Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Jul 2013 (Friday) 08:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

whats your take on westcott's kit?

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 12, 2013 08:53 |  #1

hey everyone

I was looking for a nice studio kit for my soon-to-be-bought 430ex ii. I want a stand, a shoe mount bracket with an umbrella bracket, and an umbrella ofcourse.
I will shot portraits with it, for now outside, with subject in shade and behind him a nice-lit background.
Basically, I want to get someting like this:
http://youtu.be/21WWju​dp5LM?t=23m7s (external link)

Here is a kit which I found at B&H. What do you think about it?
Do I have to pay premium for studio lighting?
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …sible_Umbrella_​Flash.html (external link)

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,412 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 12, 2013 08:57 |  #2

The B&H kit is fine for use with a 430exII. As with any shooting outside make sure you have some sand bags or stakes to hold the light in place as it takes only a mere puff of wind to send them toppling.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 12, 2013 09:52 |  #3

Basically looks OK but that piffling little "Lightweight" (their words, not mine) lightstand will probably need replacement before long. I'd go for a minimum 10ft medium to heavyweight stand and some SANDBAGS, personally. Don't go thinking you won't need the sandbags cos you WILL and they're cheaper than a replacement flash unit when it blows over.

Don't need to use actually sand for the weight, bottles of water work well (1 Imperial gallon of water weighs 10lbs avoirdupois, 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilogram) and you can either drink or pour away when you've finished - saves carrying the weight back to base. ;)

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 13, 2013 08:23 |  #4

Thanks for the input guys. Do you think i will benefit more from getting a better stand like a manfrotto one? I saw one at b&h for 115$. Maybe it will be worthwhile in the long term?

Canon t3i

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2013 12:57 |  #5

There's nothing actually wrong with the light stand in the kit. The thing is that we all tend to upgrade / change / modify a lot of equipment but light stands are around for a long time. Unless they have shortcomings (pun intended, BTW). One of these is lack of height - you can always use a high stand only partly extended but not the other way round.

It's very tempting to go for the less expensive option initially. Before long, you come up against the limitations and then it needs replacing. If you get a taller stand to start off with, the outlay is greater in the first place but less overall. No other reason than that for the suggestion.

I don't know what is available in the US, you seem to have a wider choice than we do this side of The Pond, but the Manfrotto 1004BAC (external link) would certainly be one option I'd consider.
Getting rather more expensive, but giving you an additional facility, had you considered something like the Manfrotto 420B Combi boom (external link) stand] - a 12ft stand which also can be used as a boom arm (INSTEAD of the 12ft, not in addition)?

Neither of these are necessarily the BEST option, it depends on what is available and your budget, but it's a starting point for your search. Look at:

• Maximum height available.
  • Footprint - bigger the better for outdoors stability.
  • Material - steel is stronger than aluminium but a lot heavier. It can also rust (eventually).
  • METAL adjustments of riser height / joint - don't be fobbed off with plastic, GRP, nylon or anything like that - it's sort-of OK initially but doesn't last as long. This from a man with some 40 year old light stands (yes, I did buy them new)!
  • Finish - if aluminium then anodised lasts longer than paint. Both mark and give you that 'beat-up' look but the painted ones tend to do it almost immediately. Personally, I don't care (it's a tool not a jewel) - but some folks do.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,412 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 13, 2013 16:09 |  #6

Its only holding up a speedlite. There isnt a huge need for a heavy duty stand, its not like you are throwing a 10 pound monolight.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2013 16:45 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #16117397 (external link)
Its only holding up a speedlite. There isnt a huge need for a heavy duty stand, its not like you are throwing a 10 pound monolight.

Yet.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,412 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 13, 2013 16:56 |  #8

Whortleberry wrote in post #16117491 (external link)
Yet.

So your answer is to over buy on the chance he might someday perhaps maybe get different gear. This is the sort of internet advice that ends up in discussions where nothing short of a 1DX is good enough.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 13, 2013 18:29 |  #9

Merely offering options, based on OP's own mention of Manfrotto and of long-term use being a consideration. If one has information and doesn't need it then no loss. If one needs information and doesn't have it, one may then lose out medium/long term. Who knows what the future may bring?

Another option would be to coerce a passer-by into holding the flash combo as best they could. A third option would be to ditch the T3i and just use a camera phone. In the long run, only OP can make the decision of how to spend his/her money based on projected future development.

Or were you simply being contentious? I did, after all, preface my comments with

"There's nothing actually wrong with the light stand in the kit"

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,712 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 13, 2013 18:33 |  #10

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …-101-traveling-light.html (external link)

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Max ­ Headroom
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 14, 2013 01:41 |  #11

Hi Romax
I have tried and bought a few light stands and it seems that it rather depends on your exact use as to which would be best. Light weight for ease of portability can give you problems in wind, heavier stands are better but then you have to carry them, they have larger footprint and are more expensive. Also depends on size of light modifier you will be using. If you are just running and gunning and you are helping your son what about a light pole with small softbox on the end (you can always use a TTL cable to control the flash? (or a couple of cheap triggers). I would tend to go towards the heavier duty stands though, as you can always use in studio as well.

mkville
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 15, 2013 07:36 |  #12

This was my first light kit and for the price it is now, don't hesitate. For starting out, you can't go wrong hell I still use it from time to time, also the stands are fine. Obviously this is for speedlights only, not sure what your budget is but the Westcott Softbox kit is worth a look as well

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …331_28_Apollo_w​ith_8.html (external link)

Mark
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 15, 2013 22:46 |  #13

Not sure budget ? Something like the cheetah boom stand ? Booming out your light can be nice ? Not needed but when you need to its nice to have that option

A soft box with a grid is also really nice so you can control the light much more than a umbrella when you want to so something to think about adding since umbrellas are cheap its easy to have one but a softbox and grid may open up more creative options IMHO :)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 17, 2013 08:49 |  #14

I think I'll go with a manfrotto 1004bac stand and an umbrella + shoe mount for flash. Being the price difference between the 430ex ii and the 600ex-rt is only 200$ - Do you think I should invest in the big one? I don't actually get what it means that he can act as a master? Does it has a built-in radio? Can I buy only trasnmitter to trigger it? What other benefits there are besides the power ofcourse///

Canon t3i

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,412 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 17, 2013 10:16 |  #15

The 600exRT is the first canon flash with built in radio transceiver technology. It can serve as a master when its in your hotshoe for another 600exRT. It can also be mastered via radio from a device called an ST-E3. I wont argue against the 600 as its a great flash, but you might get more for your money with used 430 or 580's and a set of the YN622c triggers which duplicate many of the canon wireless features.

sponsored links

2,046 views & 0 likes for this thread
whats your take on westcott's kit?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.