Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 28 Jun 2013 (Friday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paintball Photographers?

paintcheck
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 28, 2013 11:26 |  #1

Are there any other paintball photographers here? Just looking for some advice to help a n00b get started.. I did some shooting this weekend and it was so relaxing, which is why I dove in and bought my gear :o Thank goodness for no interest payments!

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

sponsored links
pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 01, 2013 10:12 |  #2

there are a few paintball photographers on here just search for paintball

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

Eclipse7x
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 03, 2013 23:41 |  #3

What would you like to know?

ishootnikon.

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 04, 2013 13:54 |  #4

Eclipse7x wrote in post #16089540 (external link)
What would you like to know?

How about everything :) ha!

Well for starters, I've seen several running around with this massive viewfinder/hood thing on the back of the cameras. I didn't get a chance to ask one of them at PSP Chicago about it, but I was wondering a) is it covering just the screen or b) is it magnifying the viewfinder?

Also what do you use for lense protection? Thinking of picking up one of the filters that some have suggested, just didnt know what else you all did.

Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

PBFeZ
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 05, 2013 16:28 |  #5

The hood thing (lcd screen hood) on the back was mainly the video guys from what I can tell. You'd have to ask them if they magnify or not.

For lens protection, I use the lens hood (HUGE! It has seriously stopped a couple strays that would've otherwise hit the front element) and a filter - not that a filter will stop a paintball from close all that well, but more for the splatter/dirt that inevitably gets on it.

Other than that, the best protection is your head. Know the field and where the lanes are, and avoid exposing yourself to them. Most of the shots I took at PSP weren't from a lane, but rather a bounce off the bunker when the (d4, usually lol) players snapped out. I wasn't hit a single time shooting the Challengers and D1 guys.

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 06, 2013 04:10 |  #6

PBFeZ wrote in post #16094512 (external link)
The hood thing (lcd screen hood) on the back was mainly the video guys from what I can tell. You'd have to ask them if they magnify or not.

For lens protection, I use the lens hood (HUGE! It has seriously stopped a couple strays that would've otherwise hit the front element) and a filter - not that a filter will stop a paintball from close all that well, but more for the splatter/dirt that inevitably gets on it.

Other than that, the best protection is your head. Know the field and where the lanes are, and avoid exposing yourself to them. Most of the shots I took at PSP weren't from a lane, but rather a bounce off the bunker when the (d4, usually lol) players snapped out. I wasn't hit a single time shooting the Challengers and D1 guys.

Thanks. Been looking at B&H for hoods and the filter. They seem to have decent pricing and customer service. Seems like they only have one style of hood for my lens :-/

good ole d4.. spray n pray!

Arson24
308 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 11, 2013 16:47 |  #7

hey there, paintball photographer from Vancouver.

I agree with PBFeZ, lens hood a must, I would also suggest looking at either HD(high density) UV filter I have one on my 70-200mm f4 non IS.

the View finder on the back is more for video but I have seen a few guys that use it for photos to cut the sun out. I have one and its 2x magnified.

Head band a must, I have I4's and they work great but check out the best mask for taking pics
Every one has their preference.

anything 1/250th to 1/500 will freeze your action (ie, paintball splatter, paintball leaving the barrel etc etc)

sorry for the ramble, at work so in between calls I was typing this.

if you need any more info ask away for PM me

7D-Gripped/70-200mm USM F4L/sigma 70-200mm F2.8/40mm STM "Pancake"/Canon 430ex II/
Match Strike Digital Productions (external link)
"Imagery Under Fire" (external link)

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 11, 2013 21:11 |  #8

Ive only been able to shoot a few times. That being said just keep in mind where your gear is in comparison to where the players are/and will be shooting.

Try shooting with the viewfinder / live view to see what is your best fit

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

Arson24
308 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 12, 2013 15:52 |  #9

madasax wrote in post #16112464 (external link)
Ive only been able to shoot a few times. That being said just keep in mind where your gear is in comparison to where the players are/and will be shooting.

Try shooting with the viewfinder / live view to see what is your best fit

Oh Hai there Adam!

7D-Gripped/70-200mm USM F4L/sigma 70-200mm F2.8/40mm STM "Pancake"/Canon 430ex II/
Match Strike Digital Productions (external link)
"Imagery Under Fire" (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 12, 2013 15:52 |  #10

Thanks Fella's.

sponsored links

1,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paintball Photographers?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.