Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 18:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D sensor cleaning kit

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 27, 2013 18:58 |  #1

I need to clean my Canon 60D sensor. I am confused when looking at sensor cleaning kits on Amazon.

What is the best DSLR sensor cleaning kit that I could buy from Amazon or BHPhoto for less than fifty bucks?

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 27, 2013 19:06 |  #2

viperbass wrote in post #16071105 (external link)
I need to clean my Canon 60D sensor. I am confused when looking at sensor cleaning kits on Amazon.

What is the best DSLR sensor cleaning kit that I could buy from Amazon or BHPhoto for less than fifty bucks?

Don't be surprised to see several suggestions for the Eclipse system. (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 28, 2013 05:13 |  #3

viperbass wrote in post #16071105 (external link)

I don't know the best but do a search for eclipse solution and pec pads/swabs - lot of packages for around $20

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 28, 2013 06:24 |  #4

I use the copper hill (external link) method, which, as mentioned a few times already, uses eclipse.

I would only add that with any cleaning system, patience is required. Watch the tutorials, take your time and a clean sensor will be achieved.

feedback

gear list

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 28, 2013 09:28 |  #5

If your camera's sensor has never been cleaned before, for the first cleaning you must do a "wet cleaning" such as the Copperhill Method (see the link Jeff provided). The reason you need to do a wet cleaning is that it's nearly certain that in addition to the dust specks, there will be some oil residues on the sensor. Those are common when a camera is new, are excess lubrication thrown off by the shutter or other mechanisms. If you try to do one of the dry cleaning techniques, you will smear the oil and contaminate whatever you are using to do the cleaning.

It is not uncommon for wet cleaning to leave behind a slight haze. Use a Sensor Pen to gently clean that off and give a final polishing to the sensor. This will help it stay clean longer. I believe Canon finishes up all the cleanings they do with a Sensor Pen as one of the final steps.

Also get a bulb blower (Rocket Blower, for example0, to puff away any loose particles that remain and to help you keep it clean in the future. It also is the only thing you should ever use on the focus screen and mirror. Avoid touching those with anything. If they ever need proper cleaning, you might want to put it in the hands of a pro. However, anything on the mirror or focus screen is merely a nuisance, it won't show up in your photos because during exposure the mirror is flipped up covering the focus screen (it's also flipped up during manual cleaning).

Before you attempt any cleaning, go to www.cleaningdigitalcam​eras.com (external link) and read every page carefully, to be sure you feel up to the task. The guys who put the page together are professional repair techs with many years experience and suppliers to the pro repair industry. They sell most of the items discussed.

Oh, and after the sensor is cleaned, you can minimize the need to clean by sticking to using reasonable lens apertures. In fact, on 60D (or any of the other 18MP APS-C cameras), an effect called diffraction begins to set in at apertures smaller than f7.1. Diffraction is an optical effect that increases as smaller apertures are used, and robs fine detail from images. You probably won't notice it at f8 and would have to look pretty hard for it at f11, but smaller than that and it increasingly costs you fine detail in your images. A side benefit of avoiding really small apertures is that even if there are some dust specks on your camera's sensor, they will be less pronounced or won't show up in your images at all.

I use 7D, which have "dust delete" that takes a blank image of the sensor and maps around any specks the camera finds there. Does 60D have that, too? If so, do you have it on? I have been pleasantly surprised how seldom I need to clean my 7Ds, and I shoot a lot in very dusty situations (and I change lenses when I need to, where ever that might be... not in a clean room)! This event was a little dustier than usual, but to give you some idea...

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2882/8982941014_5753fbfedd_z.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3710/8982944000_b8c02e65a4_z.jpg

My cleaning kit includes...
1. Copperhill kit:
- Eclipse fluid
- Pec pads
- adhesives to attach pads to cleaning wands
- two sizes of cleaning wands: FF and APS-C
2. "Dust Aid" cleaning kit
3. Sensor brush
4. Spec Grabber
5. Sensor Pen(s)
6. Bulb blower
7. Magnifying loupe, lighted.
8. LED "head light"
9. Micro vac (cheapie, doesn't work very well)
10. Lens cleaning supplies (brush, fluids, micro fiber cloths, Lens Pens)

You might already be aware, be sure your battery is fully charged before starting a cleaning, so that the shutter doesn't accidentally close down prematurely. A full charge should give you 15 minutes or more of cleaning time (depends upon battery size and number of batteries).

Never, ever use standard "canned air" or common cotton buds (Q-tips) inside a camera.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,350 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D sensor cleaning kit
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.