Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 05:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lowepro Sport AW200 For Hiking? Anything else?

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 11, 2013 05:03 |  #1

I'm looking at getting a bag for when I walk trails/hiking. Preferably it can hold a tripod safely and comfortably and ease of access is pretty important. I've been looking at the Lowepro Sport AW200 since it's designed for hiking. Are there any other bags I should consider? Holding a hydration bag isn't necessary but space for water bottles is a must.

sponsored links
RileyNZL
612 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 11, 2013 09:23 |  #2

Have that bag myself, it is great for walking/biking. There is also a slightly larger version, its called the Lowepro photo sport 35L I think. Only thing is you will want a travel size tripod with this bag, I have afull size and it's a bit big.

Managed to get all this into it:

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2824/9180361347_8033ee558d_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rileybaker/9180​361347/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7409/9182576496_08975194b3_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rileybaker/9182​576496/  (external link)

More photos of this bag at the bottom of this set: http://www.flickr.com …56962002/with/9​180361347/ (external link)

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 11, 2013 09:40 |  #3

What gears are you going to carry?

You can also checkout Clik Elite Pro/Compact Body sport series.

If you have more money in your pocket, F-stop Kenti is another choice

Fly me away.

daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 14, 2013 16:55 |  #4

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6513755285_d6d7358b5f_z.jpg
Here is my setup with my 200.

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 15, 2013 06:07 as a reply to  @ daveyboi's post |  #5

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to carry a camera body with lens attached, maybe an extra lens, flash, filters, and a travel tripod. Obviously don't want it to be too heavy since I'll be walking for hours.

Has anyone compared the sport to the flipside sport series? It allows the tripod to be more "protected" which I like.

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 16, 2013 04:59 |  #6

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #16121366 (external link)
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to carry a camera body with lens attached, maybe an extra lens, flash, filters, and a travel tripod. Obviously don't want it to be too heavy since I'll be walking for hours.

Has anyone compared the sport to the flipside sport series? It allows the tripod to be more "protected" which I like.

I don't see a bottle holder on the flipside bags, isn't that what you'd like to have ?

As for tripods, I can fit my medium sized travel tripod inside the Sport AW 200, but that's with my smallish Nex cameras and lenses .
You can also attach a padded tripod bag to the side; the available straps are not perfect for that, but very managable .

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 16, 2013 09:54 |  #7

Petersman wrote in post #16124419 (external link)
I don't see a bottle holder on the flipside bags, isn't that what you'd like to have ?

As for tripods, I can fit my medium sized travel tripod inside the Sport AW 200, but that's with my smallish Nex cameras and lenses .
You can also attach a padded tripod bag to the side; the available straps are not perfect for that, but very managable .

I think the place you can place a hydration system can hold a water bottle or two.

The ability to keep the tripod in a bag interests me. I'm not sure if I like the flipside idea or don't as far as accessibility goes.

Teeth
310 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 16, 2013 10:21 as a reply to  @ BigBadWolfie's post |  #8

I have both a Flipside 400AW and a Photo Sport 200AW.

While the Photo Sport is great for keeping light with a body and two lenses plus various hiking goods (snacks/lunch, tools, water) and some gadgets like GPS, it's not the best suited for holding a tripod bigger than those small travel pods (mefoto-ish).

The Flipside 400AW is a bit bigger allowing for more camera gear and less hiking goods/gadgets (unless you place them in the camera compartment). A big positive is the dedicated tripod holder on the back of the pack. The rear access isn't too restricting as I've always found I'll take a break to put the bag down and pull any gear out while I have a snack. Although, you can always attach the hip straps, slip off the shoulder straps and spin the bag around you for easy opening on the go.

Overall, I'd say it's a decision between tripod compatibility and camera gear capacity (Flipside) versus the lighter weight and convenience of smaller capacity and side opening (Photo Sport). I ended up wanting both so I picked up a F-Stop Loka (tripod straps, lots of camera gear space, lots of hiking gear space, but no side opening).

Shameless plug: I'm selling the Flipside 400AW and Photo Sport 200AW now that I have the Loka. Let me know if you're interested.

Scott | gear | flickr (external link) | website (external link)

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 17, 2013 07:22 as a reply to  @ Teeth's post |  #9

I have a Feisol 3441S tripod. Would that fit well in the AW200? If not, which one of the Flipside Sport would be good?

Teeth
310 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2013 08:41 |  #10

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #16127702 (external link)
I have a Feisol 3441S tripod. Would that fit well in the AW200? If not, which one of the Flipside Sport would be good?

My 3401 is 5cm longer + head than your 3441S when folded. I wish I had a picture on hand but I can put the 3401 in the AW200 standing straight up in the main compartment that runs the length of the bag (there's a small space beside the camera compartment).

The tripod does stick out about 3" from the top of the bag but the cover still clips together around the sticking out tripod. You can also attach it sideways under the bag like shown in a pictures above. Both methods will leave the water bottle holder free for use.

Scott | gear | flickr (external link) | website (external link)

mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 17, 2013 10:23 |  #11

Trying to buy a camera/hiking bag is more confusing and personal than Canon vs. Nikon. :-)

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

shikhan
57 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 17, 2013 11:41 |  #12

mchong75 wrote in post #16128182 (external link)
Trying to buy a camera/hiking bag is more confusing and personal than Canon vs. Nikon. :-)

Agreed! I've got the AW200 for day hikes and it works great, but as I'm starting to look for backpacks for multi-day hiking, I think I'm going to go with a non-camera backpack and just throw my gear into a small bag (perhaps my domke F-5) and keep the camera on a capture clip for the most part.

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 18, 2013 05:56 |  #13

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #16127702 (external link)

Did you see this thread ?

Also here for my tripod (legs not folded over) inside the bag .

sponsored links

4,788 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lowepro Sport AW200 For Hiking? Anything else?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.