Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

backgrund blur - same aperture, different fl, different positions

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 03, 2013 15:47 |  #1

hey guys,

i got the 70-200 f2.8 is, and today I was trying it with some portraits.
I wonder what will give me the most background blur/ subject seperation:
examples:
1. me--------------->subject--------------->some trees.
2. ...............me--------------->subject--------------->some trees.

lets say that the first example was me standing 20 feet away from my subject with 200mm
and the second example was me getting closer to my subject, but reducing focal length for about 135mm.
which settings will give me the most blurry background?

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2013 16:38 |  #2

Well, if you are framing the subject the same, and using the same aperture, the DOF is going to be essentially the same either way. As your subject to trees distance is essentially the same, going by those examples, I doubt you would see a difference.

I would go with a third option, using 135mm in the same available space. Instead of moving closer to the subject, move the subject closer to you:

1. me--------------->subject--------------->some trees.
2. ...............me--------------->subject--------------->some trees.

3. me--------------->subject--------------->some trees

Get more distance between the subject and the trees, relative to the distance between you and the subject, for the focal length you choose.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 03, 2013 21:27 |  #3

For equal framing and equal aperture, the DOF will be the same.

The easiest way for me to explain this is as follows:

Imagine taking a portrait at 50mm and f/2.8 with a distance of 5 feet from the camera to the subject.

Now you can take a shot with a 200mm lens at f/2.8 with a distance of 20 feet from the camera to the subject.

Shot 1 and 2 will have the same framing
Shot 1 and 2 will have the same DOF
The perspective between the two shots will be quite different
Shot 2 will have a much blurrier background despite having the same DOF as shot 1

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 04, 2013 23:30 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Is it possible to go outside and test your options and then see which one you like best? Just be sure to write down exactly what you're doing for each shot so you don't forget when comparing them.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 05, 2013 06:21 |  #5

goldboughtrue wrote in post #16092515 (external link)
Is it possible to go outside and test your options and then see which one you like best? Just be sure to write down exactly what you're doing for each shot so you don't forget when comparing them.

This is, naturally, the best course of action.

The OP will learn far more about DOF control, and controlling background blur, by going out and experimenting and seeing the results. Answers in a forum will never give you the experience of feeling the distances involved and seeing the results. That way you learn to be an instinctive photographer, just doing what needs doing to get the result you want, because you have experience behind you.

ride5000
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 05, 2013 06:52 |  #6

the answer to the question depends on the distance between subject and background.

flickr (external link)

5dc w/ee-s, rokinon 85mm f/1.4, rokinon 35mm f/1.4, rokinon 8mm f/3.5, sigma 24 f/1.8, canon 35-135 f/3.5-4.5, canon 50mm f/1.8, nikkor s-auto 50mm f/1.4, tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 430ex2, pcb e640, oc-3, st-e2, pixel knight tr332, DiCAPac WPS10, b+w 10 stop nd, hoya hd cpl, kenko ext. tubes, brolly, diy softbox, etc.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,317 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 05, 2013 12:23 |  #7

ride5000 wrote in post #16093041 (external link)
the answer to the question depends on the distance between subject and background.

^
...but since we are dealing with identical f/stop in this case (for example f/2.8), the longer focal length blurs more, regardless of background distance. The 'it depends' happens when we compare different FL with different aperture, and the shorter FL can be more blurred for 'near background' but not 'far background'

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/135200_zpsad3bca89.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

1,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
backgrund blur - same aperture, different fl, different positions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.