Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Jul 2013 (Friday) 18:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Quality degrades while loading pictures?

Flynny2
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 19, 2013 18:33 |  #1

Before I load anything into lightroom, I always go through my RAWs with Windows Gallery to delete duplicates and bad shots so I don't waste space on my computer. Something weird happens when I'm going through the photos however; in the brief half second while they're loading, they look rich (Like This) (external link) and once they're done loading, they look dull and grey Like This (external link). What's happening here? Is it some weird glitch with Windows Gallery and raw files?

The pictures look like they're supposed to (like the first screenshot) once I have them in lightroom, but it would be nice to have them look right in Gallery so I can quickly sort the good from the bad.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,685 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 19, 2013 18:47 |  #2

My gut feeling is that at first you see the embedded JPEG preview, but then it somehow switches to rendering CR2 directly. I don't use Windows Gallery, I much prefer Faststone; see if that works for you.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 19, 2013 19:23 |  #3

Why not review and delete in LR? I import all then cull, why go through two seperate steps?

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

Luta13
185 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 19, 2013 21:44 |  #4

Agree with Ralff. LR is arguably the best workflow software. Take some time to get to know its importing functions and you will wonder why you were ever bringing your files into another program first.

- Mike -
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/luta_foto/ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 19, 2013 22:07 |  #5

I use FastPictureViewer to cull, much faster workflow that way IMHO. It creates XMP that work with Bridge/LR.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,497 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 20, 2013 03:24 |  #6

Why not review and delete in LR? I import all then cull, why go through two seperate steps?

That's not two separate steps? The Import dialog in LR2 was useless for prejudging images, LR3 was improved and LR4/5 has an Import dialog that is very good for doing the initial run-through and deciding what to transfer to the hard drive or other permanent storage. It makes absolutely no sense to me to import everything on the card indiscriminately and then delete the losers (unless you are so good that you never shoot losers). On the Import page first uncheck all (at the bottom of the page), then select the first image and hit E (for loupe). Scroll through all the shots with the arrow keys; under each one is a check-box "Include in Import". Import only the ones you have checked.

Elie / אלי

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,633 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 20, 2013 05:46 |  #7

Flynny2 wrote in post #16135846 (external link)
....in the brief half second while they're loading, they look rich (Like This) (external link) and once they're done loading, they look dull and grey Like This (external link). What's happening here? Is it some weird glitch with Windows Gallery and raw files?

The initial image you are seeing is the jpeg preview file embedded with the RAW file - the same image you see when you view the image on your camera LCD. This preview will have been processed by the camera using whatever setting you have set in the camera (monochrome, landscape, portrait, standard etc etc). Once the file is loaded the software will create a new preview image based on the unprocessed RAW file. Because it doesn't have the same in camera processing applied it looks less impressive. You will need to do post processing on to to bring out the best in the image.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,633 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 20, 2013 05:48 |  #8

tzalman wrote in post #16136799 (external link)
On the Import page first uncheck all (at the bottom of the page), then select the first image and hit E (for loupe). Scroll through all the shots with the arrow keys; under each one is a check-box "Include in Import". Import only the ones you have checked.

+1 to this. I always use the Lightroom import screen to check for duds. Lr used to be bad/slow at this but the latest versions are vastly improved.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 20, 2013 18:00 |  #9

I will keep importing and deleting in LR, easier for me. I can look at them in full screen on my 27" iMac and delete as needed. Whatever floats you're boat!

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 28, 2013 00:20 |  #10

I Import into LR first and then cull. I'm sure other apps are a bit faster, especially ones that just "see" the embedded jpeg. I don't know what's going on with the Windows viewer, I'd think it would only see the embedded jpeg, but Oh Well, who knows?

To me it's just more efficient to use the Lightroom tools to check and cull. Plus, I can always make quick moves to say the Develop module to check things while I'm going through the batch. The "Loading" slowdowns just aren't enough of a bother to prompt me to turn to separate software.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,275 views & 0 likes for this thread, 8 members have posted to it.
Quality degrades while loading pictures?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.