Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jul 2013 (Friday) 21:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox softboxes, opinions?

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 19, 2013 21:49 |  #1

No experience with these. How's the build quality?

sponsored links
Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 20, 2013 10:23 |  #2

I asked a similar question eons ago and got no replies at all. I have a Godox AD-S7 softbox / folding beauty dish specifically for the Godox Witstro AD180 / 360 flash units (Cheetah CL180 / 360 in USA, Lencarta Atom 180 / 360 in UK & EU).

What prompted my query was dissatisfaction with many iterations of umbrella-frame softboxes - yes, specifically including certain American ones for the nay-sayers who may regard this as in ideal opportunity to denigrate anything made other than in the USA.

Based solely on that single version of quite a small softbox of very specific requirements, they seem to be as good as anything on the market other than the mega-expensive. This could be a distorted view as I've only used this single item which could be atypical.

I'll be most interested in other people's personal experiences (not interested in hypotheticals or regurgitations of apocryphal tales) - at present my tendency is to lean towards buying more Godox, but I'm not in a hurry so I'll wait and see.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 20, 2013 12:25 |  #3

Whortleberry wrote in post #16137369 (external link)
they seem to be as good as anything on the market other than the mega-expensive.

This is exactly what I was wondering. I own Photoflex and Westcott's and have been happy. Don't want to go lesser quality, but when I need new sizes I consider if there might be something else. Godox seems to offer some innovative gear well above the cheapest imports, so a possible candidate.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 20, 2013 15:02 |  #4

I didn't know that Godox makes umbrella frame soft boxes.
I have the same 19" unit that Phil has, and I too find it well made. Mine was an early sample and the stitching was iffy in a couple of places on the velcro. Not big deal but worth noting.
I've been told that later versions have that problem fixed.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 20, 2013 21:07 |  #5

Thank you. Just discovered both of you have excellent gear reviews respectively. Where have I been? And David, I've been admiring your architectural work on another thread. Glad to find a couple of resources with know-how, not just fat wallets.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 20, 2013 23:03 |  #6

^^^ Thanks.
Wallet isn't fat, but I do respect the value of having the proper kit to accomplish a job.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 11, 2013 01:54 |  #7

I purchased one not expecting a lot, but hoping for the best. Just received the Godox 50cm x 130cm stripbox which is roughly 19" x 51". Took two weeks to arrive from overseas. Oddly shipped without box, just wrapped in the case and a plastic garbage bag with lots of packing tape. Actually fine, no damage, and apparently allows them to ship "free" without passing much cost to the customer.

As for quality, it's comparable to mid-level modifiers from the better known US brands. So the value is good. Design and construction are better than the cheap imports. The material appears similar to my Westcott softboxes, which is relatively heavier but stiffer than Photoflex. All seams and corners are sewn well, though there were a few threads I had to clip. The rods are good quality, not too stiff, with nice aluminum tips. Assembly was straight forward, snug and requiring modest pressure. Two of the Velcro corners have flaps to make final assembly easier. If anything, I would like to see beefier Velcro used. Inner baffle and front cover are two different materials. The front diffusion cover is especially nice and easily slips over the softbox edges with good fit. This feature is better than any other softbox I own. Lastly, I was happy to find a Bowens-mount speedring included. This was not mentioned in the description so an extra value. Guess it's not lucky if you don't have Bowens type strobes, so I would suggest asking if they offer other mounts.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 11, 2013 08:54 |  #8

I've seen in some other places, choice for type of adapter. Maybe the Bowens is default and the others are available upon request. Sounds like a nice box.

Personally, I am a big fan of the foldable boxes. That's why I like the 19" foldable dish. Just wish there reasonably priced options for the two that Quantum offer with the mount that works directly with the Godox/Cheetah Light.

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 12, 2013 15:31 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #9

A quick look at their website shows all regular softboxes come with Bowens speedring to fit their strobes. Guess I was thinking they were a third party supplier of accessories, but their product line is a complete brand in itself.

The whole Wistro/Cheetah Light line is tempting. But tough choice with existing investment in Speedlites primarily for location and monolights in studio. Replacement or just another option?

isvein
135 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 27, 2015 06:17 |  #10

Im thinking of trying the strip boxes from them myself, just need some that works, does not have the money for the big brands.

Olympus OM1-2, OLM 12-40 F2.8 pro, OLM 40.150 F2.8 pro, OLM 60mm macro 2.8, OLM 45mm 1.2 pro

sponsored links

10,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Godox softboxes, opinions?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.