Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stupid question: the point of wifi on DSLR?

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 05, 2013 01:33 |  #61

Coming from an IT background, the system is quite flexible. The main oddity is how specific each connection is. Normally, you'd connect to a network, then see or be seen by everything on the network. This is rather end to end only, regardless of typology.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,034 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 05, 2013 03:17 as a reply to  @ ElectronGuru's post |  #62

Event photographers coming from Canon's prior Ethernet-based systems, like the WFT-E5 for the 7D etc., are used to being able to connect their particular camera to one particular service, like an FTP server. They absolutely don't want anyone to get into their camera without their consent. Not even seing it is one way to keep most of them out.

The WFT server mode is a step away from this, but it still requires a login to the camera.

Now they are combining this with some more "social media oriented" functionality, but I can see the pretty restricted heritage having an influence on what they design today.

Anders

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 05, 2013 08:02 |  #63

Tommy1957 wrote in post #16089568 (external link)
It is only a matter of time before we will find it weird that an appliance doesn't have an internet connectivity feature. I thought it was odd when my sister-in-law bought a washer, dryer and refrigerator that do WIFI. Think of it! Your washing machine reminding you that you are low on fabric softener. Or perhaps your refrigerator texting you that someone has eaten the last olive.

There are pacemakers with wifi built in. Now here's a device that really benefits from wifi to make people's lives better. Built-in diagnostics are transmitted to the patient's phone so he and the doctors are sure everything is working properly, without having to go through another surgery to remove the device. Also, Wifi enables the pacemaker to notify the patient of an impending heart attack AND call 911. I'm not making this up, btw.

Now that's cool.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 05, 2013 08:09 |  #64

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16091165 (external link)
NOTE: here's what I'm really excited about: I just ordered the EOS-M a few minutes ago. I'll install a wi-fi card (eye-fi) and then I'll be able to actually use the camera's touch screen feature through my Iphone. Every single setting will be accessible.

Mike, can you briefly outline how this would work? I thought the Eye-Fi card only transmitted images and was not used for controlling the camera.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

captainkanji
119 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 05, 2013 11:58 |  #65

padmasana wrote in post #16092178 (external link)
Something I'm not clear about concerning wifi cameras is do you need an external wifi connection (like a starbucks or a home connection) to make it work or does it just work between the camera and smartphone regardless of whether there are wifi networks within the reach of both.
Thanks for any help. I'm tired of scratching my head about this.

The 6D becomes its own wifi network and your phone/tablet connects to it. You don't need an existing network to use the EOS app.

Canon 6D, EF 135f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8 II USM, EF 50mm f\1.4 USM, EF 40mm f\2.8 STM, 430exII speedlite, Flashbender.

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 05, 2013 13:21 |  #66

tgara wrote in post #16093146 (external link)
There are pacemakers with wifi built in. Now here's a device that really benefits from wifi to make people's lives better. Built-in diagnostics are transmitted to the patient's phone so he and the doctors are sure everything is working properly, without having to go through another surgery to remove the device. Also, Wifi enables the pacemaker to notify the patient of an impending heart attack AND call 911. I'm not making this up, btw.

Now that's cool.

That really is cool. I read about the implementation of wifi technology in automatic external defibrillators recently that can be used similarly. It transmits to medical personnel so that they can control the device and gather more information about the patient before emergency personnel arrive on scene.

And there's wifi kid trackers that are very popular now. I plan on tagging my kids on our next trip to Disney World.

The technology is all around us. I don't get why some people see it as a gimmick when it's built into a DSLR.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 06, 2013 17:21 |  #67

I'd like to see a feature where the camera would have a GPS locator built in & could be tracked on the internet if the camera was stolen & also have a feature in which the "owner" could control the camera remotely & block access to it's menus / features.

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 06, 2013 18:49 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #16091951 (external link)
Actually, all Canon designers and engineers did was copy a technology that was already available in other cameras. I have a camera, wifi, phone, Internet browser, e-mail and tons of apps all in my pocket everywhere I go. Canon did not originate anything here...just flowing with the crowd.

Your negativity is AMAZING! Why do you even patronize this forum?

Dave

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2013 20:12 |  #69

Bakewell wrote in post #16097310 (external link)

I don't consider that comment to be negative at all, nor is it positive; it's just stating an obvious fact. Why do you consider it negative?

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 06, 2013 20:14 |  #70
bannedPermanent ban

Bakewell wrote in post #16097310 (external link)

Glad I made your day. Just stating the facts. There was no new tech regarding wifi in the 6d. Sorry if I don't join hands and sing Kumbaya with you regarding anything to do with Canon.

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 06, 2013 20:27 |  #71
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #16097486 (external link)
Glad I made your day. Just stating the facts. There was no new tech regarding wifi in the 6d. Sorry if I don't join hands and sing Kumbaya with you regarding anything to do with Canon.

Wasn't expecting you to...never have in the past...why start now? BTW when looking at my gear do you really think that?

Dave

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 06, 2013 20:40 |  #72
bannedPermanent ban

archer1960 wrote in post #16097482 (external link)
I don't consider that comment to be negative at all, nor is it positive; it's just stating an obvious fact. Why do you consider it negative?

The purpose of the comment was to ridicule Canon and detract from the 6D. Pretty negative to me....IMO

Dave

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,576 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 06, 2013 20:54 |  #73

One thing I don't understand is why people want to be able to send a photo directly from their camera to facebook, or to send it via smartphone to someone. Why would someone want to share an image that hasn't been carefully edited? Don't we only want to share only our finest work? If an image hasn't been run thru my editing regimen, I don't want it going anywhere!
Do others feel differently about this? Do any of you POTNers actually want to share images that have not been edited carefully? If so, why?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 06, 2013 21:07 |  #74

People get used to doing something on their phone and want to do it on their other devices.

But I'm still surprised by the energy in this thread. The only features inherent to wifi are speed, protocols and security. All other features come from the software running on/with the network. This just came out, supported by only one (shipping) model. A new feature added to 2015 version of firmware or desktop software will be instantly available across all the compatible hardware. By which point, there will be an ecosystem of different cameras, ready to support it. This isn't all there is.

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 06, 2013 21:08 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16097548 (external link)
One thing I don't understand is why people want to be able to send a photo directly from their camera to facebook, or to send it via smartphone to someone. Why would someone want to share an image that hasn't been carefully edited? Don't we only want to share only our finest work? If an image hasn't been run thru my editing regimen, I don't want it going anywhere!
Do others feel differently about this? Do any of you POTNers actually want to share images that have not been edited carefully? If so, why?

Just take a quick look at the quality of most images on sites like flicker and you'll get your answer. Quality in photography has been greatly reduced overall since the digital revolution...and especially with cameras in the cell phones.

sponsored links

9,454 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stupid question: the point of wifi on DSLR?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.