Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 Jul 2013 (Monday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should I upgrade first for my first ever wedding shoot?

ready2go
663 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 01, 2013 21:05 |  #1

I have a wedding to shoot in about 3 months. What should I focus on upgrading first based on my current gear(see sig?) I'm torn between upgrading to ff(6D) to handle the high iso or a wide angle like the canon 10-22 or the 17-40L to cover wide group shots. Any advice is appreciated.

6D, 70D, Pancake lens, Nifty Fifty, Sigma 50 Art, Canon 135LL IS, YN560 III

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,737 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 01, 2013 21:10 |  #2

You'd want at least 2 cameras. What are you going to do if your 60D (or 6D) fails?

The 70-200 f4 IS may be too slow for indoor ceremonies. Depends on the light and shutter speeds you are getting.

30, 50, and 85 sounds fine, especially if you have 2 cameras. Having an ultra wide isn't mandatory IMHO.

You have 2 flashes, which is fine. Do you have a good handle on the YN-560 manual flashes?

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
663 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 01, 2013 21:23 |  #3

I never thought about it failing. Lol. My buddy is going to be my assistant and he has a Nikon D600 so I'll make sure he brings it. I have a decent grasp of the flashes.. Full manual only. I was hoping my 430EX would be good enough since I have yn622s. I also have a 600w studio strobe that I'm thinking of bringing to the reception hall and setting up. So I guess I should really consider upgrading to a 6D then, since I don't need the wide angle. I guess I'm also concerned that my sigma 30 won't be enough to capture big group shots.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,737 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 01, 2013 21:44 |  #4

ready2go wrote in post #16082464 (external link)
I never thought about it failing. Lol. My buddy is going to be my assistant and he has a Nikon D600 so I'll make sure he brings it. I have a decent grasp of the flashes.. Full manual only. I was hoping my 430EX would be good enough since I have yn622s. I also have a 600w studio strobe that I'm thinking of bringing to the reception hall and setting up. So I guess I should really consider upgrading to a 6D then, since I don't need the wide angle. I guess I'm also concerned that my sigma 30 won't be enough to capture big group shots.

So if your camera fails, then you'll be shooting your friend's Nikon gear? Are you comfortable with using Nikon cameras, lenses, and flashes?

If you upgrade to the 6D, is your widest lens going to be the 50? Not saying you can't shoot a wedding with 50mm as your widest, but probably not the most ideal situation to be in given this is your first ever wedding shoot. Just sayin'.

I'd say regardless of the 6D upgrade, rent another camera and possible a regular zoom (24-70L for example...or if the second camera is a cropper then something in the 17-5x range).

As for the studio strobe, you aren't going to need 600w. However, it's nice to have it plugged in as to not worry about battery power. Also, you'd be shooting it at extremely low power which will give you great recycle times.

But depending on the venue, you can get away with OCF speedlites as well.

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 02, 2013 01:44 |  #5

seems like you are concern with your wide angle. my experience is... when i was using the cropped body, i had a tokina 11-16 2.8 as its faster than those canon L. this lens can be used at 16mm on full frame which is a bonus. i only used it for less than 10 photos per wedding. then i notice i use more of the 24-70L which mainly ended up used at 24 wide end. now i ended up using the 24LII. i do have the 35L when i am using the 24-70L. now, i try to keep it at 24 as the wide angle that im using.

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 02, 2013 07:05 |  #6

Shooting a paid wedding (for any amount) without a backup is unprofessional and negligent. Get yourself a backup you are familiar with and can use.

Peter

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
663 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 02, 2013 07:32 |  #7

My friend(assistant) has his D600 and that will be the back up unless if I pick up the 6D. This isn't a regular wedding. These two are older and it's their 2nd marriage and they're not expecting nor do they want all the fancy poses. They just want someone there to capture the moment. I already told them I don't have all the pro equipment and that I've never shot a wedding. They are completely comfortable with it. I'm curious, since I read that the 6d handles iso so well, could I get away with shooting inside a church with my 70-200 f4 is?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,737 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 02, 2013 08:44 |  #8

ready2go wrote in post #16083452 (external link)
My friend(assistant) has his D600 and that will be the back up unless if I pick up the 6D. This isn't a regular wedding. These two are older and it's their 2nd marriage and they're not expecting nor do they want all the fancy poses. They just want someone there to capture the moment. I already told them I don't have all the pro equipment and that I've never shot a wedding. They are completely comfortable with it. I'm curious, since I read that the 6d handles iso so well, could I get away with shooting inside a church with my 70-200 f4 is?

That's all fine and dandy but did you get all that in a contract?

I ask again. What if your Canon camera fails. Are you going to take over your friend's Nikon D600 or are you going to let him take the lead. Are you comfortable using Nikon gear?

Shooting inside a church with a 70-200 f4 IS obviously depends on the lighting. With the 6D, you might have more leeway due to it's better high ISO noise handling. On average though, I am at 1/120-1/160 f2.8 ISO1600-4000 for churches. I don't own f4 lenses for a reason. But given enough light, it would absolutely suffice. Do you have access to the church? Perhaps go there and check the light levels?

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
663 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 02, 2013 09:01 |  #9

^I don't have a contract because this is more of a friendly agreement. They told me they're not expecting much and I'm expecting a lot out of myself so I figured, they'll be happy either way if we can meet in the middle. Plus, I figured the worst is that the photos come out less than good, but it'll still be good since they really just want to capture the moments. I'm charging such a small fee that I really don't care if I don't get paid. This is more for the experience and to expand my love for photography.
I'm guessing I'll upgrade to a 6D since the ISO handling is better.....so I guess I will have 2 bodies(possibility a 3rd cause of my friend's Nikon).

FYI - Here's my Flickr with my current set up. http://www.flickr.com/​photos/44730261@N02/ (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 02, 2013 09:13 |  #10

No backup and no contract for a paid gig is beyond foolish. I strongly suggest you get both in place.

Peter

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
663 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 02, 2013 12:40 |  #11

Definitely considering a 6D. I guess I need to find a simple contract too.

rob0225
287 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 02, 2013 15:25 |  #12

ready2go wrote in post #16083697 (external link)
^I don't have a contract because this is more of a friendly agreement. They told me they're not expecting much and I'm expecting a lot out of myself so I figured, they'll be happy either way if we can meet in the middle. Plus, I figured the worst is that the photos come out less than good, but it'll still be good since they really just want to capture the moments. I'm charging such a small fee that I really don't care if I don't get paid. This is more for the experience and to expand my love for photography.
I'm guessing I'll upgrade to a 6D since the ISO handling is better.....so I guess I will have 2 bodies(possibility a 3rd cause of my friend's Nikon).

FYI - Here's my Flickr with my current set up. http://www.flickr.com/​photos/44730261@N02/ (external link)

It's a friendly agreement until something happens.

http://www.randsphoto.​com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 02, 2013 16:15 |  #13

Consider getting a contract together first. Follow Peter's advice.

Do you need liability insurance for the church or venue? Even some fire halls require insurance so never assume.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 03, 2013 16:00 |  #14

I happen to use the 17-40 on a full frame, so I'm definitely not saying that wide isn't really helpful. but I'd almost NEVER be at 17mm shooting a group shot. Get back and compress the scene using a longer lens or at least focal length--if possible. At my last wedding I was shooting groups of 8 with my 70-200.

In my opinion, you'd be better off with adding a used 5d classic and using the balance to fund other equipment.

ready2go wrote in post #16082464 (external link)

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 03, 2013 16:18 |  #15

Dude a 6D isn't truly going to help you out much at all. It's not like full frame brings you into a new photographic dimesion of instant awesomeness to beheld by all the peasants below.

Honestly, just borrow a backup body from someone. Even a rebel. Whatever. Just use it only in emergencies. Save your money because it will help you out a helluva lot more by getting more glass.

I'm gonna be blunt. It's your first wedding. Things are going to happen faster than you can react. You gotta ensure a solid set of reportage photos first, and artistry second. Leave the primes in the bag for now and grab a zoom like the Canon 17-55. I've been shooting weddings professionally for 14 years and while I've shot mainly primes for the last 23 years of photogrpahy, I still use the 17-55 often because it helps me keep up with the action.

Put the camera on P (Program) mode and worry just about ISO and turning the flash on or off. Only two things to worry about. Forget M and Av for now. Otherwise, I can almost guarantee you're gonna shoot indoors at like 1/4 and blur out a whole set of photos, or shoot in noon day sun at ISO 1600.

You are already probably a master of your 60D. It is MORE THAN CAPABLE of shooting a wedding with the highest standards of quality. Honestly, shooting a newer body while you're already confused on the day is just bad news. You gotta keep it simple for your first wedding. The more complex you make it, the higher the chance that you'll screw something up. I still shoot weddings with my 40D, and it is fantastic.

Of course, if you just came here because you wanted us to justify an excuse for you to get a shiny new body, then do whatever you want and get the 6D. (But you'll probably do a better job with your 60D)

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

4,579 views & 0 likes for this thread
What should I upgrade first for my first ever wedding shoot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.