Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stupid question: the point of wifi on DSLR?

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 03, 2013 23:17 |  #16

I'm still not sure how this works. Do you set your DSLR on live view and then view the scene on your phone or when connected does the phone see what the viewfinder sees? Thinking about how it might work I guess if you have full control of the camera you just turn on live view when you're ready to take a shot and then turn live view off after you have taken the shot. I am beginning to see where it could be useful.

Joe
5DIII

sponsored links
Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 03, 2013 23:18 as a reply to  @ post 16089450 |  #17

Wifi is really nice when you're working alone with a tripod that's at a distance from your subject in the studio. One you've set up the shot you can then walk around with a tablet or phone and make small adjustments to the lights, subject, etc... looking at the results on your hand held device rather than having to go back to the camera each time. For those of us who don't usually have a crew that can be a big help. With the EOS remote app you can completely control the camera. Focus, ISO, shutter speed, aperture... it's more than just a remote shutter release. It's not a feature I'd require in a camera, but it's a nice tool to have in the bag.

And the instant Facebook gratification is addicting.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

PapaGary
515 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 03, 2013 23:20 |  #18

powerslave wrote in post #16089435 (external link)
Edit: I noticed I was asked what unique feature, well, for one, a remote could be used to do the same thing, but this let's me sample my shots on the fly, let's me adjust settings and FOCUS manually (and AF) without having to go near the camera.

Now that is a cool feature.

powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 03, 2013 23:21 |  #19

Sparky98 wrote in post #16089481 (external link)
I'm still not sure how this works. Do you set your DSLR on live view and then view the scene on your phone or when connected does the phone see what the viewfinder sees? Thinking about how it might work I guess if you have full control of the camera you just turn on live view when you're ready to take a shot and then turn live view off after you have taken the shot. I am beginning to see where it could be useful.

Think of it simply as something that turns your smartphone/tablet into the camera's screen in live view mode.

Yes, it's a huge feature that everyone seems to dismiss as a gimmick. Only a matter of time though.

There are two main things, there is no support for video and the app (and the EOS utility) are a little rough around the edges, but this is undoubtedly a matter of time.

With the 70D coming with this feature, and rebels no doubt following suit, the app/utility should be polished with more and more features.

6D wifi is a killer feature no one seems to care about. :/

Don't even get me started on hooking up the EOS utility wirelessly to your high resolution computer screen. So much win.

Let Mr.Chuck Westfall walk you through this feature.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=nJeCIuPf7lo (external link)

flickr photostream (external link)
DP2 Merrill | 6D | TS-E24LII | EF24-105L | Fuji X-M1 | XC 16-50

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 03, 2013 23:32 |  #20

birder_herper wrote in post #16089302 (external link)
I was curious what wifi is useful for on a DSLR. I just watched a couple videos on youtube and it does seem pretty neat. With a Canon EOS app, you could use your smartphone to trigger the DSLR (useful for taking a photograph of yourself, group shots with you in it, etc). I also found it to be neat that almost instantly a photo taken with the DSLR could be sent to a smartphone, which you could then email to someone. So much for the days when I would photograph my DSLR's LCD screen with my smartphone and then send!

So I was curious what other cool things wifi can do. I initially thought it meant you could browse websites, check email, etc just like I can do on my smartphone. Can it do this, too?

Thanks!

My 4th daughter was born 2 months early. I had the 6D. My wife who had to stay in her room and my daughter who was rushed straight to the NICU where I went I was taking photos rooms away and my wife was getting a live feed being connected to the camera. Meaning once I took the shot about 2-3 seconds later she seen it come up in the image gallery part of the software on her phone. She told me "This is the one camera that you cannot sell"

can you think of any better reason than that :)

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 03, 2013 23:58 |  #21

It is only a matter of time before we will find it weird that an appliance doesn't have an internet connectivity feature. I thought it was odd when my sister-in-law bought a washer, dryer and refrigerator that do WIFI. Think of it! Your washing machine reminding you that you are low on fabric softener. Or perhaps your refrigerator texting you that someone has eaten the last olive.

If the point of most appliances is to make life easier, an internet connection can only enhance that. Say your freezer can sense a bad compressor somehow. Notifying you to call a repairman before it goes out completely on the first day of a 3-day holiday weekend could save you a lot of money in emergency repairs and costly food storage.

A camera with an internet connection? I don't think I'd ever use it, but it sounds like a powerfully useful tool to me. Perhaps automatic firmware upgrades? Instant on-line backups? Manufacturer-based diagnostics and repairs? The possibilities are endless.

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,795 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 04, 2013 00:15 |  #22

Talley wrote in post #16089525 (external link)
My 4th daughter was born 2 months early. I had the 6D. My wife who had to stay in her room and my daughter who was rushed straight to the NICU where I went I was taking photos rooms away and my wife was getting a live feed being connected to the camera. Meaning once I took the shot about 2-3 seconds later she seen it come up in the image gallery part of the software on her phone. She told me "This is the one camera that you cannot sell"

can you think of any better reason than that :)

Technology at its best! :D

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,307 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 04, 2013 00:36 |  #23

You are shooting an event and you send photos to your laptop, editors website. Copying photos from memory to cards to laptop is nerve wrecking when on dateline. You also do not have to worry about being of of memory cards.

Certain events eat up memory cards like there is no tomorrow (boxing). You must remove card, feed it to the laptop. Insert another card...repeat for remaining of match. Now repeat for 4 fights...

During super bowl 2013...photos of Beyonce were shown on Yahoo's website within 30-60 seconds...from the moment she took stage. Next time you watch a major event (oscars, super bowl, NBA finals) check major news website and see the photos pop up like magic.

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 04, 2013 00:57 |  #24

I don't have a 6D but I can see the wifi feature as a huge plus. You are basically shooting tethered, wirelessly. Shooting events with my laptop and an external screen connected can be troublesome.

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 04, 2013 01:03 |  #25

My initial thoughts on WiFi on a DSLR was that it was another gimmick, but on second thoughts, it is a tool which can work very well if used creatively. Remote viewing & the ability to adjust settings could be invaluable in certain circumstances, such as shooting wildlife.

oofing
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 04, 2013 01:12 |  #26

Can someone make an app to track your camera in the case that it ever gets stolen?

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,584 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 04, 2013 01:35 |  #27

oofing wrote in post #16089701 (external link)
Can someone make an app to track your camera in the case that it ever gets stolen?

I'd try this first http://www.stolencamer​afinder.com/ (external link) Seriously though, the WiFi eats a lot of battery, it's not something you leave on all the time.

That said, it's very useful and it frustrates me that people still see it as a "gimmick". I can't tell you how much I wish my EOS M had WiFi, in fact that might be the one feature that I'd buy the new M for. The remote ability is awesome, I don't even bother bringing my wireless remote anymore, being able to set up my camera how I want and then just sit down and have a beer with a friend while doing multiple long exposures at different settings all from my phone is awesome. Then I can upload those photos straight to Facebook, his phone, my phone, wherever.

Then there's the creative possibilites. Could I do a shot like this without WiFi? Probably. But it wouldn't have been as effortless, nor as fun ;)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8580725599_6dd339f0b4_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …erydaygetaway/8​580725599/  (external link)
WiFi Self Portrait-3 (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,795 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 04, 2013 02:04 |  #28

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16089737 (external link)
I'd try this first http://www.stolencamer​afinder.com/ (external link) Seriously though, the WiFi eats a lot of battery, it's not something you leave on all the time....

I do leave it on all the time. No problem with battery life.

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,584 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 04, 2013 02:07 |  #29

xinvisionx wrote in post #16089772 (external link)
I do leave it on all the time. No problem with battery life.

Interesting... I'll be honest, I leave mine off because of all the reviews that said how badly it screws your battery life :oops:

I also noticed that when I had it on for the self portrait shoot I did my battery level dropped faster than normal, but I was also using it in LV the whole time I used it...

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 04, 2013 02:07 |  #30

I thought it was reported that the GPS is what drained the battery on the 6D

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links

9,658 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stupid question: the point of wifi on DSLR?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.