Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stupid question: the point of wifi on DSLR?

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2013 21:09 |  #76

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16097548 (external link)
One thing I don't understand is why people want to be able to send a photo directly from their camera to facebook, or to send it via smartphone to someone. Why would someone want to share an image that hasn't been carefully edited? Don't we only want to share only our finest work? If an image hasn't been run thru my editing regimen, I don't want it going anywhere!
Do others feel differently about this? Do any of you POTNers actually want to share images that have not been edited carefully? If so, why?

That depends on what the picture is and whom I am sharing it with. If it's a big landscape shot in the Rockies, then yes, I would want to edit before posting.

If it's a snapshot of my kids' birthday party that I'm sending to their grandparents, then I am unlikely to want to do any significant editing before sending it.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,539 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 07, 2013 02:14 |  #77

One thing I don't understand is why people want to be able to send a photo directly from their camera to facebook, or to send it via smartphone to someone. Why would someone want to share an image that hasn't been carefully edited? Don't we only want to share only our finest work? If an image hasn't been run thru my editing regimen, I don't want it going anywhere!
Do others feel differently about this? Do any of you POTNers actually want to share images that have not been edited carefully? If so, why?

I used my 6D's WiFi today during a car cruise I was shooting. Uploaded several shots captioned "Rough sample shots - Pre-editing" to my facebook so that people involved with the event could see the shots and also to spread word of what we were up to. It got me 2 people to come out and do shoots with me and a model because they liked what they saw.

But to me the main point of the WiFi in the 6D are all the ways you can control the camera via your phone/tablet. It opens up all new creative possibilites :)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,399 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 07, 2013 02:51 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #78

This is all good to hear. I want a smartphone app that can MFA my camera/lens.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,587 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 07, 2013 11:51 |  #79

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16098030 (external link)
I used my 6D's WiFi today during a car cruise I was shooting. Uploaded several shots captioned "Rough sample shots - Pre-editing" to my facebook so that people involved with the event could see the shots and also to spread word of what we were up to. It got me 2 people to come out and do shoots with me and a model because they liked what they saw.

That does seem useful. I guess it's hard for me to relate to this, though, because I go out of my way NOT to have other people where I shoot. I shoot wildlife, and very much prefer to be shooting in areas where there are no other people within miles. Hence, I never want to share anything until long after the shoot, when there is no danger of someone else showing up at the place I am shooting at. I do see, however, how sharing images could be useful for someone who likes to have other people around when they are shooting.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 07, 2013 13:36 |  #80

I think this really depends on what you're posting. If you're sharing family snapshots via Facebook (which is what I mostly share on social media) then the editing might not be as critical. And what I get with the 6D is a whole lot better than what I get with my smartphone. Don't get me wrong, I generally don't upload any images that are out of focus and not decently exposed, but what I share as snapshots of my kids is a lot less controlled than what I post on my site as my work.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 07, 2013 14:43 |  #81

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16098857 (external link)
That does seem useful. I guess it's hard for me to relate to this, though, because I go out of my way NOT to have other people where I shoot. I shoot wildlife, and very much prefer to be shooting in areas where there are no other people within miles. Hence, I never want to share anything until long after the shoot, when there is no danger of someone else showing up at the place I am shooting at. I do see, however, how sharing images could be useful for someone who likes to have other people around when they are shooting.

Tom, not everyone shoots the way you do, and having wifi means more than just sharing quick shots on Facebook. You have to think more broadly about the potential uses.

What about professional sports shooters, for example? They can take a shot of a wide receiver catching a touchdown pass in the end zone. If his camera is set to record JPGs with some light editing done by the camera via Picture Styles, and I believe the 6D lets you do in-camera cropping. From there, the photographer can send those photos to his phone via the camera's wifi, then email them to the publisher who can get them up on their website or other publication in near real time. That's amazing.

The additional benefit of working the camera remotely through a phone app should be of interest to wildlife photographers like yourself. You might want to consider the possibilities.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sponsored links

9,468 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stupid question: the point of wifi on DSLR?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.