Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 28 Jun 2013 (Friday) 15:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Transition Lenses (Spectacles)

Meanderer
312 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 28, 2013 15:29 |  #1

I have ordered new Glasses and have held the order over for the weekend until I can determine whether to proceed with "Transition" lenses or not.
It only occurred to me after I ordered, that the Transition feature might hinder me when using the viewfinder. I have to wear the glasses, even when using the viewfinder, as does it seem 90% of other photographers.
I've searched and searched the question, and there are mixed opinions and I'm tending NOT go for the transitions now. However, I've found some of the opinions are based on old technology of transitions "maybe".
I'm keen to hear some fresh opinions before making the final decision next Tuesday. Specs are ridiculously expensive these days :(

Rick.
G'day! I'm an Aussie with Permanent Residency in Canada. 60D | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 55-250mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 |Σ 70-200 EX DG OS |Σ 24-105 f4| Yongnuo 685 Flash | Yongnuo 560iii Flash | Yongnuo YN622C-TX Controller | pair Yongnuo RF-603C remote triggers
"It doesn't take me all day to do a day's work!"

sponsored links
Davinor
508 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 28, 2013 16:35 |  #2

I have no problem with them and the pro's of transitions lenses far outweighs the con's

David

A tidy desk is the sign of a sick individual
600D with Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC OS HSM,
Tamron 70-300 f4.5-5.6 Di VC USD
Sigma EF500 DG Super and some other bit and pieces

jjackflash
"I MISSED THE STRIPPERS"
626 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 28, 2013 16:38 |  #3

been using them for years with no problems

http://jjackflash.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 29, 2013 03:22 |  #4

Depends what you mean by 'transition' - varifocal or photo-sensitive? If the former, you quickly learn the little trick of the slight backward head tilt to bring the VF into focus at the lower periphery of the varifocal lenses. I live in Scotland, so have absolutely no need for a photo-sensitive prescription. :(

~ Wallace
Gear List

Meanderer
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 29, 2013 13:11 |  #5

xhack wrote in post #16075025 (external link)
Depends what you mean by 'transition' - varifocal or photo-sensitive? If the former, you quickly learn the little trick of the slight backward head tilt to bring the VF into focus at the lower periphery of the varifocal lenses. I live in Scotland, so have absolutely no need for a photo-sensitive prescription. :(

Thanks for the tip on tilting the head. I guess I'll find that out soon enough. I've have bi-focals for the past 20 years.
I used the term Transitions in reference to Colour Changing. My specs will be trifocal with the gradual changing zones rather than the lined type. They use the term "Transitions" to advertise the Colour Changing properties, whereas, 30 years ago, I had the same things but they were called "photo-chromatic". I never bought them again because I couldn't wear them playing tennis at night under lights. I'm having people tell me that they aren't effective when driving either :/

Rick.
G'day! I'm an Aussie with Permanent Residency in Canada. 60D | Canon 18-55mm IS | Canon 55-250mm IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 |Σ 70-200 EX DG OS |Σ 24-105 f4| Yongnuo 685 Flash | Yongnuo 560iii Flash | Yongnuo YN622C-TX Controller | pair Yongnuo RF-603C remote triggers
"It doesn't take me all day to do a day's work!"

Davinor
508 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 29, 2013 13:18 |  #6

some do, transitions extra active and drivewear. Drivewear however are more of a sunglasses lens as they are polarised and have a permanent light tint. they also darken slightly behind the windsreen. Really nice when driving.

A tidy desk is the sign of a sick individual
600D with Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC OS HSM,
Tamron 70-300 f4.5-5.6 Di VC USD
Sigma EF500 DG Super and some other bit and pieces

jjackflash
"I MISSED THE STRIPPERS"
626 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 29, 2013 13:19 |  #7

they are sensitive to UV light and sometimes turn darker in winter because of that......they never get super dark as some sunglasses i've had in the past but the get dark enough to take they edge off.....i love them.........if you drive a car where to front window has any kind of tint or treatment your glasses will not darken

http://jjackflash.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

CrazieCricket
Stupid wine.... *kicks box*
15,499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 30, 2013 02:04 as a reply to  @ jjackflash's post |  #8

I'm getting new glasses next week and I opted out of the transitions. I hate waiting for them to turn when you go indoors or out. I would much rather just slip on a pair of those sunglasses that go over your glasses. As to using them with a viewfinder... I haven't tried that yet. But I think it would make me crazy as well to have them tinted when looking through the viewfinder. I'll also be getting use to bifocals... should be interesting.:lol:

Paula

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jun 30, 2013 02:35 |  #9

I've worn Transitions or their predecessors for over 40 years....never had an issue with them in regards to photography. Modern UV tinting on cars does stop them from changing, so I carry a pair of clip-ons for driving....other than that....I more than happy with them.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

sponsored links

1,081 views & 0 likes for this thread
Transition Lenses (Spectacles)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.