Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 17:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice is needed: Leica or Fujifilm x-Pro1 or X-E1?

sjones
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 24, 2013 15:50 as a reply to  @ post 16150539 |  #16

Keep in mind that other companies produce Leica-M mount lenses, including Zeiss and Voigtlander. Perhaps not as refined as the Leica lenses, these lenses still offer great quality at more affordable prices.

Plus, there's the used Leica route, although you have to go back pretty far to get an inexpensive variant, as they retain their value. But if you go far back to the Leica screw mount (LTM/M39) era, you can pick up some pretty decent lenses by Canon, Nikon, Zeiss and others, along with the Leicas, of course. You just need a simple M-mount adaptor to use these LTM lenses.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Manual Focus; only for street photography amateurs...
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

sponsored links
Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 25, 2013 19:04 |  #17

sjones wrote in post #16150586 (external link)
Keep in mind that other companies produce Leica-M mount lenses, including Zeiss and Voigtlander. Perhaps not as refined as the Leica lenses, these lenses still offer great quality at more affordable prices.

Plus, there's the used Leica route, although you have to go back pretty far to get an inexpensive variant, as they retain their value. But if you go far back to the Leica screw mount (LTM/M39) era, you can pick up some pretty decent lenses by Canon, Nikon, Zeiss and others, along with the Leicas, of course. You just need a simple M-mount adaptor to use these LTM lenses.

Thanks, you pointed out something important. I can use the Zeiss and Voigtlanders until I graduate to Leica lens (once I win the Super Lotto). I do have som Leica M39 mount that have used with adaptor on the M42 mounts. A good time to use them. So Leica is!. As soon as I can, I will post samples.

BTW, someone mentioned that the M8 needs UV/IR Cut filter. Can someone explain is that is really necessary>?
Thanks, Pepe

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

spamster
910 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 25, 2013 20:10 |  #18

I had the X-Pro1 and sold it in favor of the X-E1's smaller size. Do you require an OVF? If so go with the X-Pro1. If you're okay with EVF and a smaller body then go for the X-E1. Either way they both produce lovely images. Depends on your needs. I would like a Leica but it's not in my budget.

Gear List

Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 26, 2013 11:00 |  #19

spamster wrote in post #16154250 (external link)
I had the X-Pro1 and sold it in favor of the X-E1's smaller size. Do you require an OVF? If so go with the X-Pro1. If you're okay with EVF and a smaller body then go for the X-E1. Either way they both produce lovely images. Depends on your needs. I would like a Leica but it's not in my budget.

Some people swear taht the best combination is a Leica lens on the Fujifilm x-pro1. I would love to try that. Have you tried a Leica lens on your x-e1?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,142 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 26, 2013 12:09 |  #20

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #16155614 (external link)
Some people swear taht the best combination is a Leica lens on the Fujifilm x-pro1. I would love to try that. Have you tried a Leica lens on your x-e1?

Not sure why people would make this claim. Fuji makes some excellent optics, and I really find it hard to believe that leica would make anything substantially better (if even better).

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 26, 2013 15:21 |  #21

Charlie wrote in post #16155796 (external link)
Not sure why people would make this claim. Fuji makes some excellent optics, and I really find it hard to believe that leica would make anything substantially better (if even better).

I think you might be right in this day and age.

But are you ready to live with a camera that's simply "good enough"?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 26, 2013 16:17 |  #22

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #16147471 (external link)
Also, if I am missing something, please feel free to tell me. I really appreciate your advice, I need it. Pepe

For my landscape photography here in the Rocky Mountains, I carry two cameras - Sigma DP1 Merrill (19mm) and Sigma DP3 Merrill (50mm). At ISO 100 and 200 they are outstanding. I avoid shooting them over ISO 400 though. Raw files are huge - in the 55 mb range - and you have to use Sigma's software to convert to other formats (I usually export as 16-bit TIFFs in ProRGB and import into Aperture for further edits). But only the Nikon D800 exceeds the resolution of these cameras, which are 1.5x APS-C and are roughly equivalent to a 30 mpix Bayer image.

I have had a Fuji X-E1 for about 6 months now and it is a fabulous camera. At 16 mpix, it has the same resolving power as my 5D Mark II but less than half the weight. It also provides a stop more of dynamic range. I only have two Fuji lenses for it - the 18-55 and 14mm - and they are superb. I recently sold my Zeiss 21mm ZE because the Fuji/14mm is just as good optically and a lot lighter. I also use it with several Canon FD and Zeiss C/Y manual focus lenses from the film days. The EVF, focus magnification and peaking make it pretty easy to focus, plus when you stop down the EVF brightens. The EVF can be sluggish to update in poor light or if you stop down to past f/11 or so. But it's great for carrying around, travel, landscape and candids.

My 5Dii isn't getting much use anymore, mostly for portraiture work. It's really heavy compared to the Fuji and the Sigmas. I have sold several lenses and will sell a few more. I only plan to keep the 24-70, 50 f/1.4, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L IS, and 150mm macro, plus my three Canon flashes for studio work.

Very happy with the XE-1 and Sigmas

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 26, 2013 19:23 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #23

I've gone full circle myself, going from a NEX-6 to an XE-1, to now a RX1. Though I did get a great deal on a used NEX-7 to help build up my manual collection for the anticipated NEX-7 update or the FF-NEX.

the XE-1 just didn't fit with me. I bought it, tried it with the kit zoom and even ordered the 35 1.4 but something with the camera didn't fit me. Maybe it was the grip, but even after buying the Fuji grip it wasn't comfortable. The EVF lag, the lower resolution rear screen, even the cheesy graphic when deleting files. The JPEGs were really nice OOC, but it felt hollow and empty.

The RX1 I bought like new from Amazon for almost $700 off retail, so while still expensive, it was a pretty good deal. It feels substantial. The RAW files are tremendous, the pop that the Zeiss lens has is great. But after using it for almost a month I understand its limitations. I don't like that peaking only works in magnified view. While I do like the leaf shutter, I don't like that it doesn't have a remote shutter option. I've gotten used to the grip. Battery life could be better. I don't have the EVF so I can't comment on its quality. While I do like the 35mm lens and used a Zeiss 24 on the 6 when I had it, I do miss wide angle shots. The lack of tilting screen does bother me. And for some reason knowing that the camera is so expensive I feel like I need to be way too careful with it. That's not to say that I throw my gear around, but I do like to not have to feel like I should be wearing surgical gloves.

I did pick up a EOS M for the wife and while its a nice camera for her, I could never make it my main. The lack of manual control, the spotty AF, the lack of good manual focusing tools, etc make it a green box camera that's an improvement over her old P&S.

All this has brought me back to buying a NEX-7 for a really good deal, adding a few Speed Boosters and picking up some good quality lenses. I just picked up a C/Y Zeiss 50 1.7 for a great price and will pair it with a Speed Booster. I'm awaiting the NEX-7 replacement and which point ill sell the newly acquired 7 and not take that big a loss or the long awaited FF NEX.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 26, 2013 21:02 |  #24

Tony-S wrote in post #16156394 (external link)
For my landscape photography here in the Rocky Mountains, I carry two cameras - Sigma DP1 Merrill (19mm) and Sigma DP2 Merrill (50mm). At ISO 100 and 200 they are outstanding. I avoid shooting them over ISO 400 though. Raw files are huge - in the 55 mb range - and you have to use Sigma's software to convert to other formats (I usually export as 16-bit TIFFs in ProRGB and import into Aperture for further edits). But only the Nikon D800 exceeds the resolution of these cameras, which are 1.5x APS-C and are roughly equivalent to a 30 mpix Bayer image.

I try not to plug in my sigmas in every thread cause it gets old, but... ;) the above post echoes my experience with pre-merrill DP1 and DP2. I use them as uncoupled rangefinders, but the image quality up to ISO400 is wonderful.

Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 26, 2013 22:00 |  #25

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16156998 (external link)
I try not to plug in my sigmas in every thread cause it gets old, but... ;) the above post echoes my experience with pre-merrill DP1 and DP2. I use them as uncoupled rangefinders, but the image quality up to ISO400 is wonderful.

My friend had the DP1 and DP2 and is selling them to me at $600 a piece. I know one sells for $700+ and the other for $1,100+ when new. However, the size of the files and pp is what is laborious. And you need two cameras, one for wide angle and another for normal lens. I have not removed that possibility, but the proprietary pp is what bothers me. I use LR4.

Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 26, 2013 22:02 |  #26

TMaG82 wrote in post #16156826 (external link)
... The RX1 I bought like new from Amazon for almost $700 off retail, so while still expensive, it was a pretty good deal. It feels substantial. The RAW files are tremendous, the pop that the Zeiss lens has is great. But after using it for almost a month I understand its limitations. I don't like that peaking only works in magnified view. While I do like the leaf shutter, I don't like that it doesn't have a remote shutter option. I've gotten used to the grip. Battery life could be better. I don't have the EVF so I can't comment on its quality. While I do like the 35mm lens and used a Zeiss 24 on the 6 when I had it, I do miss wide angle shots. The lack of tilting screen does bother me. And for some reason knowing that the camera is so expensive I feel like I need to be way too careful with it. That's not to say that I throw my gear around, but I do like to not have to feel like I should be wearing surgical gloves.

The SOny rx1 is nice camera with a high ISO tolerance.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 26, 2013 22:05 |  #27

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #16157127 (external link)
My friend had the DP1 and DP2 and is selling them to me at $600 a piece. I know one sells for $700+ and the other for $1,100+ when new. However, the size of the files and pp is what is laborious. And you need two cameras, one for wide angle and another for normal lens. I have not removed that possibility, but the proprietary pp is what bothers me. I use LR4.

I haven't used lightroom since the beta release, so I can't comment on how it compares.

The sigma software provides all of the major adjustments to the raw files and their "fill light" feature is great. 16 bit tiffs can be exported and I imagine processed further down the road.

Pepe ­ Guitarra
THREAD ­ STARTER
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 26, 2013 22:45 |  #28

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16157145 (external link)
I haven't used lightroom since the beta release, so I can't comment on how it compares.

The sigma software provides all of the major adjustments to the raw files and their "fill light" feature is great. 16 bit tiffs can be exported and I imagine processed further down the road.

Doc:
I like your signature, you may add the following:

EFFECT: (Noun) The result of you doing something
AFFECT: (Verb) The changes that result of an action

PRINCIPAL: The director of the school, also, the amount of money you owe.
PRINCIPLE: A rule or value that grow out of our beliefs.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2013 09:03 |  #29

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16156998 (external link)

Choosing a camera has an algorithm for me:

IF shot can be made with Sigma, use it
OTHERWISE
IF shot can be made with Fuji, use it
ELSE use Canon

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 27, 2013 09:07 |  #30

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #16157234 (external link)
Doc:
I like your signature, you may add the following:

EFFECT: (Noun) The result of you doing something
AFFECT: (Verb) The changes that result of an action

While usage of "affect" as a noun is mostly antiquated, it is acceptable in old English. And "effect" is commonly used as a transitive verb. But you are correct that these words are often misused.

sponsored links

4,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice is needed: Leica or Fujifilm x-Pro1 or X-E1?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.