Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 18 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 16:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer honoured by US military

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 18, 2013 16:30 |  #1

http://www.stalbertgaz​ette.com …grapher-earns-rare-honour (external link)

And here are the pictures:
http://www.afghanistan​throughmylens.com …Through_My_Lens​/Home.html (external link)

Joel

sponsored links
helloyo53
131 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2013 14:33 |  #2

Thanks for posting this! It's nice to see photos of a major world event through the eyes (or lens) of just a regular person instead of the media, which tends to skew some of the story.

-Brandon
Canon EOS 60D Gripped | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L USM IS

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 22, 2013 15:54 |  #3

Well, he is a photographer/filmmaker​. I'm not saying that to detract from his award or challenge his contributions... just saying he's not just a "regular person." Thanks to all those people who don't just settle on being "regular" and put themselves in harm's way in order to pursue what they are passionate about.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Shufu
838 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 22, 2013 18:02 |  #4

For him to hang out and become part of a team for seven months in that kind of place says alot about the man.. I would shake his hand and buy him a beer any day. And IMHO, I also feel that he's far from being a "regular person".

Saipan, where we proudly put the fun in dysfunctional every chance we get!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 22, 2013 18:04 |  #5

Don't forget the active-duty shooters...

http://framework.latim​es.com …tographer-of-the-year/#/0 (external link)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

helloyo53
131 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2013 20:46 |  #6

Sorry, I guess "regular" wasn't the proper word to use. My point is, he is a non-media photographer that isn't skewing the story-he is photographing it how it is.

-Brandon
Canon EOS 60D Gripped | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L USM IS

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 23, 2013 08:15 |  #7

helloyo53 wrote in post #16144746 (external link)
My point is, he is a non-media photographer that isn't skewing the story-he is photographing it how it is.

I don't mean to pick you apart, but I know at least one news photojournalist on the forum here that does a remarkable job portraying some of the most important events of our lives today.

On the forum, we've touched on topics like photojournalist integrity and, as a result, I feel that photojournalists - more so that your "regular" photographer - are obligated to portray things as they are. As I understand it, the photojournalistic circle frowns upon manipulation of photos during postprocessing aside from basic exposure tweaks and cropping. There is absolutely no cloning or masking or touchups being done to their images... unlike what many of us "regular" photographers do.

In my opinion, it's the written media that can churn a story - but the photograph, in and of itself, is a depiction that tells its own story without words. EVERY photographer attempts to tell a story - but I think it's the commercial photographers, portrait photographers, or even wedding photographers who try to "skew" the story in a way most favorable to their client.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 23, 2013 08:24 |  #8

Nathan wrote in post #16145885 (external link)
but the photograph, in and of itself, is a depiction that tells its own story without words. EVERY photographer attempts to tell a story - but I think it's the commercial photographers, portrait photographers, or even wedding photographers who try to "skew" the story in a way most favorable to their client.

The story a photograph tells is no more true than the story a writer can tell you. What is and isn't shown can change the story dramatically.

Best example was photos from the early stage of the US invasion of Iraq, went something like having one photo showing a group of soldiers having just come out of their transport and hit the dirt in a row. A dramatic photo showing gallant young men putting their lives on the line...

Another photo, shot from a different angle so as to include some of the soldiers and the photographer revealed half a dozen or so photographers out ahead of the soldiers, and made the scene look far less daring and impressive.

You don't have to change a thing in the image to tell complete lies with a photo.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 23, 2013 08:37 |  #9

Luckless wrote in post #16145917 (external link)
The story a photograph tells is no more true than the story a writer can tell you. What is and isn't shown can change the story dramatically.

Valid point. I can agree with that. So, as it turns out, everyone has an angle. A photograph is but a small piece from a larger tapestry of truth. No matter how it's cut, it's still only a a piece of the truth.

Then it goes, perhaps, that a photo is not worth a thousand words. Or... if it is worth a thousand words, it takes a million more to tell the story.

scotteisenphotography
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 23, 2013 11:35 |  #10

helloyo53 wrote in post #16144746 (external link)
Sorry, I guess "regular" wasn't the proper word to use. My point is, he is a non-media photographer that isn't skewing the story-he is photographing it how it is.

Well, I somewhat take offense to this, as a "member of the media." Photojournalists are not sent to a scene of a crime, a world event, a disaster with the intentions of "skewing" something. That's not how we are trained, and that's not in our code of ethics. Take a look at this, the generally accepted ethics we follow, https://nppa.org/code_​of_ethics (external link).

We do not approach things and say "Hey, I'll make sure to make this person look worse than this person." A true image maker/photojournalist is going to shoot the scene as he or she sees it, as it is given to us, and not with the intention to skew it one way or another. What can get skewed is how it is used afterwards. Take some text and throw it on the image, that can completely change it. Add it to an article with some info, and the picture can have no relationship to the story, but the text will make it seem so. Your understanding of a "media-photographer" needs to be changed. Video is a whole different animal, but for the true, still photojournalists, no one is going into it with the idea to skew the story, and you should be careful about the judgements you make.

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 23, 2013 11:42 |  #11

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #16144338 (external link)
Don't forget the active-duty shooters...

http://framework.latim​es.com …tographer-of-the-year/#/0 (external link)

Thanks for sharing, a lot of powerful images here.

Joel

helloyo53
131 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 23, 2013 13:21 |  #12

Sorry, I have never been that good at getting my point across clearly. I wasn't trying to offend or put down media photographers. Maybe this is why people don't let me talk in public. :p

I don't know how to explain what I am thinking, so I'm not going to say anything else as to prevent myself from digging myself in a deeper hole.

Regardless, the images shown on the site are very good images that show very well the life in Afghanistan.

-Brandon

sponsored links

2,046 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer honoured by US military
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.