Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Jun 2013 (Tuesday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking Tripods on Vacation

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 25, 2013 02:19 |  #1

Hi Everyone!

Looking for some advice re: bringing a tripod on my vacation to Hawaii later this year. I'm currently thinking of bringing my Canon 60D, 17-55, 430EX II, along with a few other accessories (e.g. circular polarizer).

I'm not sure what to do re: the tripod, however. I currently own the Gitzo GT2542LS (http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Ser_2_Systemat​ic_4S.html (external link)), but am wondering if it's too heavy and/or inconvenient to carry on this vacation. Do you guys usually carry a "normal" sized tripod while on vacation, or really only use travel tripods? The budget just isn't there for a high quality CF travel tripod right now, so I'm wondering what your experiences are.

I'm also considering getting into the Lee Filter System, and was wondering if anyone used these handheld (i.e. on the camera but without a tripod).

Thanks in advance!
Xeo

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 25, 2013 06:59 |  #2

Just back from Europe with my Benro travel tripod and a Sony NEX-7 camera. I took the rig everywhere even when out of the car. Last trip I took my Gitzo 3541LS systematic and Fuji S5 DSLR and being lazy on that trip didn't take the Gitzo too far from the car, and that really was the difference. I think I would probably carry a Gitzo 2-series though, although your tripod weighs nearly 4 lbs, my systematic weighs 3.8 lbs - almost as heavy. I think a contributing factor is the camera equipment, as a film rangefinder user I've never really liked DSLRs and their huge lenses, and the Sony NEX with Leica lenses is a huge improvement in the weight department.

I made the decision to get an "overkill" tripod and a travel tripod years ago, I could have got something like a Gitzo 2-series and have since thought about selling both and getting something like an "in-betweener" but I like the Gitzo systematic so much it didn't make sense and anyway I need it for my heaviest camera.

So for me it's a travel tripod all the way, I'm well into my 3rd year of use with the Benro and eventually sold my Gitzo traveler because I like the Benro better. They don't cost a fortune either.

~Peter

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 25, 2013 07:10 |  #3

i dont typically travel with my tripod (2 series gitzo). I have been considering picking up a small benro or sirui so that it would be easier to pack and travel with.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,196 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 25, 2013 08:19 |  #4

If I'm on vacation/holiday I take a micro 4/3rds Lumix GF-3, 14-42 and a 20mm f/1.7 prime and leave the 5DIII DSLR etc. at home. I don't want to lug a load of expensive gear, or a tripod around with me.

If it's a specific photo trip then that's a different matter...

If you wanted to take your 60D/17-55 combo, then personally I'd certainly not bother with a tripod. You can always buy one of those little gorilla pods (or whatever they are called) for an occasional shot if required, resting it on a wall or table etc.

Kev

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 25, 2013 09:47 |  #5

I just spent a small fortune on a RRS tripod/head and a monopod/head combinations. I don't mind carrying the tripod around at all when I can drive to the location and walk from there. I don't want to take it on a plane, however.

We're heading out to Las Vegas for a few days. Well, I'm joining my wife for 4 days after her sales convention is over. I'm just taking my monopod because it will be lighter and fit into my checked luggage with no issues.

Eventually, I might get a travel setup but I have to recover from the RRS purchases first. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

kforde
220 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 25, 2013 10:17 |  #6

Everytime I have not brought my tripod (either my old clunky heavy or my shiny new CF) I regret it. This includes when I leave it in the hotel. For my last few trips I have resolved to just dealing with it, even out for dinner, there is really no point in having the gear if we aren't willing to play with it now is there. Find a way to bring it, find a way to use it, you won't regret it.

As for the Lee filters I have used them by hand, but it is considerably more difficult to compose effectively. Just my experience.

Enjoy the trip, I am currently in a hotel in Shanghai after an evening walk along the Bund taking long exposure shots with the tripod I made a priority to pack...and like I said, I don't regret it!

Kf

Kf
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs" - Ansel Adams

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,618 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 25, 2013 10:23 |  #7

pdrober2 wrote in post #16062770 (external link)
i dont typically travel with my tripod (2 series gitzo). I have been considering picking up a small benro or sirui so that it would be easier to pack and travel with.

I have a gitzo 2541 and I picked up a benro mefoto that has a built in monopod for some trips. It's small light and pretty good.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 25, 2013 12:41 |  #8

If I'm traveling by car, i usually bring my GT3541 since size and weight are not a problem.
If I'm flying someplace where I'm bringing my larger lenses, like when I go out to Vancouver
Island to do some birding, I will bring it as well. But if I'm flying to someplace like Europe
or Mexico and plan on walking around a lot, taking holiday photos, I bring a smaller GT1541T
travel tripod, to help reduce the weight I'm carrying around.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 25, 2013 14:31 |  #9

Another idea if you're on the fence about bringing a tripod at all...

I sewed an 8" square rice bag out of some old jeans, and I'm finding I really like for this purpose. Set it on a table, fence post, ground, car hood, whatever, and it will hold everything from my son's Coolpix to my 1D3+70-200 f/2.8L, and I can support the camera in any direction. One note though: TSA in one airport pulled me aside to take a look since it showed up as organic in the scan. I might start sending it through on its own to speed things up.

If you want to fly really light with one of these, sew a zipper into it, fly empty, and buy rice or dry beans when you arrive.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,872 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 25, 2013 15:06 |  #10

waterrockets wrote in post #16064031 (external link)
I sewed an 8" square rice bag out of some old jeans, and I'm finding I really like for this purpose. ...One note though: TSA in one airport pulled me aside to take a look since it showed up as organic in the scan. I might start sending it through on its own to speed things up.

If you want to fly really light with one of these, sew a zipper into it, fly empty, and buy rice or dry beans when you arrive.

You can also reduce the inspection time simply by using two transparent zip closure plastic bags (double bag for leak prevention)...if carried filled, you can put dry beans into it with minimal impact on travel weight, and the TSA can readily see it's a bag of beans. It can be an issue when travelling to/from locales which are diligent about transporting foodstuffs and pests.

Or you can carry it empty and buy beans at your destination, and save yourself the trouble of playing seamstress to add a zipper to a cloth bag.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 25, 2013 15:17 |  #11

Good point. I like the cotton better for a bit higher friction with the camera though.

That said, I dropped the bean bag in a ziplock to shoot individual swimming action shots last month, to keep the bag dry. It was just supporting the lens though, not left on its own. You can see how wet I was getting from the butterfly swimmers.

IMAGE: http://waterrockets.smugmug.com/Sports/Swimming/Seals-Action-Photos-2013/i-RZ3dZTw/0/XL/IMG_7861-XL.jpg

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,872 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 25, 2013 15:23 |  #12

waterrockets wrote in post #16064177 (external link)
Good point. I like the cotton better for a bit higher friction with the camera though.

One can simply drop the ziplock bag into a cloth outer bag at your destination.

• A Crown Royal bag is nice, if you want to present the appearance of a well-to-do lush.
  • Or you can use the socks that airlines give you in business class,
  • or you can use those cloth bags that you can buy at the travel supply place, for putting your shoes into the luggage without soiling your clothing from the shoes.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 25, 2013 15:34 |  #13

lol :) good ideas

point being, of course, that a bean bag is a handy support accessory

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 25, 2013 15:56 |  #14

The weight of a full-size tripod doesn't bother me at all, but the bulk/length does...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Denny ­ G
Goldmember
1,870 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 25, 2013 16:49 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #15

I know it's a vacation. So take those tourist type snapshots.

But it's Hawaii with 100's of once in a lifetime photo ops. Take some time during your vacation to do some serious photography. Find a way to take a tripod or buy a cheap one there (Walmart).

sponsored links

6,750 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taking Tripods on Vacation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.