Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 02:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

TS-E 17 or 24 ii?

RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 17, 2013 02:39 |  #1

Hello,

To complete my lens collections, I plan to purchase one of the wide angle TS-Es.

Just not sure which one, I read a lot on both but can't really make up my mind. I'd mainly use it to shoot landscape and cityscape, so I'd surely fancy the "wideness" of the 17 but I read it tends to get lots of flare and I couldn't attach my filters. The 24 would be less wide but I could attach my 82mm Hoya ND filters or polarizers, and could always stich panoramas when needed (though I read it can be a pain to achieve when shifted).

Would the 24 do the job for my kind of use?

Thank you.

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

sponsored links
frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 17, 2013 04:37 |  #2

I have both and reach for the 24 much more often. Partly because I like the focal length better, partly because I shoot landscape more than architecture, and sometimes because conditions worry me with the 17s bulging front element (e.g., working near MFD). BTW, I really like the 24 when working near MFD. It's not a 100L but it has nice magnification.

It's not black-and-white but, generally, I'll take the 24 for landscape and the 17 for architecture. The 17 is especially good indoors. The 24 has more filter options but filters are available for both.

Look back at your 16-35 pics and see what focal range you use most often, especially what captures would benefit from TS, and search POTN as this topic has been discussed many times before.

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 17, 2013 06:53 |  #3

This is one of those questions thats easy to answer with some time in the lens archive. Just see which of the candidates takes more and / or better shots with the look and subject you are after.

+1 to the MFD, a sample from last week:

IMAGE: http://www.oveready.com/insiders/43/10.jpg

PS, I upgraded from a 16-35

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 17, 2013 07:01 |  #4

Thanks for the replies.

Surely I could find myself in need of both depending on the situation (I shoot quite equally at 16 or 35 with my 16-35), but can't afford both yet.

I'll start with the 24 that seems more versatile. I'll stich when I need a wider pov, makes more sense than starting to crop most photos with the 17...

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 17, 2013 07:08 |  #5

Don't forget that with a tripod and the stitching ability to make panoramas of "shifted" pictures; the angle covered by the 24mm TS-E could be very wide.

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

JustinPoe
707 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 17, 2013 08:45 |  #6

nottoosharp wrote in post #16127671 (external link)
Thanks for the replies.

Surely I could find myself in need of both depending on the situation (I shoot quite equally at 16 or 35 with my 16-35), but can't afford both yet.

I'll start with the 24 that seems more versatile. I'll stich when I need a wider pov, makes more sense than starting to crop most photos with the 17...

I would be careful to be in the mindset of "I can always stitch". Because I was. If I had to do it again, I might buy the 17 instead and crop anything out of the shot I didn't like.

(This is strictly from a landscape shooting point of view)
I had the TS-E 24L II and I ended up selling it because I felt it was very limiting. The IQ is amazing but I found myself forcing shots that weren't very good. I'd say most of my landscape shots are at 14-18mm, so I like to shoot really wide. 24 often wasn't wide enough and when I went to shift, I was scrambling to try to get all my shots shifted/bracketed etc. It just makes for a pain in post processing as well. I was always very frustrated.

In the end, the IQ wasn't worth it with the amount of shots I lost.

500px (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 17, 2013 09:49 |  #7

The 24mm II is a better lens. I recommend going with that if the focal length works for you. If not, then go with the 17mm. The 17mm isn't as sharp or as well-corrected, but it is still a wonderful lens and a very valuable part of my little lens collection.

Regarding filters, I use the Lee Filter system for my 24mm, but use the Fotodiox "Wonderpana" filter system for the TS-E 17mm. The Wonderpana is an absurdly huge filter, but it's affordable, works well, and uses the same clip as the lens cap to snap on the lens. I wish the Lee Filter kit was as easy to snap on and off.

http://fotodioxpro.com …s-cap-and-cpl-filter.html (external link)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links

1,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
TS-E 17 or 24 ii?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.