (Eneloops et al). Thoughts?

jonneymendoza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 24, 2013 00:58 |  #7

This is the charger i purchased.

http://www.maplin.co.u​k …r-with-lcd-display-105064 (external link)

any good

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Naito
171 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 24, 2013 07:22 |  #8

jonneymendoza wrote in post #16059157 (external link)
This is the charger i purchased.

http://www.maplin.co.u​k …r-with-lcd-display-105064 (external link)

any good

As has been said here, fast charging is the WORST thing you can do to nimh batteries. It significantly shortens their life by overheating.

Carl
EOS 40D | 6D

40mm f/2.8 STM | 50mm f/1.8 II | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 100mm f2.8 Macro | Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC | Opteka 500mm f/6.3 Mirror

Wilt
41,872 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 24, 2013 10:48 |  #9

Russ61 wrote in post #16059079 (external link)
Wilt, interesting comment re the 1C. I've read elsewhere (lots of elsewheres) that others use the 0.5 charge and 0.25 discharge rates, ie 1/2 of rated capacity for charge rate and 1/4 for discharge. For Eneloops (AA's) that would equate to 1000 mA charge, 500 mA discharge. I'm trying to confirm with Sanyo re their Eneloops, but their own chargers do so at much lower rates, ie 250-300 mAh, for AA's. Further, I understand that slowest charge rates (ie 0.1C), often touted as best/safest, are suggested by some to run the risk of overshooting their rated capacity as the slow rate doesn't trigger the "shut off" mechnaism. I also think that some of the advice given by users might be predicated on technology for NiCd or even standard NiMH and not necessarily applicable for LSD NiMH (Eneloops et al). Thoughts?

The information which I previously posted was a simplification of what is very complex 'best practice' charging and monitoring of state of charge completion. For example, the c/10 chargers can overcharge batteries if they are only slightly discharged. The information was excerpted from

http://www.powerstream​.com/NiMH.htm (external link)

Panasonic also lists 1C for rapid charge rate
http://www.panasonic.c​om …ic_NiMH_ChargeM​ethods.pdf (external link)

Refill
177 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 24, 2013 11:08 |  #10

Many chargers just test if the batteries are fully charged. If not, they do a full charging cycle, not adjusting to the real discharge level. So if your NiMH batteries are 10% or 80% charged, they will just get the same full load (and overload). Use the discharge function with your NiMH batteries, at least if they don't overheat during discharge, because I think overheating is one of the reason it is better not to overcharge!

LiPos are different, I believe it's better not to fully discharge them. You can also charge them at 40% and put them in the fridge (seriously) if you don't use them for a long time.

jonneymendoza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 24, 2013 16:12 |  #11

Naito wrote in post #16059615 (external link)
As has been said here, fast charging is the WORST thing you can do to nimh batteries. It significantly shortens their life by overheating.

well its too late for now as thats the one i can use

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 24, 2013 16:54 |  #12

Russ61 wrote in post #16059079 (external link)
Further, I understand that slowest charge rates (ie 0.1C), often touted as best/safest, are suggested by some to run the risk of overshooting their rated capacity as the slow rate doesn't trigger the "shut off" mechnaism.

That is the main goal with 0.1C - the temperature is so low that the batteries doesn't get hurt by dumb chargers that typically take 14 hours timer-controlled with zero other sensors. No voltage or temp sensor needed.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Naito
171 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 24, 2013 18:06 |  #13

jonneymendoza wrote in post #16061083 (external link)
well its too late for now as thats the one i can use

Then don't be surprised if your new batteries also die within a year :lol:

Carl
EOS 40D | 6D

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 24, 2013 22:23 |  #14

You can get the best charger available (see here (external link)) but you've already done the most important thing: getting eneloops. They rarely die, even after years of solid abuse.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2013 00:21 |  #15

ElectronGuru wrote in post #16061991 (external link)
You can get the best charger available (see here (external link)) but you've already done the most important thing: getting eneloops. They rarely die, even after years of solid abuse.

Hi ElectronGuru !

Didnt realise you were a member here too (im also a member on CPF)
I suppose it shouldnt be surprising with the nice product pics on your site, that you would have an intrest in photography

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

sponsored links

3,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
Get the best out of rechargable batteries
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.