Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Jun 2013 (Monday) 09:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are these good enough for pet photography?

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2013 09:45 |  #1

would like some feedback if these are decent enough for me to branch out and go into pet photography business.

Any feedback/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links
alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2013 09:46 |  #2

and another picture of my spoiled Chihuahua

HOSTED PHOTO

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2013 10:29 |  #3

anyone?

philodelphi
Goldmember
1,209 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 24, 2013 10:30 |  #4

I find the lighting a bit harsh for the turtle, I think the light should be warmer and more diffuse. But the dog pics are awesome!

Sony DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA FE 24mm f/1.4 GM | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 24, 2013 11:40 |  #5

Hi. I agree about the tortoise lighting. The cut-out on the first dog pic is a bit clumsy, but the 2nd is super. Only crit is not getting the nose AND the eye in focus. In that sort of close up, a smaller aperture might be better. Like the focus on the eyes, but not keen on the blurred nose, and I guess on different breeds of dog this is a bit tricky to get rightl

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,675 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 24, 2013 11:44 |  #6

The dog photos are, the turtle isnt. But you have to be able to deliver every time you go out when you start offering your services as a pro.

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2013 12:01 |  #7

ok thanks everyone

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2013 12:13 |  #8

Hannya wrote in post #16060296 (external link)
Hi.The cut-out on the first dog pic is a bit clumsy,

There was no cutout on picture nor any processing done in Photoshop nor in Lightroom. That's how dog's paws were on white fabric that I've used.
It does look like a cutout maybe because when I saved an image for the web I used very low quality so the shadows turned into "cutout".

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2013 12:42 as a reply to  @ alexdesign's post |  #9

The tortoise needs more DOF, it would look better all sharp against a blurred background.

The dog pics are nice, but need the nose to be within the DOF. Focus on the eyes is pretty good, but in each pic one eye is slightly soft. Again more DOF is needed to get the whole face (eyes to nose) acceptable.

Shallow DOF is great for arty photographs in general, but when people are paying for pictures of their pet, they want more than just one eye in sharp focus.

Also, it would be hard to judge if you are ready to go into the pet photography business from just these shots, even if they were perfect. You have two very easy subjects there. A tortoise is hardly the most challenging pet to photograph, and the dog is yours, so used to you and probably having a camera pointed at it. You also chose a moment when the dog was at rest, again, being your dog, you can watch the dog all day until it is suitably tired, then take your shots.

Consider that, as a pet photographer, you will be dealing with animals that don't know you and are not always going to have seen a camera before. You may have to deal with a dog that doesn't like you, or the camera, and isn't going to just sit still for you and co-operate. Some owners are going to request pics of their pets running and jumping, catching frisbees, chasing balls etc., much more challenging than having them simply lying on a cushion.

Throw in the time factor, and that you may only have a short slot to get the shots in, and you are going to need to be able to nail the shots very quickly. You won't have time to keep trying and trying until you get the shot. You need to get out there and do some trial runs with dogs you have never met before, running and jumping around. You will need a diverse portfolio to advertise your service anyway, so get out there and practice on as many animals you can find. If you can get high quality shots of every single one, in a short space of time, then you are ready.

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2013 13:12 |  #10

ok thanks Sandpiper. Very valuable feedback.

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 24, 2013 14:58 |  #11

alexdesign wrote in post #16060387 (external link)
There was no cutout on picture nor any processing done in Photoshop nor in Lightroom. That's how dog's paws were on white fabric that I've used.
It does look like a cutout maybe because when I saved an image for the web I used very low quality so the shadows turned into "cutout".

Ah, that explains it, and now I look again I can see that! Is one cute doggie :-)

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 24, 2013 17:37 |  #12

Close down your lens. Sharp eyes on the dog, but I feel the nose should be in focus as well. Too thin DOF.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D│M50
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 24, 2013 20:59 |  #13

This is my favorite pet photographer.
http://dogbreathphoto.​com …otography-client-viewing/ (external link)

Not that I am an expert in this area, but I really like her work.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 25, 2013 08:56 |  #14

Thanks everyone.

Heath, those are kick a.. photographs. Don't need to be an expert to see someone else's great work. I love it too. Thanks for sharing!

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 25, 2013 09:12 |  #15

https://www.facebook.c​om …8681435083&type​=1&theater (external link)

This picture looks like soft nose and sharp eyes but great picture still

sponsored links

1,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are these good enough for pet photography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.