Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how bad is it to switch lenses while camera is on?

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 03, 2013 13:53 |  #1

Hey everyone

Just got my 70-200 f2.8 is and i love it! It's really heavy and sometimes when i want to switch lenses I forget to turn off the camera.
Ive heard people say that it is totaly ok and that it has no risk at all.
On the other hand, Ive seen comments from people saying that canon says that it is a big no-no.

What do you guys think?

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

sponsored links
kenwood33
Goldmember
2,615 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 03, 2013 13:55 |  #2

i never turn my camera off to switch card/lens/battery, have not had any issues yet on any of the 4-5 cameras i have owned

Gearlist

NemethR
874 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 03, 2013 13:55 |  #3

I never turned amy of my cameras off while switching lenses, altough I don't switch them too often.
I can't really imagine it has any effect, exept when shutter button is halfway pressed, but again, that is not probably the case, if you switch lenses.

Roland | Amateur Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G ED

cor726
49 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 03, 2013 13:57 |  #4

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I do it all the time and have never had an issues with it.

Canon 7D, 50D, 40D, 20D and T3, Σ EX 10-20 f/4-5.6, 17-40 F/4L, Σ EX 18-50 f/2.8, 18-55 IS, 70-200 F/4L, Σ EX 30 f/1.4, 40 f/2.8 STM, 60 2.8 Macro, 85 f/1.8, 1.4x II, 430EXII
And a Canon Rebel S II & 35-80 f/4-5.6 USM

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,744 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2013 14:03 |  #5

The camera has been designed to allow hot swaps of lenses. There is no issue in doing so. Those commenting differently need to provide a link from Canon stating that hot swapping a lens is not recommended. It is not in their manual. (I just checked)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 03, 2013 14:10 |  #6

thanks alot guys!

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 03, 2013 14:19 as a reply to  @ Romax12's post |  #7

I change lenses when I need to, whether the camera is on or off it makes no difference.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 03, 2013 14:19 |  #8

Great info. Sometimes I unintentional hot swap a lens and would feel bad about it because of potential damage to the electronics.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

mandon
51 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 03, 2013 14:19 |  #9

hmmnn...if i remember right, if you are using 100 mm macro f2.8 IS, the lens manual said to turn off the camera for 1 or 2 seconds(?) to avoid damaging the IS....

550d gripped, 7d gripped,24 70L f2.8 , 100 L f2.8 macro, 70-200L f2.8 II, 12 24 sigma ex hsm dg, nifty fifty, fecked kit lens (repaired by canon for free) canon TC 2X III ,cybertick flash, cheap chinese remote control, trig master flash trigger, cheap tripod, jusino tripod, nissin 566

gjl711
55,744 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2013 14:24 |  #10

mandon wrote in post #16088137 (external link)
hmmnn...if i remember right, if you are using 100 mm macro f2.8 IS, the lens manual said to turn off the camera for 1 or 2 seconds(?) to avoid damaging the IS....

That's true for all IS lenses. Do not remove a IS lens while the IS is engaged. (I believe this is in the lens manuals, I didn't check)

However, the camera does not need to be turned off. Just don't 1/2 press the shutter and remove the lens, or have it in rapid fire with IS engaged and remove the lens. It takes a second or two for the IS to disengage once your finger is off the shutter button.

In practical terms, once you take a picture, get the camera away from your face, put it into the lens changing position, press the release button and twist the lens, more likely than not enough time would have passed for the IS to turn off.

If you race through all the steps and try really hard to remove the lens in less than 2 seconds after taking a picture, it probably possible and if you do so, bad things can happen to the IS.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 03, 2013 15:21 |  #11

a guy who runs a camera shop told me once to turn off my camera when switching lenses. he said the sensor can attract dust more easily when the camera is powered on and open...

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

gjl711
55,744 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2013 16:25 |  #12

mike_311 wrote in post #16088332 (external link)
a guy who runs a camera shop told me once to turn off my camera when switching lenses. he said the sensor can attract dust more easily when the camera is powered on and open...

How is it going to do that? Suck the dust right through the shutter blades? Think about it. It makes no sense. When the lens is removed, the sensor is not visible. It is behind the shutter blades.

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 03, 2013 16:33 |  #13

You should have no issues as long as the body is not accessing the storage media at the time. This also applies to battery and card changing.

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 03, 2013 16:40 |  #14

Just pulled my camera out of my gear bag (where it has been off for a few days), took the lens off and set it on a table in a sun beam so I could watch the dust falling in front of the lens mount.

Camera, while off, demonstrated a minimal field effect on the dust. (Common household dust, charge unknown)

Upon powering on the camera it then demonstrated a slightly stronger field effect, enough to deflect multiple particles from their downward path such that they landed inside the mounting flange.

So, while the sensor may be covered at this point it has encouraged several more pieces of dust to enter the body. Given that they are no in the body they have the potential of migrating toward the sensor during its normal operation.

Also noted, the field effect has not quickly dissipated after powering the camera off, suggesting whatever charge is causing it will remain for some time after switching the camera to the off position.

However, it should be noted that the total effect of this is likely to be negated completely by simply moving the camera gear around during normal lens changing functions... While the statement may technically be true, in practice it is likely to have such a minimal effect as to be undetectable in real world practices.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 03, 2013 16:40 |  #15

gjl711 wrote in post #16088503 (external link)
How is it going to do that? Suck the dust right through the shutter blades? Think about it. It makes no sense. When the lens is removed, the sensor is not visible. It is behind the shutter blades.

How else does dust get on the sensor but when the lens is off. Do you think dust cant make it through the shutter blades? You are sadly mistaken. Dust is also attracted to electrostatic charges.

sponsored links

6,953 views & 0 likes for this thread
how bad is it to switch lenses while camera is on?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.