Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 23 Jan 2006 (Monday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NYC POTN Meet Chinatown Lunar New Year Jan 29

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 23, 2006 17:44 |  #1

It is a little under a week before we meet at NYC! I decided to make a new thread because the old one here https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=120766 has become quite long and tedious to read. Here are the things to remember:

WHAT - Firecracker Ceremonies, opening of Lunar New Year celebration.

WHERE - Manhattan Chinatown, Canal area. Meeting place, just ouside the Starbucks Cafe at the corner of Canal and Centre Streets.

WHEN - January 29, Sunday, at 11:30 am. Ceremonies go on from 12 to 2 pm.

HOW - to get there? Get to NYC, and ride the train of your choice to Canal Street :) For those having trouble with directions, PM me.

WHO - Several members have signified interest in attending this very informal shoot. Me, Ron S Jr., James (jwbker), Chris (Calzinger), Peter (peter740), maybe Andy (Snafu). This looks like a merry bunch, anyone else who wants to go is most welcome!

WHAT TO BRING - Comfortable clothing, shoes. Bottled water. At least $10 for food (more if you have a huge appetite). Don't forget your camera. Wear something red, it's good luck!

WHAT TO EXPECT - There will be sightings of mythical creatures that cavort up and down the streets - dragons, unicorns and the more mundane lions. There will be lots of people, prepare to jostle a bit. Extended weather forecast predicts that there will be a few showers - certainly not enough to put a damper on the festivities. This may change as the day draws near.

Hope to see you folks! This is just the first NYC meet this year, we will have more to come!

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

sponsored links
Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 23, 2006 20:17 |  #2

Palladium (John) should be there, wearing red :D

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,479 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 23, 2006 20:22 |  #3

Ronald S. Jr. (Ronald S. Jr.) should be there, wearing a slightly darker red. :-D

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

lostdoggy
King Duffus
4,787 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 23, 2006 20:34 |  #4

Would like to join you guys but circumstance won't allow it. Prior engagement, have to do the family thing. Prior injury, Still recovering from knee surgery. But, by all means you guys have fun and take lots of pictures and don't forget to post them. Have Fun Y'All.

Calzinger
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 23, 2006 21:20 as a reply to  @ lostdoggy's post |  #5

lostdoggy wrote:
Would like to join you guys but circumstance won't allow it. Prior engagement, have to do the family thing. Prior injury, Still recovering from knee surgery. But, by all means you guys have fun and take lots of pictures and don't forget to post them. Have Fun Y'All.

I will definitely be posting my pictures on my website when I get back, but will have to do some post-processing of course. :)
Make sure you come to a future POTN meeting though!

Chris (Calzinger)
I'll be there for sure. My dad will be coming as well with his 35mm Minolta since I'll be using the 350D. He has no photography experience/knowledge and just uses auto and I'm very amateur as well; go easy on us guys!

I'm going to B&H since it's along the way to the 'very' downtown. I'm hoping my dad might go completely berserk and buy the 70-200 f/4L for the meet. The odds of that happening? 6%. But maybe I can look forward to some good wide shots since there's a lot of action.

Can we establish a way to distinguish each other there? Hopefully we will be the only photographers in front of starbucks, but it may help if we look for "guy with orange northface jacket or something". I'll be in a black leather jacket with a red polo shirt with a silver rebel XT with the kit lens and its lens hood, maybe even a flash unit because i like the weight. Anyway the dude in my avatar is me. :D

By the way Ronald, did you manage to find a hotel in the city?

"That building in the background is distracting."
"Oh OK, I'll move it out of the way next time."
internet forum fail

anttor
165 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 23, 2006 21:22 |  #6

ill be there!

[CENTER]canon ae-1 [35mmslr] [canon fd50mm / zykkor f28mm / vivitar 70-210mm]
canon rebel xt [dslr] [kit lens] [50mm 1.8]
canon optura xi [minidv]

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,697 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 23, 2006 21:28 as a reply to  @ anttor's post |  #7

I am quite disappointed. This is the first I've seen of this. I LOVE Chinatown. Eat in Wo Hops (downstairs) all the time. Used to eat at Nu Ling Hong, 69 Bayard Street since I was a kid. Loved Joy Luck on Mott until they "had the nerve to retire" after almost 50 years behind the wok.

Love Chinese New Year, except for the fireworks that sometimes get shot at the spectators.

Unfortunately, my 84 year old mother fell and broke her hip at her home in Florida. Alas, that's where I'll be this upcoming weekend.

Have fun. Look forward to the pics.

mark

Leorooster
Cream of the Crop
6,749 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 23, 2006 22:33 |  #8

Hmmm.......sounds it will be fun........unfortunate​ly, I won't be available the coming Sunday. Have fun guys and make sure to post some pics here :)

BB - you've done a great job coordinating this gathering. I will join you guys in future gathering. I guess we could have different theme each time, and we don't have to limit ourselves in the City :) Anyway, great job!

Canon 1DMarkIII :shock: | Canon 5DII :p | Fujifilm Finepix F30
Glasses & Goodies

peter740
47 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 23, 2006 23:21 as a reply to  @ Leorooster's post |  #9

I will be there but I don't know what I will wear...

RAW
601 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 24, 2006 00:51 as a reply to  @ peter740's post |  #10

Pio, Thank you for everything...I know time is valuable and to find time to organize is hard especially living in NY.

Unfortunately I work on Sunday and I leave work 3pm, therefore I can't come, and to think I had a red shirt...:( .

I hope we will see some photos from the day...and guys, enjoy...

Regards,

Artan
I have my G6s Kenko TC for sale...please PM.

Eos 2oD I EF50mm f/1.4 I 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS I 24-70L I 580ex.
PS G6 I 420ex I LA 52/58mm I Hoya HMC polarizer
Kenko KNT-20 2x I Raynox DCR 6600PRO .66x.
I'm lovin' it...:D

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,479 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 24, 2006 10:58 |  #11

No I did not, actually, chris. I think if everyone's only going to be there for the day, then I don't want to stay over. I'm not too crazy about wandering with all my gear when I'm alone. However, I plan on being there for the day, although there's something I'm wondering about. I'm not too keen on parking my caddy somewhere in the city, so my mother says I should just bus it in. Sound about right? I'll have to check times and schedules.

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,479 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 24, 2006 11:30 |  #12

Ha...scratch that. Be cheaper to drive. There's nothing getting there on the 29th until like 2:30, and they're gonna put me way up on 8th ave. the North end. Nooooo thank you.

Leorooster
Cream of the Crop
6,749 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 24, 2006 14:07 as a reply to  @ Ronald S. Jr.'s post |  #13

Ronald S. Jr. wrote:
Ha...scratch that. Be cheaper to drive. There's nothing getting there on the 29th until like 2:30, and they're gonna put me way up on 8th ave. the North end. Nooooo thank you.

What about driving to Flushing (another Chinatown in Queens) and park your car in the muni parking there (free on Sunday), there is bus services (well more like van) going directly from Flushing to Chinatown in Manhattan.

Canon 1DMarkIII :shock: | Canon 5DII :p | Fujifilm Finepix F30
Glasses & Goodies

Calzinger
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 24, 2006 19:12 |  #14

The weather is looking grim. :(

What lens(es) are you guys bringing?
I'll have my kit lens. Hopefully I'll be buying the 70-200 f/4L from B&H that morning.

"That building in the background is distracting."
"Oh OK, I'll move it out of the way next time."
internet forum fail

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,479 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 24, 2006 19:22 |  #15

I'm not too thrilled about leaving my cadillac in a parking garage...I just love it too much. For the rims that thing has on it, I'd probably find it on blocks when I went back. Just the rim (no tire) runs about $6-700 each, new. If I can't afford my 100-400L, I can't afford that. :lol:

I'm trying to figure out a way that my dad can go too, and then we'd just take his ram down. However, it's my dad, mom, and I here running the business, and my mom has like 196049769543 diseases, including diabetes, neuropathy, epstein barr, and a couple other goodies. So, we can't really leave her unless I can get a temp to come in and help. I'll just have to keep trying.

If the weather's gonna suck, I don't wanna even bother. It wouldn't be worth it, especially when it's costing me hundreds just to go for the day. Someone find out if it's gonna be awful. If it is, I'll wait for april.

sponsored links

9,470 views & 0 likes for this thread
NYC POTN Meet Chinatown Lunar New Year Jan 29
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.