Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 09 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 06:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before and After #479

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 09, 2013 06:39 |  #1

The game will last 7 Days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.
Feel free to comment and/or ask questions at any time. This is a good competition for learning new methods, so let's make it a bit more dynamic. I will be judging edits, not comments. Feel free to comment on the original image as well.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #480".

Submissions end, Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 at 7:41AM (NY time) and a winner will be announced.

RAW FILE \/
http://d.pr/f/HtMQ (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1157.photobuck​et.com …/IMG_9067_zpsab​d45520.jpg (external link)

Good Luck and have fun!

Dawicka2

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

sponsored links
yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 09, 2013 17:23 |  #2

different conversions under DPP to recover the underexposed areas and also lot of cloning to remove the traces of the food, then blending and local adjustments with DPP++ plugin to achieve more flashy color.

IMAGE: http://digitol.free.fr/images/starmer.jpg

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

Colt4570
502 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 11, 2013 13:31 as a reply to  @ yb98's post |  #3

This was a challenge, but it taught me a lot.
(and my wife says I spent too much time on it, lol).

In LR4, I set the B&W points, raised the exp about 1.0, raised the shadows, lens correction and took white balance down to try to correct some colors. Raised the clarity, brightness and sharpness on the subject itself. I ran it through several filters in Nik color efex 4; Reflector efex-soft gold, Bleach bypass-bright, and Indian summer-+2, cropped a little on the sides, cloned out food and pvc pipe, and -24 vignette.

The B&W version was some of the same LR settings then Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 high contrast conversion, along with a crop.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)
Gear

NigelD
I'm waiting....
6,630 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 12, 2013 12:46 |  #4

Opened in ACR and increased exposure, shadows and clarity. In CS6, duplicated BG then made selection of tentacle over pipe and put on own layer, then cloned out the pipe. Hue/saturation to change colours, square crop, oil paint filter then change canvas size and add drop shadow and smart sharpened.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

Dawicka2
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 16, 2013 06:50 |  #5

Excellent work, everyone. As usual, this was tough to judge.

Yb98- Great cloning and i love the colors that you rendered.

Colt4570-Also a great look regarding the colors and cloning. I also enjoyed the contrast in your black and white conversion. Nice work!! I also get the "you are still messing with that image?" from my wife. :)

Nigel D- I really like this too. Is that oil paint filter a plugin... or the one found within cs6? I usually use pixelbender, but that does a great job. I really like the color palette that you chose + really nice effects.

So close, but i am giving it to yb98. You took a nasty green foggy aquarium, and made it lively and crisp.
Again... great work, everyone!!

I look forward to the next one.

-dawicka2

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

NigelD
I'm waiting....
6,630 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 16, 2013 08:08 |  #6

Well done everyone especially yb98.

@Dawicka2 - Thanks! - yes its the one inside CS6. I used to use Pixelbender before I got CS6 but I find that the options inside CS6 are much more pleasing to work with.

Nigel

Dawicka2
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 16, 2013 08:34 |  #7

That is good to know. I have not used cs6 yet, but am definately due for a lightroom upgrade. LR3 will not even open the majority of "new" raw files in this comp. Editing the jpgs is not nearly as fun. I will probably just spend the 150.00 and be done with it. :)

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 16, 2013 09:39 |  #8

Thanks. Good edits everyone.
#480 is up

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,453 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 16, 2013 11:14 as a reply to  @ yb98's post |  #9

Knew that one was a winner, yb98. Kudos.

Nigel almost rallied to steal the show there. Well done, Nigel.

Mark J.
Gear

Colt4570
502 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 16, 2013 11:47 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #10

Congrats to yb98, when I saw your edit, it had some real punch!

Good work everybody, that was a tough one.

As far as the LR upgrades, I need to get 5 before they put LR on "The Cloud" too.:mad:

Flickr (external link)
Gear

NigelD
I'm waiting....
6,630 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 16, 2013 11:56 |  #11

M_Six wrote in post #16125192 (external link)
Knew that one was a winner, yb98. Kudos.

Nigel almost rallied to steal the show there. Well done, Nigel.

Thanks Mark!

Nigel

Dawicka2
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 16, 2013 12:22 |  #12

Colt4570 wrote in post #16125295 (external link)
As far as the LR upgrades, I need to get 5 before they put LR on "The Cloud" too.:mad:

yeah.... looks like i am stopping at pshop cs6. :) That "too long of a shutterspeed for handheld" correction feature looks pretty neat though. Editing technology is getting crazy............

sponsored links

1,731 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before and After #479
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.