Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Debating w/ 5DmkII or 5DmkIII...

ChrisAdval
214 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 26, 2013 15:43 |  #1

I would love the mkIII and would get that now, but just the cost right now I would prefer getting the 5DMkii with a new or used L lens if I had the amount of cash to get a new 5Dmkiii, or simply jump ship into full frame with the 5Dmkii sooner than later with my current lens lineup. What would you guys recommend I do? The extra focus points in the 5dmkiii would be great, but I just dont see it much use for my goals and business plans to working in certain local photography markets (i.e. industrial, food, product, portraits, basically little motion to still photography). So, focus points on the 5dmkii should be fine for me at this point, just only difference I see is better quality ISO and more accurate focus that could help me for what I need to do, correct?

All past and recent works on my Flickr (external link). If you're interested in checking out prints for sell of my work go here (external link). *Website (external link)*

sponsored links
Elusivesouls
88 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 26, 2013 15:46 |  #2

Personally, I think if you got the 5DM2 you will always end up wishing you got the 5DM3. I'm sure others will chime in and agree that the 5DM3 is a significant upgrade in a lot of ways. The 5DM2 will take fantastic pictures, but you'll always be working towards getting the upgrade.

Save yourself some anxiety and if it's honestly an option between the two, go with the best and only buy once.

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 26, 2013 17:26 |  #3

Does depend on what you want to photograph. The AF on the Mark III is far superior. Many people have taken great action shots with the Mark II, but action is definitely better with the III.

I have both ..... tend to use the II for landscapes, studio, etc, and the III for anything that moves a lot, and lower light situations.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,038 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 26, 2013 17:31 |  #4

Is the 6d not in the mix? Seems like it would still do the job and has newer tech like the mk iii

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,150 posts
Gallery: 271 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 26, 2013 17:44 |  #5

ChrisAdval wrote in post #16067444 (external link)
I would love the mkIII and would get that now, but just the cost right now I would prefer getting the 5DMkii with a new or used L lens if I had the amount of cash to get a new 5Dmkiii, or simply jump ship into full frame with the 5Dmkii sooner than later with my current lens lineup. What would you guys recommend I do? The extra focus points in the 5dmkiii would be great, but I just dont see it much use for my goals and business plans to working in certain local photography markets (i.e. industrial, food, product, portraits, basically little motion to still photography). So, focus points on the 5dmkii should be fine for me at this point, just only difference I see is better quality ISO and more accurate focus that could help me for what I need to do, correct?

had a look at your flickr site and going on the photos in there (which are all great by the way) Id get the 5D2 and go for it. Its a superb camera as long as you are not shooting action, I've used mine without issue with focus at weddings and that's when people are on the go, as long as you use the centre focus point and recompose its fine, actually the centre point is very good. Ultimately the mark 3 will be a better camera but that does not make the mark 2 a bad one. I personally wont change to 6D because I like the wheel on the back of 5D2 and the weight of the body seems right for me. When I get around to upgrading the mark 2 it will be for the mark 3 or 4

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,008 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 26, 2013 17:50 |  #6

I just received the 5D3, and if I had my old 5D2s still with me, it would be almost no contest on keeping the 5D3 over the 5D2. The amount of configuration and options taken from the 7D, and then going beyond that yet again with multiexposure, HDR, better in-camera raw editing, all the AF points and AF modes like spot AF, etc. the 5D3, at face value, is much better. Also the in-camera JPG engine is much better than the 5D2, which means you might have little to no post processing right from the camera, vs taking a raw from the 5D2 and running it through conversion and processing in software tools.

This is just my take thus far after a couple of hours playing with it.

I have the same feeling with the 5D3 that I did when the 7D came out, being such an upgrade over the prior xxD models, while also getting some 1D functionality. The 5D3 feels like that again, but in a FF body, better overall everything with 1D functionality, with major upgrades over the prior 2 5D models. I only need about 1-2 hours with a body to know whether its a keeper for me, or if it is just a warmed over prior model. :)

I now need to dig my eye-fi card out of the closet, update its firmware, and load up the android eye-fi app on my Nexus, and I should be able to send images to the tablet as I shoot. That is a task for later. :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,150 posts
Gallery: 271 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 26, 2013 17:59 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16067818 (external link)
I just received the 5D3, and if I had my old 5D2s still with me, it would be almost no contest on keeping the 5D3 over the 5D2. The amount of configuration and options taken from the 7D, and then going beyond that yet again with multiexposure, HDR, better in-camera raw editing, all the AF points and AF modes like spot AF, etc. the 5D3, at face value, is much better. Also the in-camera JPG engine is much better than the 5D2, which means you might have little to no post processing right from the camera, vs taking a raw from the 5D2 and running it through conversion and processing in software tools.

This is just my take thus far after a couple of hours playing with it.

I have the same feeling with the 5D3 that I did when the 7D came out, being such an upgrade over the prior xxD models, while also getting some 1D functionality. The 5D3 feels like that again, but in a FF body, better overall everything with 1D functionality, with major upgrades over the prior 2 5D models. I only need about 1-2 hours with a body to know whether its a keeper for me, or if it is just a warmed over prior model. :)

I now need to dig my eye-fi card out of the closet, update its firmware, and load up the android eye-fi app on my Nexus, and I should be able to send images to the tablet as I shoot. That is a task for later. :D

is there much change from 5DII on 5DIII where all the buttons etc are, that's what I find most annoying about moving from one camera to another, is the setup similar to 7D?

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,008 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 26, 2013 18:02 |  #8

Yes, the buttons are all different enough to really confuse me over the 7D and 5D2. Zooming has its own button now, you don't use the AF points button and * button to zoom in and out, etc. You now have a rating button, and the Q button is moved too. It is not so difficult as to be a poor design, it will take a day or 2 to get used to it. But I keep my 7D, it will be confusing to move between them. I don't remember my 5D2s, but it would have to be different from that even as the 7D was different.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

LostArk
417 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 26, 2013 18:27 |  #9

If you're not shooting action, the 5D2 is fine. Having a whiz-bang AF module isn't going to magically improve your keeper rate. And if you need to shoot the occasional action shot, just use the center focus point and be happy. Get yourself a 5D2 and a sexy prime or two with the money you save over the 5D3. You will be happier.

www.unknoahble.com (external link)

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,797 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2013 18:32 |  #10

HaroldC3 wrote in post #16067780 (external link)
Is the 6d not in the mix? Seems like it would still do the job and has newer tech like the mk iii

Agreed.

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

stevensondrive
33 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 26, 2013 18:56 |  #11

HaroldC3 wrote in post #16067780 (external link)

+ 1

Canon 6D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L, 100L Macro, 50 1.8, 430EXii

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,073 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 26, 2013 19:31 |  #12

budget is a real issue for some people, and the 5D3 is twice as expensive as a second hand 5D2. IQ differences are incremental and small (it really takes a few generations for huge IQ changes). I'm sure I'de get the 5D3 eventually, but if budget were an issue, I'de stick with the 5D2. I dont find myself missing shots, even with my three kids.

What irks me more than anything, is the focus spread. I understand that the 5D3 is like the 7D on steroids, and while the AF of the 7D was really nice, I can easily make due with the 5D2, even in low light.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 26, 2013 19:38 |  #13

I think with what you shoot the cheaper 5DII or 6D and put the savings towards more glass.

aladyforty wrote in post #16067842 (external link)
is there much change from 5DII on 5DIII where all the buttons etc are, that's what I find most annoying about moving from one camera to another, is the setup similar to 7D?

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16067853 (external link)
Yes, the buttons are all different enough to really confuse me over the 7D and 5D2. Zooming has its own button now, you don't use the AF points button and * button to zoom in and out, etc. You now have a rating button, and the Q button is moved too. It is not so difficult as to be a poor design, it will take a day or 2 to get used to it. But I keep my 7D, it will be confusing to move between them. I don't remember my 5D2s, but it would have to be different from that even as the 7D was different.

The 7D and 5DIII have similar ergos that put you thumb more vertical, my 40D, 5DII(replaced by my 5DIII) and 1DIV all put you thumb at more of an angle. I quite often end up pushing the * instead of the AF-On when picking up the 1DIV after using the 5DIII, which is more bothersome than any of the other button/menu differences as it can cause me to miss a shot.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,008 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 26, 2013 20:26 |  #14

Here is a pic I threw together showing the difference in button placements and changes from the 7D to the 5D3.

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Electronics/Reference-Material/i-nvF9rQp/1/O/5d3vs7d.jpg

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 26, 2013 20:39 |  #15

At the end of the day you have to decide what you want to shoot. Ultimately that should tell you if you need the better ISO performance or an advanced AF system, or not. I shoot with a 5DII and have tried the 5DIII. Not doing a lot of action stuff though the AF system was not my main focus, it was the high ISO performance that would be why I'd upgrade. When I downloaded shots I had taken with the MkIII they did not make me sit up and say wow, I have to have one of these. So I have stuck with my mkII. I still think about upgrading from time to time, but love the mkII enough that I still have it. The MkII is still a great camera and would give you great images, you just have to switch off that little voice in your head that keeps telling you there is something better out there.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

sponsored links

4,571 views & 0 likes for this thread
Debating w/ 5DmkII or 5DmkIII...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.